Archive for Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lawrence police patrolling for seat belt violations Tuesday

January 20, 2013

Reader poll
How often do you wear a seat belt?

or See the results without voting

Lawrence police will patrol for seat belt law violations Tuesday night, according to Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman.

Kansas law mandates a minimum of a $60 ticket for drivers and passengers ages 14 to 17 who are cited for not wearing a seat belt. The ticket is $10 for those 18 and older.

Police can stop a car for the sole reason of a seat belt violation in the front seats of the vehicle, according to state law. If the back seat passengers are the only ones in violation, police can only cite them if they have also been cited for another violation.

Sixty-three percent of Kansas fatality accident victims in 2012 were not wearing seat belts, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation. On average, 88 percent of Kansas motorists did wear them.

The effort to conduct special nighttime seat belt enforcement is part of the Nighttime Seat belt Enforcement Program, paid for through a grant funded by KDOT.

Comments

troll 1 year, 2 months ago

If the passenger is not wearing a seat belt, does the citation go to that passenger, or the driver?

Kyle Chandler 1 year, 2 months ago

Lets just call it what it is.....Rookie Training Day

whats_going_on 1 year, 2 months ago

Is it still $50 fine for texting while driving? If so, this makes absolutely no sense.

eeko 1 year, 2 months ago

Another example of LPD majoring on the minors.

Hoots 1 year, 2 months ago

The only place I've seen them do this is downtown during heavy drinking hours on either Vermont or New Hampshire. This is more a tool to look for DUI's and other infractions. It gives them an excuse to make contact with you and then start sniffing for booze, drugs, no insurance, or to watch you roll up texting, etc. They usually have several cops on foot stationed around a 4 way stop.

blue73harley 1 year, 2 months ago

I do not favor having a law that tells adults to wear a seat belt. In fact, I used to NOT wear a seat belt because of it. That being said, once I started commuting about 10 years ago, I figured wearing it was a pretty darn good idea. Now it is just a habit. Plus my car dings, too.

JackMcKee 1 year, 2 months ago

No problem here. My vehicle dings incessantly if you don't buckle your seat belt.

Gandalf 1 year, 2 months ago

Police are being used as tax collectors again I see.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 2 months ago

They should post an officer by the bridge and get those people turning north from the left lane and winding up in the right lane. They could pay of the national debt.

maisy 1 year, 2 months ago

The big push is from KDOT. The more tickets written, the more funds a participating department can get from KDOT for a job well done.

cheeseburger 1 year, 2 months ago

Seat belt enforcement is fine, but I'd like to see some stats on pokey left-laners being ticketed. I'd bet that is not as vigorously pursued as it should be.

Number_1_Grandma 1 year, 2 months ago

I certainly agree with Big B and msezdsit reasons for frustration. I see illegal lane changes and following to close all the time in front of officers that cause more wrecks and road rage than seat belts violations will ever do. I certainly agree with officers stopping a car with kids who aren't seat belted in. But adults, no.

Randall Barnes 1 year, 2 months ago

give me a ticket because i choose not to have my internal organs crushed by a seat belt.

msezdsit 1 year, 2 months ago

How about giving the police a reason to stop you so they can harass you. If you fit their profile all they have to do is say you didn't have your seat belt on. Who would know whether you did or not, but you may get a trip to the jail while the details are sorted out later.

hitme 1 year, 2 months ago

In other cities, I've seen Police depts. use a (pedestrian) person as a spotter, in an elevated position and have several catchers down the road. It kept them busy.

LJ Whirled 1 year, 2 months ago

Good Grief!

How 'bout we patrol for things that CAUSE accidents ... like failing to signal, following too closely, driving like a bat ....

Seat belts are fine for reducing the harm AFTER the wreck ... I'd rather see us work on PREVENTING the wreck altogether.