Archive for Tuesday, January 22, 2013

KU student critically injured in accident at Iowa Street and Harvard Road

January 22, 2013, 1:31 p.m. Updated January 22, 2013, 4:38 p.m.

Tuesday bicyclist accident

Shortly before 1 p.m. Tuesday, a truck heading north on Iowa Street collided with a bicycle near the Harvard Road intersection, sending the cyclist to the hospital with critical injuries. Enlarge video

A truck northbound on Iowa Street collided with a cyclist at the intersection of Harvard Road around 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, critically injuring the cyclist.

McKinley said the truck driver was not injured. No citations had been issued Tuesday afternoon.

A LifeStar helicopter landed at Centennial Park and picked up a critically injured patient who was involved in an accident shortly before 1 p.m. Tuesday at Iowa Street and Harvard Road.

A cyclist was transported by helicopter with critical injuries in an accident with a car about 12:50 p.m. Tuesday at Iowa Street and Harvard Road. One lane of northbound traffic was stopped near the accident at about 1 p.m.

Police are not releasing the accident victim's name until his family is notified.

Google Map

Tuesday accident

View Tuesday morning truck/bicycle accident in a larger map

Scenes from a Tuesday truck and bicycle accident in Lawrence.

Comments

Stuart Evans 1 year, 11 months ago

Help me understand what you're praying for. I suppose you could be praying that they make a full recovery, but I've got to wonder why a god would have allowed the accident and misery in the first place. Surely it's part of some divine plan, and if that's the case, who are you to plead to god to change its mind.. I just don't understand A) why people have to make a public statement displaying the prayers they're giving; and B) why so many people feel compelled to lobby god to change his unknowable divine plans.

guesswho 1 year, 11 months ago

That isn't helpful. I know many nonbelievers who would feel comfort knowing that others are praying for them in this situation. It can be interpreted as sending good thoughts, best wishes, or anything along that line.

John Sickels 1 year, 11 months ago

At a minimum it is an expression of concern for the victim. Don't be a jackass and try to turn this into an atheist/theist debate. Someone might die and it is in extremely poor taste to try and turn this into a theological argument.

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 11 months ago

You sir are not normal. Perhaps when you one day experience personal loss on a level so great that it brings you to your knees then you will understand why people express thoughts of kindness and prayer. Its not about changing God's mind. God's will is what it is and there is no changing that. In the mean time, I will pray for the man injured in this horrific accident, the driver and yourself.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

I too will be praying for this young man, not trying to change His Mind, but to show caring. My God is very real to me, and I think some respect should be shown to those who find solace in prayer and belief, no matter what that faith may be.

I respect your right to be atheist and I do not have to understand your reasons for choosing this path. All I am asking for is respect for all.

Stuart Evans 1 year, 11 months ago

I refuse to respect everyone's beliefs. Some people have crazy ideas that gods live on a planet near a distant star, or that government should tell people how to dress or who they can have sex with.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 11 months ago

Your comments add nothing to the conversation at hand though they do distract from the genuine expressions of concern. There is a time and a place for everything. You chose the wrong venue. Your comments are the mirror image of Rev. Phelps. He, like you, has a right to express his opinions. He, like you, chooses the wrong venue.

Phoghorn 1 year, 11 months ago

Very well said, frankie8. A "like" from me.

shaunepec 1 year, 11 months ago

The cyclist was the person transported by helicopter.

Shaun LJW

average 1 year, 11 months ago

Way too close to home... I know a lot of the other cycling people who cross Iowa there (friendly hello while waiting for the light to cross). Best wishes to all involved.

Not casting any guesses right now, but I will say that, as a regular rider on Harvard across Iowa, I personally see probably 6-8 cars a year blow the red on Iowa. And I don't mean just a 'frustrated, speed through yellow, but a flat-out 'didn't see the light there at all' blowby. Only place I've ever seen it that reliably, and I'm not sure what about that intersection would cause it.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

If I were running the show, I'd have a couple speed bumps placed on each side of the intersection on Iowa Street, and no one would ever overlook that red light a second time.

There have been far too many accidents on Iowa Street in the last few years, many were fatal, and I'm sick of it. It's not Iowa Highway, it's Iowa Street.

Part of the reason for my attitude is that a friend of mine had a serious problem with car crashes in his front yard, or from cars losing control in the street in front of his house and then crashing in the neighbor's yard. At least one was fatal.

The most recent driver of a car that crashed in his yard was cited for 1) DUI, 2) Leaving the scene of an accident, and 3) When asked for an explanation of exactly how she had left the road and crashed into a light pole, she offered this explanation; "I was texting and I didn't know the road curved."

After that, the city installed speed bumps. There hasn't been a single accident there since and it's been two or three years since there's been an accident there, compared with about one per year before that was done.

gccs14r 1 year, 11 months ago

If I had my way, I'd put automatic bollards in place at every controlled intersection. There would be no more running of red lights, even with icy roads.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh, and weave back and forth between them to reach the intersection? Considering how much people have complained about round-a-bouts, I think that one would be a hard sell.

But, you're right, they would be very effective on icy roads. I do have to wonder how in the world the snow plows could get through, though.

And it would do wonders for the economy - at least for the automotive body shops.

gccs14r 1 year, 11 months ago

No, I mean perpendicular to the line of travel, emerging from the stop line. A bicycle could get through, and maybe a skinny motorcycle, but everything else would come to a dead stop.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, on second thought, maybe rumble strips would be a better idea, like they have in western Kansas where there are no curves or stop signs for over ten miles, followed by a sudden stop sign that is not terribly visible.

Jean Robart 1 year, 11 months ago

you surely can't be serious about putting speed bumps in a street? btw in Jamaica they are called sleeping policemen)

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

I meant very gentle ones, just enough to remind you that you might have overlooked something.

onthebreeze 1 year, 11 months ago

It may be because the light is SO short for the Harvard way and, seems like, it almost never changes. I have noticed myself almost missing it. I just get so used to not stopping there.

Wally 1 year, 11 months ago

The victim is the one who suffered the injury, regardless of who was at fault. One can be a victim of circumstance or a victim of their own devices. We all understand that the driver of the truck probably did not intentionally hit the cyclist and probably feels terrible, but to call them "the victim" seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

RaynRavyn 1 year, 11 months ago

Wally, have you ever hit someone with a truck? I haven't either, but my step father has. A woman jumped out in front of his truck going down the highway. Obviously her decision to end her life, and she was the one injured, but HE was the victim. HE is the one who has to spend the rest of his life knowing his truck took her life. YES, the driver can be, and is, a victim...

JeepTJ 1 year, 11 months ago

I would say prayers are in order for all involved.

BlueWaffle 1 year, 11 months ago

On the story, I hope both parties make a full recovery. Because this is something that is going to haunt everyone involved till their days are gone. Who knows this could of been a parent and small child in the truck and here a child has absolutely no clue on what went on but they know a person is hurt severely and mom or dad hurt them. The cyclist could be your neighbor, child, brother, sister, mom, dad or best friend and you have zero clue they are in a hospital clinging to life and later you realize who the cyclist was. Trust me from experience sights such as these are something that will change your life forever. I may sit here and joke and act an a** on this site but NOBODY that's commented probally has any hint of what truly went on including myself. My own faith or lack thereof has nothing to do with my comment but my humanity does.

webmocker 1 year, 11 months ago

"Lawrence police Sgt. Trent McKinley said that the truck, a commercial vehicle, ran a red light at the intersection while the cyclist, a 22-year-old Kansas University student, was crossing Iowa Street."

Why do so many choose to run red lights when the potential cost is so high?

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

I was in a minor non injury accident once with another driver who ran a red light for the simple reasons that he did not see the red light, and he was not aware that there was one there, since he was from out of town and not not familiar with the street.

At the time, the traffic light was not particularly visible and it has changed a lot since then, so it would be pointless to pinpoint the exact location that the accident occurred at.

He felt terrible about it, but the only damage was a dented fender on my car.

I had heard one thing though, and it certainly was proved to be true that day - when you have an accident, it is always going to be with the nicest person you could imagine.

BringBackMark 1 year, 11 months ago

Red lights are run all the time in this town. A large problem is the outrageously long cycle times on many of the lights. Nobody wants to sit for 90 seconds or more to wait for the light to change so they simply run it. Whoever is responsible for signal timing needs to go back and take traffic engineering 101 and they'd have a better understanding of how to time traffic signals.

eotw33 1 year, 11 months ago

We need red light camera's. If you dont like, don't run em.. I've been in way too many and see way too many close calls to not support them

Cai 1 year, 11 months ago

We definitely need something, but traditional red light cameras aren't it.

Married couple drives the same car, car runs a light. Which one did it? Or was it the son? Or someone who borrowed the car for a brief errand? It's a logistical nightmare.

Like other posters, if the driver did run a red light, I'd guess it was due to distraction. Cell phone, road side 'cool stuff', radio/heat fiddle, etc. People don't usually willfully blow through red lights because they felt like it.

webmocker 1 year, 11 months ago

"People don't usually willfully blow through red lights because they felt like it."

Then why do so many I see running them speed up before they go through?

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, there is a simple answer. The registered owner of the car is responsible for it. If you don't believe that, go ask your insurance agent.

bad_dog 1 year, 11 months ago

Go tell that argument to Hertz. They recently lost litigation over that very issue, so they get to go figure out who was driving (or who was authorized to drive) a given rental car used in some town far from their corporate headquarters. They then have to coerce the driver into assuming legal responsibility for the ticket.

There have also been several reported cases where system administrators lacked the proper authority to issue the tickets, tickets weren't delivered to alleged violators on a timely basis resulting in lost rights or higher fines, downward manipulation of the delay times afforded by the yellow lights, etc. etc. There are also studies showing higher numbers of rear-end accidents occurring at these intersections.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

Lawrence police Sgt. Trent McKinley said that the truck, a commercial vehicle, ran a red light at the intersection while the cyclist, a 22-year-old Kansas University student, was crossing Iowa Street. A LifeStar helicopter landed in nearby Centennial Park to transport the cyclist to a Kansas City-area hospital. The man suffered life-threatening injuries.

---tonight a 22-year-old young man lies maimed and could die in a hospital. being a KU student, his family may not be here in our community. perhaps he's not even from the US and his loved ones are thousands of miles away.

if this formerly strong young man lives he will be changed for life.

he faces a long recovery and his life has been changed in an instant.

of course I pray for him.
[in answer to Areunorml,because I once was an atheist, because I know we live in a sin cursed earth and bad stuff happens on this side right now. the Bible is true.]

I also have experienced bad stuff of this scale, though sometimes a little less sudden. it ain't easy to go through.

I hope he lives and I hope for good doctors. I also hope for good pain control for him. and for a full recovery, though I know he may be physically changed for life.

I hope he has, or will soon have loving people around him, with warm hands, kindness and care.

kernal 1 year, 11 months ago

Something does need to be done about people blowing through that light. Usually it's drivers on Iowa, rather than on Harvard. I've seen more people speed up to get through that light than any other intersection in town. I don't know if the speed limit needs to be lowered from 40mph to 30mph at the 15th and Iowa intersection or what, but once people start to speed on Iowa, they don't slow down until they get closer to Ninth St. unless it's rush hour or game day.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

I wouldn't recommend doing this, but I guarantee it would work: First a biking club could collect all of the old, broken down bicycles they could find. Then, wait at the intersection, and then two seconds after the light turns green for them, shove all of the old bicycles into the paths of the speeding cars that are running the red light.

There were a few times I was walking my bicycle across the street instead of riding it, for safety's sake, and a speeding car was heading at me, intending to drive behind me, and miss me by only a few inches, while counting on me to keep moving. More than once I almost dropped my bicycle and ran. That would have been very interesting to explain to the police!

midwestmom 1 year, 11 months ago

Do you remember if its a school crossing zone, too??? I know that there is one right in that area and it always amazed me to see people trying 'to beat the red' with the crossing guard standing right there trying to safely help young children across such a busy road....

webmocker 1 year, 11 months ago

Midwestmom asks:

"Do you remember if its a school crossing zone, too???"

Yes, at least for the past 45 years.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

Why not crack down on red light runners instead of those not wearing their seatbelts? Seems like a better use of resources to me.

Robin Smith 1 year, 11 months ago

I work one block from this intersection and I sit at the light on Harvard multiple times each day. I have seen within the last year (at least) dozens--many dozens--of people run the red light on Iowa, both unintentionally and intentionally. I wait until everyone has made a full stop before I go. Additionally the timing of the lights do leave a lot to be desired. Overall this intersection needs to be fixed somehow. This is a school zone and also a frequent path for cyclists seeking a safe route. What probably needs to happen is there needs to be a bridge or a tunnel for people to be able to cross Iowa safely, perhaps at Yale and Iowa. The light at Harvard is still needed, but it's not enough. Some turn lanes for University, Oxford, and Stafford are also needed.

nasa_hawk 1 year, 11 months ago

July 27, 2011: I just turned in my final draft of my thesis ready to head home and begin enjoying the post grad life when I was hit by a car at the same intersection. I had the green light with a pedestrian walking light and the fellow just blew the red light and nailed me at 45. Fortunately for me, he only got my front tire, which was still enough to tear my left quad and knee to shreds - and that was an Infiniti coupe.

Considering how many college students live on the other side of Iowa - plus the school just down Harvard - it is amazing that more people aren't hurt at this or any other intersection along Iowa. The only bridge is south of Bob Billings, which itself is terribly unsafe to cross, not to mention down the Iowa Hill. I agree that there needs to be a bridge or a tunnel somewhere near the peak of that hill, and perhaps adding a light and turn lanes at least one of University, Oxford and Stafford if for no other reason than to slow folks down before they reach the top of the hill.

repaste 1 year, 11 months ago

The word is he has every chance at full recovery - good news.