Archive for Friday, January 18, 2013

Douglas County GOP to host discussion about health care coverage

January 18, 2013

The Douglas County Republican Party is hosting a discussion of health care coverage in Kansas.

The event — called “A Checkup on the Condition of Health Care Coverage in Kansas” — will begin at 6 p.m. Monday at Famous Dave’s, 4931 W. Sixth.

The discussion will feature Beverly Gossage, president and founder of HSA Benefits Consulting, and state Sen. Mary Pilcher-Cook, R-Shawnee.

The cost is $20. To register, visit dgcoksgop.com.

Comments

Janella Williams 2 years, 5 months ago

Save your time and money, here's a summary of GOP ideas... don't get sick and/or be rich.

Currahee 2 years, 5 months ago

No the GOP platform is to maintain self sufficiency so that you won't need to turn to the government for help. A misconception radical progressives like you adopt is that GOP wants the rich to be richer while the poor remain poor. The fact is, everyone in congress is a millionaire (the richest being a democrat) and there are lots of politicians on both sides who have had rags to riches stories to tell. And before you scream "NEOCON" like the presumptuous being you are, I am a true liberal- I don't care what anyone does and I respect people's opinions so long as they don't spread misinformation like you. We need to meet in the middle, something that both GOP and DNC people agree on but usually these are the extremists. The compromisers are already talking without calling for compromise. So please sit down and speak when you're ready to not spread misinformation, confusion, and fear into people. It's not just the extreme conservatives doing it, but also the extreme progressives like you.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 5 months ago

Before Obamacare, the US spent the most per capita, by far, on healthcare of all wealthy countries but were also the most unhealthy among all those countries on about any measure you care to use.

After Obamacare, the US will spend the most per capita, by far, on healthcare of all wealthy countries but will also be the most unhealthy among all those countries on about any measure you care to use.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 5 months ago

Republicans won't settle for appeasement. Only complete capitulation will satisfy them.

Dan Eyler 2 years, 5 months ago

I plan to attend this event on Monday. The better informed I am the better decisions I can make for myself. I'm just glad there is an organization willing to bring this discussion closer to those being effected by the new law.

chootspa 2 years, 5 months ago

Come for the generic chain store barbecue instead of supporting a locally run small business, stay for the generic talking points where they tell us how the radical privatization into Kancare will be awesome, just you wait. And give them $20. Because "discussions" are not free.

FlintHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't understand why there's a cover charge to attend. Do the organizers want to exclude those who can't afford $20 to listen to them? Is there some reason they don't want broad participation? Sorry, but I just don't get it. Just a Dumb Blue Blonde, I guess.

Dan Eyler 2 years, 5 months ago

Because you're getting a good dinner. The business is providing space for the event. The cooks and servers are getting paid and receive tips from those in attendance. The speakers deserve to be paid for their time. They want to attract people who are interested in a high level discussion. If you're not interested or have a problem with the format don't go. The cost to attend seems more than reasonable.

chootspa 2 years, 5 months ago

They could have had it in a public forum and sought out donations to cover speaker fees if it were really important to make sure the message were heard. I heard a rumor that the GOP is well funded in this state. There's not much in the way of "high level discussion" at an event that involves hearing only opinions that confirm your own biases. And I suspect that's more what this "good" dinner at a chain restaurant is about than anything else.

AsherwhitE 2 years, 5 months ago

Nobody becomes "better informed" by attending any GOP function. They will charge you $20. just to tell you what they want you to believe and will never ask you for your opinion or belief unless they already know (1) who you are and (2) what you believe. It is $20 for a "spin job"!

Dan Eyler 2 years, 5 months ago

Glad you won't be there. Such open minds already have it all figured out. I'm sure your friends are waiting for you at Liberty Hall.

chootspa 2 years, 5 months ago

I've actually attended several non-partisan meetings on the changes to the health care laws in Kansas. You know, the sort of thing that open-minded people attend when they want to get informed about something. I haven't attended a partisan rally on the subject - either party- because I'm not interested in a cheerleading session. Have fun at yours.