Archive for Sunday, July 7, 2013

40 years ago: KU Faculty Club makes plans for new facility

July 7, 2013


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for July 7, 1973:

  • The plan of the Kansas University Faculty Club to remodel the old Phi Kappa Tau house at 1120 W. 11th had fallen through. Another plan, suggested by the KU Endowment Association executive committee, was to investigate the possibility of building a new facility on association-owned land between 12th and 13th Streets on the east side of Oread. The abandonment of the original plan had come about because of the $220,000 required to remodel the old building, the problems of providing for adequate parking and traffic flow, and the walking distance to campus. The new plan, on the other hand, offered a better location, a new structure, and a pleasant view. A topographic map was now being made of the Oread site, with preliminary house plans to follow.
  • Hank Booth, who had recently completed two years of military service, was named this week as manager of the KLWN radio station in Lawrence. An article today reported that Hank was the son of Arden Booth, who had founded the station 23 years earlier and who had been actively directing the organization since its beginning. The senior Booth was now expecting to allocate more time toward his work as State Senator from this district and to the management of a registered Hereford cattle program. Hank Booth, 27, had begun working at the station in his teens and had also been employed by stations in California and New Mexico.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.