Archive for Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lawhorn’s Lawrence: A tale of an abandoned baby, a dime and a Lawrence laundromat

January 13, 2013

On Christmas Eve, Amy Marshall got her pre-adoption birth certificate in the mail. She was a bit surprised to see where it listed her place of birth: a laundromat at 19th and Barker in Lawrence. Baby Amy, as she was dubbed by nurses at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, was front-page news in the Journal-World following her abandonment in November 1964. Her parents were never found.

Amy Marshall was born in this building at 19th and Barker. It’s now the Bungalow Laundromat but was called the Grover Bungalo Launderette in 1964.

Amy Marshall, photographed in November in Ireland, was born and abandoned in a Lawrence laundromat in 1964. She now lives in Craig, Alaska, and works as a librarian.

A dime’s worth of love goes a long way.

Not that Amy Marshall has ever known of any shortage of love in her life. She’s the adopted daughter of Ken and Winnie Knowles, and love has surrounded her since she entered their home as an infant who was just a few days old.

Amy always knew she was adopted, but she never knew anything of her biological mother. On Christmas Eve, a letter arrived in the mail that was supposed to change that. It didn’t, at least not with a name.

It was her pre-adoption birth certificate, and her mother and father’s names simply were listed as “unknown.” But there was a place on the document that caught Amy’s eye.

Her place of birth was listed as: a "laundry mat," known back then as the Grover Bungalo Launderette at 19th and Barker in Lawrence.

It did not take Amy long to put two and two together. She had long sensed she had been abandoned. But now, at least, she knew where.

So on Christmas Eve she called the laundromat, which is still in operation but under different ownership, and left a message on its answering machine.

“I prefaced it by telling them this will probably be one of the oddest messages they’ve received in awhile,” Amy says.

Then, she e-mailed me. She was looking for a newspaper article from November 1964. I sent her a couple.

There she was on the front page of the Journal-World on Nov. 17, 1964. A big picture of a nurse — a Mrs. Gary Edwinson is how we identified the nurse back then — was holding an infant who earlier that day had been found at the laundromat. The baby was being referred to as “Madame X.”

By the next day, the newspaper reported the nurses at Lawrence Memorial quickly had tossed aside that name, and started calling her Amy.

“The baby is in excellent health, and she is a little dandy,” then-Lawrence Police Detective Dick Stanwix announced to the city. Stanwix, who died five years ago, later would become the police chief.

The articles, though, had lots of other details. A baby, likely no more than three hours old, was found laying unwrapped on a blanket on the bathroom floor of the Bungalo Launderette. Amniotic fluid was still fresh on the baby when A.T. and Jean House came to the laundromat at 6 a.m. to give the place its daily cleaning.

“I had terribly mixed emotions — I was concerned, wanted to cry,” Mrs. House told the Journal-World at the time. “But when I felt the baby, I knew I had to get her warm fast. She was awfully cold.”

It was 42 degrees outside that night, the paper reported.

“I’ve been thinking about her quite a bit these last couple of days,” Amy says of the woman who gave her a bit of needed warmth.

But there was one other detail in the articles: A dime. Police found that a dime had been placed on top of the laundromat’s pay phone. They surmised that it was left there so that whoever found the baby could call for help.

“When I read that, that’s when I lost it,” Amy says. “That is when I started bawling. It was devastating — in a good way.”

A baby, a dime and a mystery: That was the last Lawrence ever heard of Baby Amy. The parents were never found, and Amy’s case became another sealed adoption file.

And a lingering question, to some. Dr. Phillip Godwin was the physician on call at the emergency room that day. Godwin told me he remembers the case well. It was the only abandoned baby case he ever worked. He listened intently as I told him of what became of Baby Amy’s life.

“Just a couple of months ago, I was thinking of her,” Godwin said. “I wondered what ever became of that baby. This is good because that has sort of hung over me for a while.”

Brad House laughed when he heard that. Brad, at the time, was the 13-year old son of A.T. and Jean House. Just weeks ago, his younger sister was back for the holidays, and they asked the same question of each other.

“My mother would be jumping up and down with joy right now,” Brad said.

She should. Life has been good for Baby Amy. She lives in Craig, Alaska, where she works as the head librarian in the small town on Prince of Wales Island. Her adopted family took her from Lawrence to their home in Derby. She lived there until she was 7, when her father’s job caused the family to transfer to New York state. She grew up there, ended up getting two degrees — maritime history and nautical archeology — and has traveled the world as an underwater archeologist.

“It has been fun,” Amy says of everything that has happened since she first got a little warmth.

But still, there was the beginning on a cold bathroom floor.

Sure, even before the Christmas Eve letter, Amy had plenty of scenarios that floated around in her head.

“My absolute best-case scenario was that she had me in a hospital, and kissed me goodbye,” Amy says.

There is no way to know, but Amy suspects her mother was a young college student, who — for whatever reason — wanted to hide her pregnancy.

“My dad probably never knew a thing in the world that I exist,” she says.

But who knows? This is all coming from Baby Amy’s churning mind, a mind that has been turning for a long time.

“Until I became a mom, I didn’t have a clue what she could have been thinking,” Amy says.

Yes, Amy and her husband have two children, a 15-year-old son and a 12-year-old daughter.

“Her grandkids rock, by the way,” Amy says.

Maybe that will particularly please somebody who reads this. If Amy is right, her mother probably would be approaching 70 now — approaching an ending stage, surely with the story of a beginning still on her mind.

Would Amy want to meet her?

Not a moment’s hesitation: Yes.

She remembers how she felt when she read about that dime.

“My heart broke,” she says. “It broke on several levels. I’m sorry for that — I was sorry for that girl that it happened to.

“I would love to say thank you to her. That’s the gist of it. She had choices. The mother always has choices, and she made a great choice. I hope it got better for her. I really hope she found peace. I wouldn’t want her to go through life thinking something bad happened, because it didn’t.”

A little love, indeed, goes a long way.

Comments

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks Chad.

---yes, we all need a little warmth.
thanks for this wonderful story. hope that Amy's mom or even dad sees this. her mom did make some right choices indeed.

the power of a dime. the power to reach out to contact. ...

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

I am really surprised - in the newspaper coverage of Baby John Doe, who was found in an apartment stairwell at 2400 Alabama on January 19, 1986, none of the SRS workers could recall any other cases of abandoned infants found in Lawrence.

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

Ron, don't you think this story would be an appropriate place to post your story in case Baby Doe or friends/family stumble upon it? Remember the story and comments will be accessible for quite some time.

Long shot, but ya never know.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

I am now in contact with Baby John Doe, but I don't feel free to publicly discuss anything about his personal life. He has moved on and does not want to be remembered for his abandonment, or dwell upon it.

Thanks for your concern.

But I suppose that our story gives hope to other abandoned infants - meeting your biological parents does happen sometimes. The one thing that is required is the desire for that to happen.

There is one big success in our experience though. More than anything else, I did not want him to grow up knowing that he had been abandoned, that was one of the big reasons I kept my mouth shut at the time. His parents kept the secret also, and he didn't learn of it until he was in his 20s. And then, he began to wonder about his background, and after that, I was very easy to find.

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

Good to hear you finally made contact. Hopefully, you received some answers and can have some closure. good luck.

thefishingwidow 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't think anyone was more surprised than me, Ron. I KNEW about the 1986 case, and that was why it was such a stunner when the pre-adoption birth certifcate arrived in the mail. The first article Chad sent (the Nov 17, 1964) is pretty cold, clinical reporting. Not only was there MY case, but it mentioned another: "A similar incident occurred a few years ago when an infant was left in a crib on a local resident's doorstep. That baby, too, was in good health, and was adopted later by a family from another city. The real parents were never found."

I know Chad was a bit incredulous at my theory -- the university student, an unwed mother -- and I got a kick out of the "for whatever reason," but I think we have to remember: it was 1964. Pregnant out of wedlock was a shameful thing in 1964. That was when girls were "sent to visit her cousin" should such a thing happen. I'm sure she was scared. And, after you give birth, let's face it, hormones are running amok and you're not thinking right. I'm sure she didn't have clue on how to swaddle a newborn so it would stay put (my son was a regular Houdini when it came to getting out of blankets). Fingers fumbled for a dime. Whether it was her or someone with her who did it--it was an act of compassion. She, or they, didn't just close a door and walk away. Remember, 1964. No cell phones, no smart phones, no 911. That dime told me more than anything in that story. And my older brother, also adopted, had filled in another bit two years ago when he laughed and said, "Oh, c'm on ... you're 46 years old. You never counted back 9 months from your birthday?" "Why would I do that?" I asked. He chucked, "Amy, it's Valentine's Day."

thefishingwidow 1 year, 11 months ago

And one more thing by way of explanation -- the timing of this. I love my parents like crazy. I always thought that poking around about my distant past would be rude and disrespectful to them. Well, until I was home visiting in October when mom, dad, and I had this exchange: Mom: I don't know how you stand it. I would have to know SOMETHING. Me: What? Mom: What? Dad: What are you two going on about? Mom: Her, Kenneth, finding out something about where she came from. Me: You wouldn't MIND? Mom: I don't know how you've stood it. I couldn't have -- Me: Oh, for cryin' out loud .... ♥

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

Here's what still amazes me about the events of January 1986:

The police never even bothered to walk across the street to see if anyone might know anything about the abandoned baby. I knew that if I were to meet the police face to face, I would have to talk. I lived directly across the street, it would not have been a long walk at all.

But, the police never bothered to walk across the street to ask, and they never saw the note taped onto my front door either.

In retrospect, I should have called 911 immediately. I had no idea what I would go through in the coming decades.

One never knows what was on the path not taken, but it may have led off the edge of a cliff.

Sarah St. John 1 year, 11 months ago

Not too surprising, Ron, since SRS in Kansas was not founded until 1973, a good nine years after Amy was born. Even if the SRS workers of 1986 had been working in that field a decade or more earlier, they might not have been working in Lawrence.

amy3602 1 year, 11 months ago

Hope Amy will find the answers she deserves about her abandonment. I hope she will keep searching. There are many search angels now that more states in the U.S. are allowing adults adopted as children to obtain the original birth certificates. Most single mothers during the Baby Scoop Era had no choice except to give up their newborns. That dime was heart breaker. No mother forgets their first born. Many single mothers from this era never received any support to keep their babies. The Girls Who Went Away is a good book by Prof. Ann Fessler, an adoptee herself.

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

Agreed. Hope you stay for a while, Chad. Seems like the LJW loses a lot of good reportrs to bigger cities and better pay.

Starbrite 1 year, 11 months ago

What a wonderful story!

If adoptees [or the public in general] want to find genetic relatives, it is easier now than ever to do that with DNA testing. There are several companies that specialize in DNA testing for recent as well as "deep" ancestry. For example:

One company, FamilyTreeDNA, has what is called "Family Finder" that checks thousands of points in the autosomal DNA and matches them to others who have done the test and are in the database. One can potentially connect to genetic parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and even cousins up to 5 or 6 generations back across all lines. One can choose to be notified when there are matches and then contact those matches to see how they connect and determine who the common ancestor is that they share..

Another company, 23andMe also offers a similar test, "Relative Finder," for autosomal DNA, matching genetic relatives, who have also taken the test, up to 5 or 6 generations, as well as giving ethnic percentages and testing for health risks for many conditions. Again, one can choose to be notified when there are matches with genetic relatives.

These are just a couple of examples of DNA tests that are now available.

Of course male adoptees, can take the Y-DNA test that will trace from father to father to father back thousands of years. Sometimes this can help to determine the surname [during the recent past] of the birth father.

Both females and males can take the MtDNA test (mitochondrial DNA test) that goes from daughter [or son] back many generations on the maternal line though this is not as helpful for determining surnames.

I am no expert on DNA or DNA testing and am not endorsing any company, but I find it exciting that so much can be learned about our ancestry these days with just a simple saliva test.

thefishingwidow 1 year, 11 months ago

I've thought about a DNA test. But, like you said, there has to be someone in the database to connect with -- and that may not be likely in my case. Still, it would be worth a shot, and my son, 15, is very interested in what I'd find. What I wouldn't have found, though, is that Dr. Godwin has thought about me, or that Brad and his sister had TALKED about me. There is something incredibly humbling about realizing that, for 48 years of my life, people I haven't had a clue about have stopped and spared a thought for me at different times. I'm in awe ... and grateful.

And I still wonder ... who was the musician (I play piano), and who was the writer (I'm an author), and who had the interest in particle physics? (don't get me started). My older brother is also adopted, and was adopted under far different circumstances (no abandonment in his case). We were raised by the same parents and are completely different people. If anyone out there wants to do a nature vs. nurture study, look at the two of us.

bornon7 1 year, 11 months ago

Good story, Chad! There really is more to Lawrence than the sports!

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey Chad, keep digging up these good ole news stories, you and Miss Sarah are the top story detectives there at LJW

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

^^The-big-B wrote:

btw ... It is rumored that I was conceived in a laundry mat, and it has been confirmed that I am a little dandy.

---if you sprang from a laundromat, so, does that really mean you're just an upright agitator in hot water blowing bubbles?

Christine Anderson 1 year, 11 months ago

My heart still hurts for Ron. I hope that in his contact with Baby John Doe, there has been a relationship of some meaning formed. So sorry the police did not canvas thoroughly then.

I often wonder if I have additional half-siblings out there, as my father was a very naugty boy in the '60's. Time would be running out to find them. Have thought of placing an ad in the Fort Riley newspaper with my dad's photo from back then, saying, "Attention, older ladies. Did you sleep with this man?"

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 11 months ago

There is more to the story, much more, but I don't feel free to discuss any of it in public. It's very frustrating.

It reminds me of what one adoptee told me about people that are involved in adoptions in general: "Everyone has a story."

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

BTW, Old Hometown Sarah's column's have been missing for a couple days. guess she's on a fact finding tour.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

Misplaced-cheesehead, on Dad being naughty.

once, when I was age 12, I visited Dad at work, and we went to lunch. his job was about 20 miles away from home.

I still have a vivid memory of being introduced to a woman who just happened by, and feeling in my gut that there was some electricity there but at that age I didn't know what to make of it.
this would've been something like 1973.

I still don't know if there was or not. just a few years later my father died a drunken driver vastly overworked (trying to keep two jobs) with a wife who might not have been as supportive as she ought to have been.

I too have wondered was there a relationship? ought I to post his photo/name in that community's paper?

at his funeral, there was a huge turnout and he was quite well missed, he had carried a badge, though he wasn't a lawman in the traditional sense.

thefishingwidow 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah, well, that's stunning. Please don't think Roe v Wade meant that no one was having abortions BEFORE then. I'm pretty sure abortions pre-dated that ruling. "for whatever reason" are not MY words, they are CHAD'S words. I'm pretty clear on what the world was like in 1964 -- and unwed and pregnant was something to be terribly ashamed of at that time. What Chad DIDN'T put in the story was the rest of our conversation. Yeah, EVERY adoptee wants to believe that their parents wanted them desperately but just didn't feel like they could provide the kind of life they wanted for them. When I talked to Chad I also mentioned that I didn't have a clue about the circumstances -- was this an accident? Am I the product of a rape? Incest? I don't know, but I DO know that the woman had the compassion to leave a way out for me, and I ended up with beautifully loving (and patient) parents who never believed I was anything other than a Knowles or a Linn (my mom's family). So, yes, I suppose Roe v Wade could've provided another way out, but I'm sure it would have bummed out my parents ... and husband ... and my kids... (and for the record, Roe v. Wade was 1973. Apparently, the same year the Kansas SRS came into being)

thefishingwidow 1 year, 11 months ago

The nicest thing about this article is that now, no, we don't necessarily have to meet. I just always wanted to say, "Thank you." It's been an awesome life overall. I don't know the circumstances of any of what led up to her decision. I really do hope she (and he) found peace with it. But, if they ever had guilt or dismay or terror that something horrific happened to that kid, no. It didn't. It's good. Thanks for the beautiful life. (But, seriously, who does play piano? LOL!)

David Klamet 1 year, 11 months ago

Very good story.

I would like to formalize what blue73harley said.

Give Chad a raise.

HawksWin 1 year, 11 months ago

Chad, Thanks for the story on celebrating life, what a beautiful story. Life is full of choices, and this mother made the right choice - look what life she gave to her daughter - what a gift. God bless that mother, and all mothers who embrace the gift of love, gift of life. Unfortunately, too many women today embrace self-love. A society that kills unborn is the society that throws away love and motherhood. Since 1973, 50M+ babies have been aborted in the US. Just think these babies would have their grand babies by now, and how that would have shaped our demographics. The baby boom was the largest generation, and it was the engine for our country's economic growth creating the largest middle class consumers in the world. 50M+ aborted babies would have created a second wave of baby boom generation that would have been another economic force to be reckon with in the world, and also likely be paying into social security benefits for decades to come unlike what we see today. A society has choices and with each come with consequences; it starts with each one of us, and with each mother. God bless our mothers, and their love for life.

Jason Johnson 1 year, 11 months ago

Ugh I have to learn not to read stories like this at work. Brought tears to my eyes of the what-ifs, and so glad it turned out well.

WorldCitizen 1 year, 11 months ago

Amy, if you are reading this, I want you to know that I have lived in the Bungalow Laundromat neighborhood for about 35 years and consider it a good, benign place for you to have entered this earth.

thefishingwidow 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank you! I admit, when I got the address, I poked around your neighborhood using Google Streetview. I was STUNNED to see the laundrette. The neighborhood looks like a well-kept, pleasant place.

tejasangel 1 year, 11 months ago

Many biological families are submitting DNA to databases such as 23andme.com ftdna.com and ancestry.com in efforts to reunite with relatives. 23andme.com is nice because the results show health risks as well as connect you with biological relatives. Those results can then be uploaded into ftdna and ancestry. The autosomal or "family finder" test pulls dna from both the mother and the father and will give links to recent relatives. Even if your immediate family doesn't sign up it is possible to discover which family tree you belong in..... as an older adoptee I searched and found decades ago and now help others reunite as a Search Angel. As soon as my dna was uploaded to 23andme.com I was notified I had a second cousin. I didn't recognize her name and upon contact discovered SHE was adopted out of the family. Thru lots of research we believe we have the branch and we will find her original family.

thefishingwidow 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm registered on Adoption.com. I also took the advice of the person who suggested DNA testing at 23andme. That was mostly for my son who is keenly interested in his genetic background (it must be a "15-year-old-thing"). I had hoped Topeka, KC, and Wichita would pick this up on the wires and run it in case she (or he) is still in Kansas somewhere. It could happen. I was at grad school in North Carolina when I met this guy from Shawnee Mission ... and we've been married for 17 1/2 years.... so, Kansas never gets too far away from you when you're from here.

George_Braziller 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes there are more than a few who have to know. My college roommate fathered a child in 1981. The mother's parents had her live out of state during the pregnancy and their daughter was adopted by a family in Florida.

My roommate swore me to secrecy and to this day none of his family including his mother, siblings, ex-wife, or his other daughter knows he fathered another child. Even after 32 years if his mother found out and asked me about the child and the mother's name I'm not sure I could or would reveal it. I made a promise and I don't intend to break it.

'"But somebody does — maybe a couple of somebodies. Amy figures that if her mother was a young college student, there had to at least be a girlfriend who knew. Nobody goes through this completely alone."

MyFatherDanced 1 year, 11 months ago

I find it so devastatingly sad that adoptees still have to go up against this secrecy "wall". The situation that George Braziller describes breaks my heart. For the birthfather to be so paralyzed by this 31 yr old "secret", for his daughter who is being robbed of the choice to meet and/or know her sister (or even know of her), for the grandparents loss of knowing they have a grandchild, etc. Secrecy in adoption is so wrong on so many levels, yet society allows it. The same old myths are promoted and well-meaning people like George feel the need to carry on these secrets. It's so damaging.

George_Braziller 1 year, 11 months ago

It's not my secret to tell and is probably the reason he has cut off contact with me. It's something I know that I'm sure he's never even told his second wife.

MyFatherDanced 1 year, 11 months ago

None2, I get what you are saying because I am an adoptive mother.

"Who was there when you learned to walk and picked you up when you stumbled? Who fed and clothed you? Who wiped way your tears? Who laughed with you? Who tucked you in at night? Who kept your drawings you made way back in grade school? Who was there when you graduated? Who worried when you were late getting home? Who disciplined you when you got rebellious? "

I am very much my kid's mom. However, I am an adult adoptee. Adoptees are quite clear on who their parents are. But the biological tie cannot be denied ..... ever. Under any circumstances. Secret = shame to a child. Secret = bad to an adoptee.

People making the statement that "they are not your REAL parents" are ignorant to adoption and adoption issues. Those words should never be spoken to a child. If they are, those people should probably not be allowed to be alone around the child until they are educated.

I am curious to know if you are an adoptee. Only you know the truth on whether you are or not. The reason I question it is because you started off saying "Sometimes it is better to know less than more". That is completely false. The story is the adoptee's story. Period. It is THEIR truth. Period. It is THEIR truth to know or choose not to know. But that should be THEIR choice. Not a choice made by any other person. Ever.

As for your dear friend whose biological mother died, he looked at his mom's face. What was he supposed to say after she "turned white" and reacted like that? He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. His mom wouldn't have been replaced or betrayed. Why would she? Is it not the truth? Is he not that other woman's biological son? Why couldn't the obit have stated that? 100 years from now when someone is doing genealogy, they will not get a clue to the truth through that obituary. As the fishing widow stated about her mom "never feeling competent"...that is most likely what was showing in a split second on that adoptive mother's face. And it broke her son's heart. That is part of the education process in adoption....or rather the result when there is inadequate education in the process of adoption (either pre, during or post adoption).

The decision should have been your friend's decision. He is the adult and has the right to make the choices at this point in his life.

Education surrounding adoption is a hot spot for me (if you can't tell that by this post). I am also an adoption social worker and this is what I do. I educate, educate, educate.....to end the myths, the "hurt feelings" and get real with adoption.

thefishingwidow 1 year, 11 months ago

But what many don't realize is that the "secret" hangs over your whole life like some Damoclean sword. I mean, do you really live in terror that your adopted daughter or son will someday come to call? Some do. Some adoptive parents don't tell their child he or she is adopted, sometimes with devastating and unintended consequences--that the child feels less loved or less a part of the family. My brother and I always knew and it was no big deal. My mom and I, though, had another nature vs. nurture talk yesterday afternoon and she actually told me that she never felt "competent" as a mom. Really? Seriously? I thought she's done AWESOME. I mean, not that my brother and I were or are angels by any stretch of the imagination, but the woman's going to get a high-five from St. Peter when the time comes. But, nature DOES trump nurture. The genetic component is incredibly dominant. It's why I have to correct something Chad put in the article. I was 4 months old when mom and dad got me. At that time in Kansas, the state would not put newborns up for adoption like that -- not until after 3 months of age, because they did cognitive and mental testing to ensure the infants weren't retarded (their word in 1964). Only after those tests were infants put up for adoption. So, thanks also to the foster family in Lawrence who had me for 4 months or so (after the nurses finally gave me up). If any of the nurses are still alive, I'm sure they'd get a kick out of the fact that my parents kept the name THEY gave me in the hospital.

One other happy (and slightly weird and disturbing) note. Well, it's happy in that I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday to Debbie House -- the daughter of A.T. and Jean House -- the couple in the story who found me at the laundrette. What an absolutely WONDERFUL woman and we hit it off IMMEDIATELY. What was weird and slightly disturbing, though, was when she said there was something she had to SAY to me. And it was this: I was born in the early hours of November 16, 1964 on the floor of that bathroom. On November 16, 1963 -- one year to the DAY earlier -- Wallce E. Grover, Jean's father and the owner of the laundrette, in the early morning hours, arrived at the laundrette, walked to the back, hung up his coat, and died instantly of a massive coronary no more than three feet from where I was found. So. the emotions of the House family that day a year later were already shredded because of the anniversary of Mr. Grover's death. I cannot imagine what was going through their minds when they walked in and found a crying baby ..... (I'm also an author. It's saying something when my truth becomes even more bizarre than my fiction)

MyFatherDanced 1 year, 11 months ago

I hope that finding you that day brought some peace to Mr. Grover's family. He was the angel watching over you that morning. Many times truth IS more bizarre than fiction.