From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for July 1, 1973:
- The Kansas Park and Resources Authority recently had approved plans for restrooms, an observation tower, and a shelter house at Wells Park. When word of the approval had been received by the Douglas County Commission this week, commissioners approved contracts for the work with local builder Kenneth Klingenberg. The observation tower was to cost $9,405; the shelter house, $6,388; and the restrooms, $5,554.
- Fire calls this week included a fire caused by shorted wiring in a car owned by Rosalie James, 1026 New Jersey, on a county road about two miles northeast of Lawrence. Overheated grease had caused another small blaze at the home of Robert Allison, 518 Kasold. A passing motorist had reported smoke coming from the Elks Club, 3705 W. 23rd, but firefighters reported finding no fire at the site.