Archive for Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Longtime physician and Lawrence attorney both file for seats on Lawrence City Commission

January 8, 2013

What had been a fairly quiet election season for the Lawrence City Commission began to heat up on Tuesday.

Longtime Lawrence physician Terry Riordan and Lawrence attorney Michael Rost both filed their paperwork Tuesday to become candidates in a race to fill three at-large seats in April’s election.

Riordan — who has been in Lawrence since 1983, when he became a partner in Lawrence’s Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine practice — said he had long been looking for the right time to run for local office.

“I have a situation now where my case load isn’t as much and my experience is much more,” Riordan said.

Riordan, 61, has been involved in City Hall work before. He served on the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission from 2003 to 2006 and also served as president of the Oread Neighborhood Association in the early 2000s.

Creating high quality jobs and spurring more growth in the community will be major goals if elected, Riordan said. Riordan said he had seen many small businesses struggle during the recent economic downturn, which he said should cause the city to place an emphasis on keeping taxes steady.

“I think what the city needs to do is promote growth, keep the mill levy where it is at, and really encourage building construction,” Riordan said. “That has the potential to help a lot of small businesses in town.”

Riordan also said he’ll focus on infrastructure issues — he was on the city committee that selected the site for a proposed $65 million sewage treatment plant south of the Wakarusa River — and he’ll work to promote open government.

“When I was on the Planning Commission, I definitely learned a lot about working with people,” Riordan said. “I learned that there are a lot of different views in Lawrence, and you need to hear them and respect them if you really want to understand the issues.”

Rost, a Lawrence resident who works as an attorney for an insurance and financial services company in Topeka, also entered the race on Tuesday.

Rost, 27, said he’ll seek to bring a dose of conservatism to the City Commission when it comes to financial matters, especially incentives for projects. Rost said he followed the issue over whether the city should allow tax dollars to be used to help pay for parking and infrastructure at the recently approved multistory hotel project at the southeast corner of Ninth and New Hampshire streets.

“I will be very, very conservative about what I think the city should do with taxpayer money,” Rost said. “My perspective would be that you would have to have a very compelling project that benefits everyone in the city to give taxpayer money to help a project like that.

“On a project like the hotel, I would say that if it is a good project that makes sense and makes money, it should be able to stand on its own feet.”

Rost grew up in Wichita, but came to Lawrence in 2003 to do his undergraduate work at Kansas University. He moved to Topeka to earn a law degree from Washburn, but soon moved back to Lawrence. He currently works as an attorney for IMA Financial in Topeka.

Rost said he hopes to provide a voice to commuters in the community, and he will emphasize the importance of the commission protecting the livability of Lawrence.

“I think there are maybe some different ideas about the direction of Lawrence, its appeal and what type of community we want to be,” Rost said. “I have seen a lot about trying to make Lawrence some type of tourist destination or Legends West or something. That has struck me as not being in line with the things that I appreciate about the community.”

With the two filings on Tuesday, there are now four candidates in the race.

Rob Chestnut, a former Lawrence mayor and a chief financial officer for a Topeka publishing company, has filed for one of the three seats. Scott Criqui, a member of the city’s Human Relations Commission and an executive with a Lawrence-based home health care company also has filed for the race.

City Commissioner Hugh Carter already has announced he won’t see re-election, but will instead focus on his new job with the Lawrence Chamber of Commerce.

City Commissioner Mike Amyx has not yet filed for re-election, but he has given indications that he will seek another term. Commissioner Aron Cromwell also has a term that is expiring, but he has not yet indicated that he plans to seek re-election.

Candidates have until noon on Jan. 22 to file for the race. If seven or more candidates file, there will be a primary election on Feb. 26 to narrow the field to six candidates. The general election will be on April 2.

Comments

MMorton 1 year, 11 months ago

Great to see Dr. Riordan is running for office! Always like to see small business owners getting involved!

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

Dr. Riordan is sorely mistaken if he believes new building construction will keep the mill levy down. Historically, the mill levy has increased with the rapid expansion in Lawrence over the last 25 years or so. Its a proven fact that new construction does not pay for itself because of the added burden on infrastructure.

flyin_squirrel 1 year, 11 months ago

Mr Rost, what about all the small businesses in our "crown jewel" downtown that need more people shopping and living downtown to survive? The TIF money going to the hotel will indirectly help us small businesses, and get the project off the ground. That lot has sat vacant for 20 yrs, and without help, would still be vacant.

MichaelARost 1 year, 11 months ago

I absolutely support small business, and I personally patronize many downtown businesses. What I disagree with is the use of tax payer money to subsidize private, for-profit projects. Essentailly what your doing is increasing the tax burden on a business on 23rd Street to help bring more customers to a business in another part of town. I don't think this type of tax policy is fair to the taxpayers. And yes, I understand the TIF is not "money out of our pockets" but there are oppertunity costs associated with granting TIF's and you have to also assume the project would not have been done without the TIF's. I appreciate your perspective and if you'd like to discuss this or any other issue in more detail please send me an email at MichaelRost2013@gmail.com

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with this.

Eugehne Normandin 1 year, 11 months ago

without help that lot will stay vacant? and all the visitors will flock to small businesses. how much tif did small business recieve ?

flyin_squirrel 1 year, 11 months ago

How much money does my businesses downtown make when visitors for football, basketball, parents weekends, graduation weekends, etc.. have to stay in KC or Topeka because the only hotels with open rooms are the Airport Motel and Jayhawk Motel?

So yes, I do get money from the TIF.

Please think beyond the money that goes to the project, and think of the impact of the project on the local economy and businesses.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 11 months ago

Promote growth? What does that mean? A doctor should know that cancer is growth. Without specificity its mindless sloganeering of the worst kind. If he means more bedroom community sprawl, and he doesn't know that that won't pay for the infrastructure it takes to support it, then he's just a shill for the banker/developer cabal, and they've had way too strong a grip on the city commission over the last many decades.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 11 months ago

All of these complaints and not one of you running? why is that? You post all day voicing how bad the police are, city commission, mayor, roads, taxes, compton, and any other useless rhetoric you choose to say on here on a daily basis then bash new people for running!!! That is a bit hypocritical!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 11 months ago

So, anyone with an opinion is obligated to run for office? Interesting.

Anthony Mall 1 year, 11 months ago

Some of you post on every topic with all of these plans and ideas... yet never seem to show up for anything, run for anything, or do anything but complain! Who has the energy to do nothing but complain, come with great plans, criticize others actions, and do nothing all day? Hypocrites, that's it. One of those old sayings still rings true kids... "Put up or shut up"

Joghawk11 1 year, 11 months ago

I trust someone like Terry Riordan who has given a lot of time and money to make Lawrence a great place to raise a family. He has experienced many things and will have a keen sense of objectivity to add to the city commission. I believe he will serve Lawrence well

agrabass 1 year, 11 months ago