Archive for Tuesday, January 22, 2013

KU student critically injured in accident at Iowa Street and Harvard Road

January 22, 2013, 1:31 p.m. Updated January 22, 2013, 4:38 p.m.

Tuesday bicyclist accident

Shortly before 1 p.m. Tuesday, a truck heading north on Iowa Street collided with a bicycle near the Harvard Road intersection, sending the cyclist to the hospital with critical injuries. Enlarge video

A truck northbound on Iowa Street collided with a cyclist at the intersection of Harvard Road around 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, critically injuring the cyclist.

McKinley said the truck driver was not injured. No citations had been issued Tuesday afternoon.

A LifeStar helicopter landed at Centennial Park and picked up a critically injured patient who was involved in an accident shortly before 1 p.m. Tuesday at Iowa Street and Harvard Road.

A cyclist was transported by helicopter with critical injuries in an accident with a car about 12:50 p.m. Tuesday at Iowa Street and Harvard Road. One lane of northbound traffic was stopped near the accident at about 1 p.m.

Police are not releasing the accident victim's name until his family is notified.

Google Map

Tuesday accident

View Tuesday morning truck/bicycle accident in a larger map

Scenes from a Tuesday truck and bicycle accident in Lawrence.

Comments

Robin Smith 1 year, 2 months ago

I work one block from this intersection and I sit at the light on Harvard multiple times each day. I have seen within the last year (at least) dozens--many dozens--of people run the red light on Iowa, both unintentionally and intentionally. I wait until everyone has made a full stop before I go. Additionally the timing of the lights do leave a lot to be desired. Overall this intersection needs to be fixed somehow. This is a school zone and also a frequent path for cyclists seeking a safe route. What probably needs to happen is there needs to be a bridge or a tunnel for people to be able to cross Iowa safely, perhaps at Yale and Iowa. The light at Harvard is still needed, but it's not enough. Some turn lanes for University, Oxford, and Stafford are also needed.

thuja 1 year, 2 months ago

This is what I'm talking about jafs.

Bikes are not the problem.

Brock Masters 1 year, 2 months ago

Why not crack down on red light runners instead of those not wearing their seatbelts? Seems like a better use of resources to me.

kernal 1 year, 2 months ago

Something does need to be done about people blowing through that light. Usually it's drivers on Iowa, rather than on Harvard. I've seen more people speed up to get through that light than any other intersection in town. I don't know if the speed limit needs to be lowered from 40mph to 30mph at the 15th and Iowa intersection or what, but once people start to speed on Iowa, they don't slow down until they get closer to Ninth St. unless it's rush hour or game day.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

Lawrence police Sgt. Trent McKinley said that the truck, a commercial vehicle, ran a red light at the intersection while the cyclist, a 22-year-old Kansas University student, was crossing Iowa Street. A LifeStar helicopter landed in nearby Centennial Park to transport the cyclist to a Kansas City-area hospital. The man suffered life-threatening injuries.

---tonight a 22-year-old young man lies maimed and could die in a hospital. being a KU student, his family may not be here in our community. perhaps he's not even from the US and his loved ones are thousands of miles away.

if this formerly strong young man lives he will be changed for life.

he faces a long recovery and his life has been changed in an instant.

of course I pray for him.
[in answer to Areunorml,because I once was an atheist, because I know we live in a sin cursed earth and bad stuff happens on this side right now. the Bible is true.]

I also have experienced bad stuff of this scale, though sometimes a little less sudden. it ain't easy to go through.

I hope he lives and I hope for good doctors. I also hope for good pain control for him. and for a full recovery, though I know he may be physically changed for life.

I hope he has, or will soon have loving people around him, with warm hands, kindness and care.

eotw33 1 year, 2 months ago

We need red light camera's. If you dont like, don't run em.. I've been in way too many and see way too many close calls to not support them

mikekt 1 year, 2 months ago

In any event, it is safe to say that one should be thoughtful and fully present when driving,......and also aware when on foot or on a bicycle, around moving traffic, people, etc.,..... that might not do the .......reasonably expected things,.......that one expects them to do .

Driving by the site, I saw the mangled bicycle at the curb, as the accident investigation team took their measurements , .....and watched in my rear view mirror, as the car behind me got a little too close to my rear bumper, as it's driver was fixated by the sight of the mangled bicycle at the curb. That driver corrected their attention,.... before I needed to honk.......but....it again made me aware of the need to be present and alert .

We all need to practice keeping our eyes moving around us to avoid hitting or being hit in traffic situations .

Stuff can happen that don't need to happen when people are distracted or when they assume that another person will follow thru with what appears to be logical behaviors on the part of another person.

webmocker 1 year, 2 months ago

"Lawrence police Sgt. Trent McKinley said that the truck, a commercial vehicle, ran a red light at the intersection while the cyclist, a 22-year-old Kansas University student, was crossing Iowa Street."

Why do so many choose to run red lights when the potential cost is so high?

BlueWaffle 1 year, 2 months ago

On the story, I hope both parties make a full recovery. Because this is something that is going to haunt everyone involved till their days are gone. Who knows this could of been a parent and small child in the truck and here a child has absolutely no clue on what went on but they know a person is hurt severely and mom or dad hurt them. The cyclist could be your neighbor, child, brother, sister, mom, dad or best friend and you have zero clue they are in a hospital clinging to life and later you realize who the cyclist was. Trust me from experience sights such as these are something that will change your life forever. I may sit here and joke and act an a** on this site but NOBODY that's commented probally has any hint of what truly went on including myself. My own faith or lack thereof has nothing to do with my comment but my humanity does.

JeepTJ 1 year, 2 months ago

I would say prayers are in order for all involved.

Wally 1 year, 2 months ago

The victim is the one who suffered the injury, regardless of who was at fault. One can be a victim of circumstance or a victim of their own devices. We all understand that the driver of the truck probably did not intentionally hit the cyclist and probably feels terrible, but to call them "the victim" seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

average 1 year, 2 months ago

Way too close to home... I know a lot of the other cycling people who cross Iowa there (friendly hello while waiting for the light to cross). Best wishes to all involved.

Not casting any guesses right now, but I will say that, as a regular rider on Harvard across Iowa, I personally see probably 6-8 cars a year blow the red on Iowa. And I don't mean just a 'frustrated, speed through yellow, but a flat-out 'didn't see the light there at all' blowby. Only place I've ever seen it that reliably, and I'm not sure what about that intersection would cause it.

Gandalf 1 year, 2 months ago

I certainly hope the injured will recover. But there are not enough facts to determine who the victim is yet. The cyclist or the truck driver?

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 2 months ago

I too will be praying for this young man, not trying to change His Mind, but to show caring. My God is very real to me, and I think some respect should be shown to those who find solace in prayer and belief, no matter what that faith may be.

I respect your right to be atheist and I do not have to understand your reasons for choosing this path. All I am asking for is respect for all.

Catalano 1 year, 2 months ago

Time to turn the commenting off.