Advertisement

Archive for Thursday, July 11, 2013

100 years ago: Under new law, area farmers begin registering names for their farms

July 11, 2013

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for July 11, 1913:

  • "Several of the farmers over the county have taken advantage of the law that was passed by the state legislature in 1911, by which they might attach a name to their respective farms and have them registered at the county clerk's office. Herman Brocker has been registering these names since the law was passed and now has quite a collection. The law was passed in order to protect the farmers to some extent. After they have registered their names and paid the nominal fee of $1, the name cannot be placed on any other farm in the county and the law acts as sort of a patent."
  • "A good time and lots of it is the plan for the annual picnic of the Butchers and Grocers of Lawrence July 17. On a week from tomorrow, if the man can stand it to wait so long and other things go as they are arranged, there will assemble at Woodland, a crowd of pleasure-seekers calculated to have some fun and also make considerable impression upon the supply of eatables."
  • "Between four and five hundred children, ranging from little tots up, will be given an opportunity next week to show their parents and friends how much fun it is to belong to the playgrounds movement that has proved popular with the younger generation this summer. Under the supervision of the playground directors, the little folks will entertain their guests by having a good time themselves. No fixed programs have been prepared; the exhibitions are simply for the purpose of letting the older people see what goes on at the parks on ordinary occasions."
  • "Lawrence may yet have a chautauqua this summer, if the proper boosting spirit is shown when the representative comes in a few days to look over the ground. If this is done, Woodland Park may be the scene of five afternoons and evenings of entertainment, similar to those given here last year. August 11 is the date set for the opening as this date is the most favorable to the local management and also to the chautauqua department of the Wichita Film and Supply Company that would furnish the speakers."

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.