Archive for Thursday, January 24, 2013

KU student arrested on felony drug charges Wednesday night

January 24, 2013

An 18-year-old Kansas University student was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of felony possession of marijuana and other drug charges.

KU Public Safety officers arrested Cooper Christensen, of Medicine Lodge, at Oliver Hall dormitory Wednesday afternoon. He was booked into Douglas County Jail about 6 p.m. and released on a $28,250 bond. According to the booking log at the jail, he is suspected of felony offenses including possession and distribution of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

KU Public Safety Capt. Schuyler Bailey said officers seized more than 28 grams of marijuana, but the exact quantity and other details about the case were not available Thursday. Christensen has been arrested but not yet charged.

• To view recent LJWorld crime stories, click here.

Click here to view the weekly arrest log.

Comments

Bursting 1 year, 8 months ago

Lol FELONY? Poor Kansans...

orbiter 1 year, 8 months ago

28 grams is a felony? wtf? Marijuana laws are criminal.

gccs14r 1 year, 8 months ago

It says more than 28 grams, but doesn't say how much more. Dude could have had five pounds of pot in his room. I don't think pot possession should result in felony charges regardless of amount, but I don't make the rules.

Jean Robart 1 year, 8 months ago

so is possession. Live with it.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 8 months ago

No, don't 'live with it', work to change the law. Jury nullification is a great start! Prohibition has never worked and never will.

flyin_squirrel 1 year, 8 months ago

Tuesday was enforce seatbelt law day. Wednesday was enforce Marijuana Laws day. Anyone get the memo on what was being enforced on Thursday? Probably underage drinking.

parrothead8 1 year, 8 months ago

Since when have seatbelts been illegal?

flyin_squirrel 1 year, 8 months ago

No, just making fun of the LPD for announcing on Tuesday that they are going to write tickets for not wearing a seatbelt. Shouldn't that be a ticket everyday if it is the law?

msezdsit 1 year, 8 months ago

In the course of every day, since the Jan 1, I go through 5 or 6 speed traps minimally, and that is in less than 15 miles. I guess the cops all got ahold of way too much testosterone for christmas. They are really cracking down on the hardcore criminals. 18 year olds going to college. Yep, they are a real threat.

globehead 1 year, 8 months ago

Just don't ride your motorcycle inside of your car or they'll nail you on a technicality.

Just kidding....I think.

ridikkulus 1 year, 8 months ago

Now my brain is singing to me, "I don't want a pickle..."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 8 months ago

"released on a $28,250 bond"

The guy who went nuts randomly attacking vehicles and then a police officer was released on a $3500 bond.

ksjayhawk74 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, but he was just destroying several people's property and attacking a police officer.

But this guy had WEED!!!

justoneperson 1 year, 8 months ago

Have you ever attacked vehicles?

Well, have you ever attacked vehicles on weed?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 8 months ago

"vehicles on weed"

Vehicles on catnip is a much more serious situation.

swampyankee 1 year, 8 months ago

College without weed is like peanut butter without jelly

Jean Robart 1 year, 8 months ago

I managed quite well peanut butter without jelly in college.

ridikkulus 1 year, 8 months ago

I couldn't afford jelly, either. But I was the nerd who thought putting coffee beans in a condenser was a good idea.

irnmadn88 1 year, 8 months ago

1 US ounce = 28.35 grams giver or take, hence the more than 28 number...

Note that bail is reported as $28,250... Nearly $1000 a gram?

msezdsit 1 year, 8 months ago

28 grams of marijuana and paraphernalia. Utterly absolutely ridiculous. lpd should be ashamed of themselves wasting tax payer money and causing this kid all kinds of problems. The punishment he has already gone through way overwhelms anything he did.

pathetic, just pathetic.

Bigdog66046 1 year, 8 months ago

Well if you read the article it was KUPD that arrested him, and MORE than 28 grams.

msezdsit 1 year, 8 months ago

doesn't matter its still pathetic.

DillonBarnes 1 year, 8 months ago

Direct your anger at your representatives, blaming the police for enforcing the law won't accomplish anything.

mdfraz 1 year, 8 months ago

Exactly right. Whether cops or prosecutors AGREE with the law is irrelevant; their job is to enforce the laws on the books. You don't think weed should be illegal? Talk to the state legislature instead of whining about the cops on a message board.

jafs 1 year, 8 months ago

That's funny.

Although you're right that the legislature makes the laws and can change them, what chance do you think there is that the very conservative (in the modern sense of the word) legislature in KS would ever legalize marijuana?

RaynRavyn 1 year, 8 months ago

So, should the cops and prosicuters just decide "I don't agree with this law, so go home"? There are a lot of laws that could be applied to... Opionion is not a good basis for enforcement. That is why we have laws...

Katara 1 year, 8 months ago

I now have a great idea to propose to our conservative legislators on how to make that Agri-tourism a booming business in KS so as to offset the lost revenue in income taxes....

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 8 months ago

Is it okay to whine about the cops when they selectively enforce the law. . .professional courtesy. . .(wink, wink) (nudge, nudge)

ridikkulus 1 year, 8 months ago

Even back when I was in college, a Grateful Dead sticker was considered "probable cause".

kernal 1 year, 8 months ago

Coop, you should have gone to school in Colorado.

28 grams. If we're not going to legalize it, we at least need to make some reasonable and logical changes on the sentencing guidelines for non-violent versus violent crimes. The guidelines the judges have to follow for sentencing are plain ridiculous.

How on earth did the we come up with the current sentencing guidelines? Are they left over from the 50's and 60's when it was a woman's fault for being raped and an ounce of K-Pot was a monumental drug bust?

cletus26 1 year, 8 months ago

well i be.... It's always right til you get caught. had he been more careful he wouldn't had got caught; yeah right!!

Armored_One 1 year, 8 months ago

Is there something wrong with having fun that doesn't involve alcohol or recreational drugs? Or is rampaging stupidity the only way you know how to have fun?

jonas_opines 1 year, 8 months ago

You're under the impression that just because we think it's terrible to deprive people of personal choice in the matter of alcohol or recreational drug use, we can't have fun without alcohol or drugs?

You're under the impression that any use of either is going to be "rampaging stupidity"?

Just trying to clarify. Me, I simply think our priorities are completely out of whack, as Bozo's post on comparative bail illustrates pretty effectively. But there are a lot of fearful, ignorant people, who have bought into decades of propaganda by teetotalers, and their extremism creates extremist responses, unfortunately.

Armored_One 1 year, 8 months ago

If fun mandates having one or both of those types of items, that is fundementally stupid. Not saying someone IS stupid, just the need is stupid. Yes, I agree that the punishment system is in dire need of a drastic overhaul, top to bottom. But, honestly, there are a great many people that insist fun requires at least one if not both. No, I'm not backing down from that stance, either, so don't bother trying to change my mind. I buried a friend that overdosed and watched three others drink themselves to death, more or less. Gave it a good shot myself.

Fun doesn't need drugs or booze. If it did, little kids would be issued them at recess.

jonas_opines 1 year, 8 months ago

"As a recovering alcoholic and former drug addict, I'm entitled to call it rampaging stupidity."

No, you're not. Your own inability to control yourself does not equate to other people being incapable.

Armored_One 1 year, 7 months ago

Jonas, from one adult to another, although I suppose you could be a minor... Eat my shorts.

Since I have been on both sides of the fence, I have a much wider appreciation for the issue. I'm going to assume, since you provide a stunning lack of any evidence to the contrary, that you are either in denial about your addictions or have never sampled much of anything along those lines, you have a less than broad overlook.

It's kind of like a dog trying to teach a cat how to be a fish.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

first it's the zoning, then it's the hippies, then the protesting class in general, then it's the strongarm for donation to some cause or other etc., and now just shutting him down by KUPD in the process of his business. there's lawrence's antibusiness climate for ya'.

[note, I'm not propot, and in fact, don't even drink, so am consistent.]

jj14 1 year, 8 months ago

Sad day in Lawrence...what a WASTE of time/energy/taxpayer money. When I first saw the headline I was expecting cocaine, or something substantial. Cannot BELIEVE the bond they charged him!! Disgusting.

kernal 1 year, 8 months ago

Now that I've actually had a full seven hours sleep and coffee, how much pot is considered felony possession and what were the other drug charges? Seems to me there must be something more substantial about this situation for a $28,250 bond.

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 8 months ago

More than an ounce (28 grams is just short of an ounce), can be charged as a felony, particularly if it is packaged for resale. The other charges, as noted in the story, were intent to distribute and possession of drug paraphernalia. The reason for the high bond is not yet clear. We will follow this story. Ian LJW

otto 1 year, 8 months ago

A dime bag was sold for $10.00 but I don't ever remember getting an ounce for $10.00

Royce 1 year, 8 months ago

His dad is a lawyer...I hope he is a good one.

Maggie Morrissey 1 year, 8 months ago

That kid is going to be singing like a bird to lessen his steamy pile of trouble he just stepped in!!! I bet there is a lot of dumpin and layin low right about now!!! hahahaha