Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Electrical fire destroys home near Lecompton

January 15, 2013

Advertisement

The fire that destroyed a home three miles west of Lecompton this morning was caused by a faulty electrical cord, according to a state fire marshal's report.

About 35 firefighters from Lecompton and other townships responded to the fire about 6:50 a.m. Tuesday but failed to save the converted stone schoolhouse near the intersection of East 300 Road and North 2100 Road. The house was "a total loss," said Lecompton Fire Chief Will Shockley. The damage was likely to be at least $200,000, he said.

At least one person was at home when the fire began, Shockley said. No injuries were reported. The fire was under control by 10 a.m., and firefighters cleared the scene at 1 p.m.

Comments

Brian Hall 1 year, 11 months ago

The house is located along North 2100 Road and is actually closer to East 350 Road.

For those who are interested, the house used to be the Glenn School (Dist. 33).

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 11 months ago

Right, North 2100 Road. I've corrected that, thanks.

StonyLonesomeFarms 1 year, 11 months ago

Just a FYI. H, Wayne Riley retired from as Chief of Lecompton Fire / EMS January 1. The new Chief is Will Shockley

mcallaigh 1 year, 11 months ago

35 firefighters!!! WOW!!!

Volunteers???

Glad nobody was hurt, but terrible loss if it was a historical structure...

somebodynew 1 year, 11 months ago

mcallaigh - a bit of clairification: it was a "terrible loss" because it was someone's HOME. A little extra sad if it was historical, but somebody is now out everything.

otto 1 year, 11 months ago

mcallaigh6 hours, 29 minutes ago

35 firefighters!!! WOW!!!

Volunteers???

And your point is?

Many volunteers as you point out are highly trained and do a great job with limited resources like low funding, lack of available water without hauling it in etc... Many volunteers are nationally certified in firefighting while some of the younger ones are learning the trade and want to become full time firefighters. You would learn alot from getting to know how the volunteer system works.

Claire Williams 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't know that they were being sarcastic. I think they were really saying "Wow, that is a lot of firefighters, it must have been a bad fire."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.