Archive for Friday, July 5, 2013

100 years ago: While Lawrence enjoys ‘safe and sane’ Fourth, county sheriff breaks up ‘keg party’ on Eudora road

July 5, 2013


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for July 5, 1913:

  • "July Fourth, 1913, has passed into the archives of the country. That section of the history which chronicles the day in Lawrence must declare that it was the most glorious and the most enjoyable Fourth that the people of this city and of Douglas County have ever know. Lawrence and Douglas County people spent the day at Woodland Park, that is about 15,000 of them did. They went out to the park early in the morning and it was late in the night before the last street car had brought in the final quota of celebrators. All day long the park was crowded, it was a busy place, and those who had been attracted to Lawrence by the advance notices of the day were not in the least disappointed.... Unparalleled is the only word that fittingly describes the celebration and that word is only used because a more expressive one is not available. The crowd yesterday was the largest that ever assembled in Lawrence. Those who know declare that it was larger than the old Bismarck crowds.... In the evening an immense crowd gathered at the Park for the band concert and for the grand display of fireworks. This was the real 'Fourth of July' feature of the day.... It was a big day and yet a pleasant one for all and everyone should feel happy over the results. The finest part of it all was that in this crowd there was not a drunken man, no disorderly conduct of any kind and only genuine satisfaction."
  • "There were a total of fifteen patients cared for at the Emergency Hospital which was in operation at the park yesterday during the Fourth of July celebration. Among the patients was a child who fell on a broken pop bottle and sustained a cut on his hand and wrist. The accident caused the little fellow much pain but it is not serious. A case of severe nose-bleed also was cared for.... Another patient was Manager Edmondson of the Lawrence ball team. Bob was spiked in the first inning of the game in attempting to catch a runner sliding into second. He sustained a severe cut on the back of his hand which will probably keep him out of the game for some time."
  • "There was only one incident to keep Sheriff Billie Cummings and his force from enjoying a complete holiday yesterday. Late in the afternoon the sheriff received a call from Eudora that there was a keg party in session which required the attendance of the officials. The sheriff buzzed down in his new speed wagon and soon had broken up the little party. He met the bunch just about three miles this side of Eudora in a large wagon. There were about ten in the party and they were having the time of their lives. Upon the examination of the wagon the sheriff located a sixteen gallon keg, which was entirely empty and looked as if it had had usage. Upon this evidence the sheriff arrested the whole crowd.... The sheriff put three of the men in his car and started back to town, while the others came on in the wagon. While the wagon was coming up Connecticut it was met by the fire department which was making a run down the street and it is thought that in some way one of the fire wagons struck one of the boards across the wagon occupied by the beer party and dumped the whole crowd out on the pavement."


mom_of_three 4 years, 11 months ago

I like "buzzed down in his new speed wagon"

Clint Church 4 years, 11 months ago

Sarah, do you know when Woodland park quit being a place where everyone went and why?

workinghard 4 years, 11 months ago

"Woodland Park was owned by the Lawrence Light & Railway Company. Today Brook Creek Park exists where the park once was. Ironically after the park closed in the early 1920s, many of the buildings and rides were left abandoned until a flood in 1951 washed them away. "

FlintlockRifle 4 years, 11 months ago

Miss Sarah, another great find, keep them coming, love the wording of days of old

Commenting has been disabled for this item.