Archive for Friday, January 11, 2013

KU student hospitalized after skiing injury in Colorado

January 11, 2013

A 20-year-old Kansas University student remains in serious condition in a Denver hospital after a Wednesday skiing accident in Winter Park, Colo.

Ellie Cizek, of St. Paul, Minn., was skiing in the Parsenn Bowl area of the Forget-Me-Not trail at Winter Park Resort when she struck a tree about 1:30 p.m. CST Wednesday, according to a Winter Park spokesman. She was transported by helicopter to Denver Health Medical Center after ski patrol responders rushed her to the resort’s medical clinic immediately following the accident. Resort staff reported Cizek was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

Friends and family members did not respond to emails and Facebook messages Friday. A spokeswoman for the hospital in Denver said Cizek is listed in serious condition.

On Wednesday and Thursday, members of Cizek’s Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority chapter took to Twitter to express their hopes for her recovery.

“To one of our precious girls, @ellecizek keeping our thoughts and prayers stronger than ever to get you safe and well,” read one message tweeted by the KU chapter’s account @KUkappa. “We love you El, fight!”

The ski resort, located about 50 miles northwest of Denver in the Rocky Mountains, issued a statement about the accident Friday.

“Winter Park Resort extends its deepest sympathies to the patient as well as her family and friends affected by this tragic accident,” it read in part.

Comments

John Kyle 1 year, 3 months ago

Odd how all the ads on this page are for ski lodges

rantor 1 year, 3 months ago

I had a similar experience, but lucky for me I was wearing protection. My concealed carry weapon absorbed the impact. Additionally, the extra capacity magazine is what really made the difference. Whew! Thanks NRA.

disappointed_regressive 1 year, 3 months ago

I'd say KRichards is about right at less than 1/4 wearing helmets.....I'd put it at more like maybe 1 or 2 out of 10.

Here's my Golden Rule when skiing: Stay away from trees, lift supports etc. ......but still, accidents do happen.

My worst fall to date skiing believe it or not was at Snow Creek. A little inexperienced fat kid about 10-11 years old came barreling into me from my rear @ about my 5:30 sight field right as I started my descent and on the steepest part. We were about 20' from the tree line, but he caught his ski on my right ski and I never saw in coming. He was laying face down in the snow, bawling his brains out. I helped him then scolded him for being so careless, as it was totally his fault.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 3 months ago

Intereting idea Toe. But when was the last time somebody murdered a school yard of children with a ski helmet?

kippcolorado 1 year, 3 months ago

The Mountaineer's perspective: The accident is a shame. However, alpine skiing at Winter Park or any ski area is simply another mountain sport. By participating in mountain sports one assumes numerous risks of serious injury, regardless of whether the activity is on Mt Everest or at a ski area. My experience is that the payment of daily fees, as well as the presence of lift operators, ski patrol, and of course the bar, tend to cause the typical fraternity/sorority skier to not be aware enough of risks to exercise due caution. Mountain sports are especially unforgiving, and inexperience often results in undue exposure to injury and death.

toe 1 year, 3 months ago

We need a national debate on skiing without helmets. These people should register and helmets with extended straps should be banned.

Sherry Warren 1 year, 3 months ago

No offense to this woman, but why is this news?

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 3 months ago

Ah yes LifeStyles still provides ski trips to sororities and fraternities. Since 2005, I know several people who have broken a number of limbs.. while on this trip. I feel deeply sorry for all those affected by this tragic event but it is a sign that maybe skiiers need to complete a safety course before skiing. Such groups are already required to complete and alcohol education program, may as well inform them of safety prodcedures for an activity that may truly impact their lives.

geekin_topekan 1 year, 3 months ago

A young lady aboard my bus was yacking on her cell two days before winter break. She was ecstatic about her upcoming ski trip. On de-boarding, she stepped onto the curb at an odd angle (or something) and her ankle fell perpendicular to her leg.

The lass insisted she was fine, saying she could deal with it alone so I left her sitting on the concrete. The next day she boarded on crutches, the day winter break started. Divine intervention?

That's my skiing experience.

Bob Forer 1 year, 3 months ago

I've never skied. Question for those who do: what percentage of skiers at the resorts wear helmets?

Dan Eyler 1 year, 3 months ago

I learned to ski a few years ago and from personal experience it didn't take long to figure out that skiing in and out of the tree was no place for amatures. I hope she is okay.

kufan1146 1 year, 3 months ago

I am in Colorado as we speak, skiing at Breckenridge, and took a nasty fall from someone who hit me from behind today. I fell straight onto my head at 20+ mph, but I was wearing a helmet. No question it made the difference between a concussion and getting up and skiing down to lunch.

Good luck with the recovery, never good to see these accidents happen. Let it be a lesson to all of us to wear helmets.