The fire that destroyed a home three miles west of Lecompton this morning was caused by a faulty electrical cord, according to a state fire marshal's report.
About 35 firefighters from Lecompton and other townships responded to the fire about 6:50 a.m. Tuesday but failed to save the converted stone schoolhouse near the intersection of East 300 Road and North 2100 Road. The house was "a total loss," said Lecompton Fire Chief Will Shockley. The damage was likely to be at least $200,000, he said.
At least one person was at home when the fire began, Shockley said. No injuries were reported. The fire was under control by 10 a.m., and firefighters cleared the scene at 1 p.m.