Topeka When a federal panel in June redrew legislative district boundaries, John Wilson found political life.
His residence had been in House Democratic Leader Paul Davis' district, but the new map put him in the 10th House District, which became more Democratic friendly by being contained in Douglas County.
Wilson filed to run, and won in November to become the newest member of the Douglas County legislative delegation. He will be sworn into office Monday in a huge freshmen class as the 2013 session starts.
"There's a lot for me to learn just about the personalities and how the leadership does business," Wilson said. "I'm very much looking forward to doing what I can to create policies and address issues that improve people's lives," he said.
Politically, Wilson comes into the Legislature surrounded. Republicans hold a 92-33 margin in the House and 32-8 in the Senate.
Wilson already has been assigned as the top Democratic member of the House Children and Seniors Committee.
Wilson said he disagrees with many of the policies of Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican. But Wilson said he will work hard to find common ground in the Legislature.
Here are the legislators whose districts are in Douglas County or contain a large part of Douglas County, and their contact information.
• Sen. Marci Francisco, D-Lawrence, 785-296-7364; Marci.Francisco@senate.ks.gov
• Sen. Anthony Hensley, D-Topeka, 785-296-3245; Anthony.Hensley@senate.ks.gov
• Sen. Tom Holland, D-Baldwin City, 785-296-7372; Tom.Holland@senate.ks.gov
• Rep. Barbara Ballard, D-Lawrence, 785-296-7697; email@example.com
• Rep. Paul Davis, D-Lawrence, 785-296-7630; firstname.lastname@example.org
• Rep. Tom Sloan, R-Lawrence, 785-296-7654; email@example.com
• Rep. John Wilson, D-Lawrence, 785-296-7652; firstname.lastname@example.org