Archive for Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Repairs under way after gas leak prompts evacuation at Kennedy School

January 23, 2013, 1:50 p.m. Updated January 23, 2013, 2:58 p.m.


Black Hills Energy shut off service to Kennedy School, 1605 Davis Road, Wednesday afternoon after the school was evacuated because of a gas leak, officials said.

Kennedy School staff evacuated the building after smelling a gas odor shortly before dismissal, and then dismissed students from the playground at the regularly scheduled time, 1:30 p.m., said Lawrence school district spokeswoman Julie Boyle.

The school reported the gas odor to Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical and the gas company, Black Hills Energy. The gas company shut off service to the building and found a leak in a pipe fitting outside the building, near the cafeteria.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical crews were at the school investigating the report Wednesday afternoon. District facilities and maintenance staff are making repairs.

The school has 232 students and about 50 faculty and staff employees, Boyle said. The Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence is able to use the gymnasium and playgrounds for its regularly scheduled after-school programs this afternoon and will dismiss at its regular time. School staff have returned to the building for their Wednesday collaboration time. Kennedy is notifying parents about the evacuation.


Currahee 5 years, 2 months ago

Thankfully this didnt develop into something worse. I would like to take this opportunity to remember those lives lost at the new london school in the 1920s. Had it not been for them we would not have chemicals that give off an odor when gas leaks. It is because of them events like this do not become severe.

Tara Painter 5 years, 2 months ago

this is actually the second time this school year that there was a leak, parents were only told a couple of hours afterwards. I checked a site on our local schools and out of a 10 Kennedy scored a 3. Very disappointing.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.