Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Lawrence man found guilty of animal cruelty after tying dog’s hind legs

January 29, 2013

A 23-year-old Lawrence man was found guilty of misdemeanor animal cruelty Tuesday in a bench trial in Douglas County District Court.

Byron Anthony Snowton was arrested Oct. 24 after animal control officers found a dog tied by its hind legs and unable to stand in a yard outside an apartment building in the 800 block of Michigan Street. The dog’s legs were bound with plastic ties used as handcuffs by military police, which Snowton said he possessed because of his service in the Kansas National Guard. Animal control officers took the dog to a local veterinarian and then to the Lawrence Humane Society.

Jennifer Stone, the staff veterinarian for the Human Society, testified Tuesday that the dog had suffered pain, swelling, and minor abrasions from the bindings but no permanent damage. The dog is currently in good health and in the custody of the Humane Society, she said.

Snowton testified that he left the dog temporarily to seek medical treatment after the dog bit him, leaving a wound that required 12 stitches on one finger. He said he first took the dog outside to calm it and bound its legs to prevent it from biting others while he was at the hospital. Later that evening, police arrested Snowton at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Douglas County District Judge Michael Malone said Snowton was guilty because he had knowingly injured the dog by his actions, even if there was not malicious intent. A hearing on Thursday will decide sentencing and the future custody of the dog.

* To view recent LJWorld crime stories, click here.

* Click here to view the weekly arrest log.

Comments

Kevin Haislip 1 year, 2 months ago

you all are the biggest bunch of people haters i have ever seen . put the man down . save the crazy dog..

toe 1 year, 2 months ago

Any one wanting to own a pet should have to register and have a background check. Those with criminal records or mental illness should be prohibited. A license for ownership should expire annual have have to be renewed or the pet should be removed from the home.

nytemayr 1 year, 2 months ago

I believe the judge was in error on this one. There was no malicious intent. The person was injured and required medical care. The dog was not injured. The dog was discovered in distress but not in a life threatening condition.

I feel for the dog but I hope there is a judical review of this and the charges are dropped. Really this is a seriously BAD ruliing by a judge!

I know most of you will jump all over me but you don't want this to stand on the books. This ruling can be used for all sorts of mischief!-

Hawkanator 1 year, 2 months ago

The dog probably bit him because he was abusing it. People who abuse animals are sick, vile pieces of humanity. I say we do the same thing to him as he did to the animal.

bad_dog 1 year, 2 months ago

"He said he first took the dog outside to calm it and bound its legs to prevent it from biting others while he was at the hospital."

Nothing calms and prevents an animal from biting more than binding its legs and placing it outdoors where it could be exposed to human interactions. This guy missed his calling to a career in risk management.

patkindle 1 year, 2 months ago

i suppose this would be different if he was a rich college kid in a fraternity and the animal involved was a turkey??

none2 1 year, 2 months ago

We really do need to know why the dog bit him. Is the dog an aggressive dog, or did this owner do something to provoke him. I'm not excusing the owner, but we need to know what started this series of events.

I would also say that animal cruelty is not limited to dog owners. There are very mean veterinarians who never should have been in that profession. Years ago, my grandma had a dog who was having health problems. She took it to a vet in Liberal, KS. The vet tried to feel his stomach when the dog snapped at him. At that point, he declared that it was an untamed dog and he would do nothing further. The dog died two days later. The diagnosis was something like a liver disease. The dog died with a lot of pain over a period of hours.

I wish I knew the name of this vet as he was a disgusting man. In my books he should have been thrown out of his profession, fined, and stuck in jail for a while. (I'd say more about my feelings about what he deserves, but I don't want my post censured.)

A dog in pain is going to snap at anyone when you try to touch the painful area. At a minimum the vet should have provided some pain relief for that dog. My grandma was devastated not only by the loss of a dog she dearly loved, but by the painfully slow way he died.

PwopellewCap 1 year, 2 months ago

How long has Snowton been a member of a KU frat?

naturalist 1 year, 2 months ago

No matter what, please don't return this dog to him. He is obviously too stupid to care for another living creature.

Keith Richards 1 year, 2 months ago

A leash or a kennel is what most people would use to restrain a dog. What a sick, warped mind this guy must have.

myop 1 year, 2 months ago

They absolutely should NOT return the dog to him. He deserves a loving, caring, safe home.

introversion 1 year, 2 months ago

Did anyone inquire as to what was going on that caused the dog to bite him in the first place?

Keymistress 1 year, 2 months ago

I fervently pray that the do not return the animal to the so-called owner. I think it has suffered enough at his hands, and hope he is adopted by someone who will give him love. Far too often animals are abused and no they have no alternative but to try and defend themselves. We are supposed to care for God's creatures and what this person did isn't even in the ballpark.