Archive for Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Lawrence police officer killed in one-vehicle accident at Sixth and Wakarusa

January 2, 2013, 2:56 a.m. Updated January 2, 2013, 5:17 p.m.

Matthew Edward Klock, 29, an officer with the Lawrence Police Department, died in a single-vehicle accident Jan. 2 in Lawrence.

An off-duty Lawrence police officer was killed in a single-vehicle accident early Wednesday morning in Lawrence.

Officer Matthew Edward Klock, 29, was killed when his vehicle hit a traffic signal pole near the intersection of Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive around 2:15 a.m., according to a news release issued by the Kansas Highway Patrol, which is investigating the case.

According to the report, Klock's 2012 Nissan Altima was heading east on Sixth Street when his vehicle went through the intersection at Wakarusa Drive, crossed the center line and struck a light pole in the center median of Sixth Street.

Klock — who was the only person in the vehicle and was dead at the scene — had been a member of the Lawrence department since 2007.

The report did not indicate whether alcohol could have been a factor in the accident. The report says he was not wearing a seat belt.

Comments

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

friendlyjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

No problem. You are one of the few individuals on this board who admits a mistake from time to time. A very worthy attribute.

teller 1 year, 7 months ago

Regardless of the cause . . . a life was lost . . . somone's family member taken. Prayers and thoughts go out to their family and friends.

somebodynew 1 year, 7 months ago

Sychophant - not trying to be argumentative, as I do think yours is probably the case, BUT there is a possibility it was a true medical condition that caused this. We just don't know yet. Having been stupid enough to drive myself to the hospital one time when I really shouldn't have, I know this can happen.

This early I think just thoughts for the family should do. At least until the story is updated (and with my timing on posting, it will probably be right before I hit "post".)

somebodynew 1 year, 7 months ago

Same advice I got - - from several people.

poolside 1 year, 7 months ago

7 am road still blocked. One must travel through Dillons down to Harvard and west to Congressional then north back to 6th.

kernal 1 year, 7 months ago

Could be the driver hit a patch of black ice along the edge of the road. But since I wasn't there, I really don't know diddly squat.

mom_of_three 1 year, 7 months ago

I dont think the grieving would be looking at the message boards. When my step brother died, we certainly didn't. These aren't condolence boards. Just people who are trying to make sense of what happened and sometimes say stupid stuff.

mom_of_three 1 year, 7 months ago

These aren't condolence boards. I dont think the grieving would be checking them. I know we didn't when our family member died. People just comment, trying to figure things out, but sometimes, the stupid stuff makes it out of people's brains when it shouldnt

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Anyone who would directly communicate to the family the content of any message deemed even remotely insensitive is no "friend of the family."

yrbadself 1 year, 7 months ago

I actually recently went to a funeral where the brother of the deceased actually read a number of posts that were written on his dead brother's Facebook account at the funeral. So, it is always possible that friends or family may read these posts. It is usually good t oshow the same respect ot others that we would want shown to us.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

There is a marked difference between messages posted on facebook and messages posted at the tail end of a news story. Anyone can sign up and post an anonymous message on these boards. However, only those people who were previously accepted as "friends" by the decedent when he or she was still alive are permitted to post on facebook. And the vast majority of people on facebook are identified by both their first and last name.

Big difference.

John Kyle 1 year, 7 months ago

But an ahole is still an ahole.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Which is it, Larry? First you opine that those "grieving" might read these alleged "insensitive" remarks. And then, a mere few posts below, you change your rationale and suggest that "friends" of the family will read these posts and relay the objectionable comments to family members.

If you think such behavior from a friend is acceptable, then I would truly hate to be your friend.

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

Lots of reasons could be contributing factors to this tragic loss of life. Sometimes you wonder if some of the people posting on these forums just don't have anything else to do. They are certainly insensitive and uncaring and disrespectful to a person who just lost their life. If you can't make a respectful comment than at least make no comment at all.

Thoughts and prayers to this persons family and friends and may they rest in peace.

kernal 1 year, 7 months ago

Now that could get comments removed from this story. Like the recent story of the Topeka police officers being shot when a commenter posted his "source" said one of the officers had just died minutes before cjonline.com updated it's story, sans info of an officer dying. Imagine how horrible it would be to see that in the paper when a member of your family was on duty.

shaunepec 1 year, 7 months ago

LPD says they'll have an update later today.

Shaun LJW

Clickker 1 year, 7 months ago

I would think Twitter nation or The Facebook would already have the info out there. May the victim RIP

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 7 months ago

Considering the condition of the roads in the last couple nights, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a perfectly sober and careful driver ended up sliding off the road and into a fixed object. Plus tires have been known to blow out at unexpected moments and cause accidents also, but that's not nearly the problem that it used to be.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least, because I did it myself going about 65 mph in January 1974. I had no idea that patch of ice was there, I almost hit another car that was already in the ditch, and I was perfectly sober and watching the road at the time. 'I Am the Morning DJ at WOLD', by Harry Chapin, was playing on the radio at the time.

Within two seconds my car was wrapped around a tree, and the steering wheel hit me on the forehead like a baseball bat. It was truly an accident that I survived. Or a miracle, I'm not sure which. The car had shoulder straps, but I had only my seat belt on, and there were no airbags in those days.

I have often wondered if I suffered a concussion that night, because there are blank spots in my memories of that event, and later I developed a number of problems that an unrecognized and untreated concussion would explain rather well.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 7 months ago

As an aside, if my head had hit the steering wheel in a very slightly different location, my appearance would be very different today, if I had lived. It hit the strongest part of the skull, just above my right eyebrow, and so it left no visible scar.

Lawrence Morgan 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you for this great comment. This is what message boards should be all about. Lawrence

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

The fact that another car was already in a nearby ditch suggests that there was more than a solitary patch of ice. If there was one patch, chances are there were several. 65 mph is way too fast for a highway with scattered patches of ice. Hope yo learned something from your misfortune.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Are you positive there was only one patch of ice? According to your own statement, "there are blank spots in my memories of that event,"

Just sayin'.

Regarding the stupid things I did when I was nineteen? I could fill a book. But my better discretion tells me that no one is really interested in suffering through even one missive about how my person life somehow relates to this or any other LJW story.

I used to make such comments during "Show and Tell." However, I think I have matured a bit since those good old days.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Whoops, looks like Ron removed his last post after I read it but before I posted my response directly above, so it appears I am having a crazy conversation with myself.

Or maybe I am just going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\

:):):)

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 7 months ago

I didn't remove it, the system lost it. It's a glitch in the new program, that's happened to one of my comments before.

mom_of_three 1 year, 7 months ago

no, not knew here. And why would grieving be looking at message boards. Makes no sense to me, because that was the last thing I thought of.

irvan moore 1 year, 7 months ago

regardless of their place of employment or the cause, it's a tragedy when a life is lost in an accident

Tammie Bryant 1 year, 7 months ago

The Journal World needs to automatically disable comments on articles about fatal accidents. End of story, no questions asked.

DRsmith 1 year, 7 months ago

What for? Do you seriously think someone is going to come on here and read comments after losing a loved one? I do agree with the normal removal for violating usage policies but good info can be found in the comments section.

DRsmith 1 year, 7 months ago

So how many hours earlier did we find out this was a cop because of the comments? Fact.

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

odd that my earlier post was removed? any reasons?

kef104 1 year, 7 months ago

I was wondering the same thing. What was the violation? If I remember correctly, all you did was state that you heard the victim was an LPD officer. Ironically, once I saw your post was deleted, I was sure you had correct information.

I am sorry for the local loss and I am sure the LPD is grieving. I have never met the man but I do greatly respect the job he did and others will continue to do. I am sure it was extra difficult for local officers to work this accident.

If he was drinking and if he did not have a seat belt on, they should use it as a public example to prove no one, no matter how they are trained, should take such chances. Let us hope they have enough fortitude to release pertinent information so as to not look like they are covering up or protecting someone.

Many long time locals still harbor ill memories from a few years back when an officer was got off on a dui charge because he had been allowed to go home and have some wine after the accident and before being tested. The worst part of that case was all the officers that attended the hearing and broke out in applause when the verdict was read.

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

Actually, I agree with your post, however, your mistaken that the post made any mention of a police officer but rather was in response to a post that had nothing to do with the article and I simply posted two question marks (??) and that was removed.

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

actually another of my posts was disappeared completely. Niether one of them violated the usage agreement. Seems the Ljw must have some rules that we don't know about.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

The LJW probably knew "unofficially" that the deceased was a police officer, but removed any mention of that fact until they were assured that the next-of-kin had been notified.

Railermom 1 year, 7 months ago

For some who don't think this far ahead, friends of the family may be looking at it. I know the family and they are the sweetest, most loving people you would know. No one would want to see rude comments like that. It's a horrible tragedy and many people are devastated by this.

I was looking for the article in the paper to forward to friends that should know and saw the comments area. That's the only reason I even read it. I thought maybe it was friends commenting.

Whether there was alcohol involved or not, how would you feel to hear that your child or sibling is suddenly gone. Have a heart and some sympathy.

Clickker 1 year, 7 months ago

right. At the end of the day if you think you are completely anonymous on this board, think again. A liberal judge with a supenee can gain access to who the ultimate poster is for something that is deemed libel or criminal. Please do not use this as a forum to bully

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Apparently you don't understand the First Amendment.

And by the way, why would you post a message attempting to incite the family of Officer Klock against an anonymous stranger at the very moment they are suffering from profound and unmentionable grief?

And did you happen to read the last sentence of the article, which by its very mention suggests to all but the markedly obtuse that alcohol might have played a role in this terrible tragedy. .

There are several reasons why this type of news is printed in local newspapers. One of those reasons is that it reminds all of us that something terrible such as this could possibly happen to many of us within the borders of the perceived safety of our community, and give us pause, and perhaps remind us of that old proverb, "there by the grace of God go I."

These are very sensitive matters to talk about, but the fact remains that if but one reader takes note of the possible cause of this accident, (and there are obviously more than one) and modifies their future behavior accordingly, then one of the many purposes for free and unfettered public discourse has been served.

The fact that the First Amendment often upsets the faint hearted, politically correct, and
the millions of people (myself included) who are offended by what they read in the "free market place of ideas and opinionis" does not minimize its importqance nor lessen its protections.

A civil society is not always a polite society.

gl0ck0wn3r 1 year, 7 months ago

There is no 1A on a privately owned message board. You lose. Try again.

jonas_opines 1 year, 7 months ago

Am I guessing there's a disapparated post here? The replies don't really fit the original content.

Clickker 1 year, 7 months ago

He was a fine Officer. RIP Officer Klock

CMM 1 year, 7 months ago

A fine officer indeed. And a very nice person. Used to play basketball with him at the rec center back long ago. RIP Matt and condolences to family, friends and the Lawrence Police Department

gorilla10 1 year, 7 months ago

If one of your comments has to be removed by the journal world in an article about a police officer that just lost their life you're a piece of you know what....

Prayers to him and his family.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, the LJW does have the discretion to remove comments as they deem fit. Censorship? Of course. But they have that legal right.

kef104 1 year, 7 months ago

One's right to delete or not has nothing to do with if censorship is occurring. Censorship is when a right is either used or abused to limit access to information. Censorship has been enacted here, even if only to "protect" an image. There have been at least a few perfectly polite, kindly worded, posts removed. One simply stated that he had heard the deceased was an LPD officer.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

With all due respect, I doubt that is the way it happens. Such pracitce would be akin to mob rule, and the journal world is too sophisticated to allow the mob to rule. My guess is that there is an on duty moderator who reviews the post as soon as practicable after the first "suggest removal" is received," and exercises independent discretion in determining whether to remove that post. I doubt it has very little to do with the number of complaints registered.

For example, I have seen marginally objectionable posts made in response to the most obnoxious right wing jerks on this board removed pretty quickly,. I doubt many of the usual posters here would have objected, and me thinks it was probably a single objection from the obnoxious right winger "victmi" which caused the removal.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 1 year, 7 months ago

Uniform or no uniform, alcohol or no alcohol, youth or adult.... it is a tragedy that he lost his life today. I'm sure his family and friends have more to do deal with than having to see posts that are not sincere.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 1 year, 7 months ago

First of all, this is a person's life not a matter of who did right or wrong. It's really sad that you even bring that up from a situation that has nothing to do with this man's death. Another post to try and make yourself look good, but forget about the real situation of someone losing their life. As I said above uniform or no uniform it's a life taken. You are ignorant to even post that I have hatred towards police officers. I was not related or a friend of the person who was arrested. I did not live there either so that was not my party. You should get your facts straight and move on from New Year's Eve.

madman 1 year, 7 months ago

Matt was a great guy. I am glad I knew him. Thoughts and prayers to the friends and family.

mom_of_three 1 year, 7 months ago

I imagine more will be forthcoming about the accident in the coming days.
very tragic to lose an officer (as very few people want that responsibility these days)

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

I doubt there will be any more "official" information about the accident released in the "coming days." In deference to their deceased colleague and his family, I am almost positive that neither the LPD nor the KHP will issue any further information until a full investigation has been conducted and reports received and reviewed. Toxicology and accident reconstruction reports take weeks, and sometimes months.

I know that in many fatal accidents the authorities sometimes make nonspecific statements to the press shortly after an incident that they "believe __ may have been contributing factor(s) in causing the accident. But since this involves one of their own, I think they will conduct a very thorough and careful investigation before making any further public statements about the matter.

I am not suggesting that such heightened caution is right or wrong. It's merely human nature. As human beings, all of us are more empathetic to the dignity of one of our own as opposed to a complete stranger. I wouldn't expect anything else. .

gl0ck0wn3r 1 year, 7 months ago

"Excessive" quote marks "are" excessive.

stevemarkcraig 1 year, 7 months ago

to get that type of damage to the signal light that vechile was way over the speed limit sober or not sorry that it happend

stevemarkcraig 1 year, 7 months ago

sounds like your an expert so tell us

Daniel Speicher 1 year, 7 months ago

You're the one that made the analysis. The burden falls on you to prove your point. I, frankly, am not sure you have any basis for such a remark. Speed limit at that location on the road, I believe, is still 45mph. Given the icy conditions and the liklihood that the vehicle could not be slowed down adequately, I would imagine a Nissan Altima going at 45mph could easily cause the damage to that light structure that is seen. Maybe not. But, then again, I'm no expert. And, as oletimer pointed out, you likely are not either.

I do not know what the fascination is with ordinary citizens attempting to "take a crack" at guessing what happened in a tragedy where there is limited information to go off of. The most responsible thing for us, as a community to do, is mourn the loss of a man who did nothing more than serve his community dutifully and thank him for such service by keeping our mouths shut on speculation. It is, literally, the least we can do to repay him for his service.

Rest in peace, Officer Klock.

--Danny Speicher

gl0ck0wn3r 1 year, 7 months ago

Ah yes, one of the hallmarks of the internets: make an assertion with no factual information and then, when someone suggests you may not know the facts, ask the responder to back up their suggestion with facts. Yay.

Peaty Romano 1 year, 7 months ago

Condolences to family and friends.

mags_and_k 1 year, 7 months ago

You can ask people to be kind and considerate but that doesn't mean they will be....... You can ask people to grow up, become educated, empathize, sympathize but it doesn't mean they will.....

Fact of the matter is you have a choice, read it or don't! If idiotic, cruel comments bother you, stop reading them. Simple as that. Those that judge will one day be judged. Leave them to their own consequences.

Sad event of another life lost.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 7 months ago

I think that people who comment under their real names are more polite, because we are only a phone call away from accountability for our comments if we're listed in the phone book too. That's an opinion, but I believe it's shared by many.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Perhaps some of the folks you speak of are polite because their purpose in posting is is to demonstrate all who read their posts how wonderfully polite, wise, and intelligent they are.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 7 months ago

Or we're writers in training, you never know.

ironhead80 1 year, 7 months ago

I'am sorry for your loss, I'am sure he was a good person as well as police officer. Anyone who dies is a tragic loss, It's a loss of a human being. I don't like the way people in general, especially the media in the way they go about posting unequal reporting on people who died and the way they died for whatevrer reason how they died and whatever there endeavor was in life doesn't make one special than the others who die in less admiriable circumstances. For the record people who work as a police officer , commit to a life of law abiding citizenship even off duty. There are people out there will alway's criticize you for your mistakes. GOD BLESS

susiepryor 1 year, 7 months ago

Matt was a very nice man. His family and friends, the community, and the Lawrence Police Department will feel his loss. My heart goes out to everyone at the LPD. I had the privilege to work there for a number of years and I know them to be a really great group of people, genuinely dedicated to this community. I know they are hurting today. It's a tough start to 2013. I, too, thank Officer Klock for serving Lawrence.

lawdog 1 year, 7 months ago

Thoughts and prayers for the family.

btownjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

My god, how awful!! How sad for his family, he was young, my age in fact. So many comments deleted... strange..

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

To those who have expressed your condolences to the family, might i suggest if you truly are interested in having those messages reach the family, that you send a card, flowers or other appropriate expression of sympathy to the funeral home, or post an online message of condolence in response to this newspaper's on-line obituary or at the funeral home's website. Such messages are moderated before posting, and require you to identify yourself. I am pretty sure such messages will be received by the family. I am also pretty sure that condolences posted on this message board will not be read by the immediate family.

And, of course, you always have the option of making a donation in memory of the deceased to the charity or charities specified by the family. I am sure such gestures would be very comforting to the family, assuming, of course, that such is your intention.

stevemarkcraig 1 year, 7 months ago

i was talking to a person close to the source they said he might have suffered a medical emergency prior to the wreck can anybody confirm that

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

A lot of things may have happened. A medical emergency. A car traveling north or south may have ran a red light forcing the officer to take quick evasive action under icy conditions. If I mention other possible,. and perhaps more likely contributing factors my comment will probably be subject to deletion after a fellow reader who does not know the deceased or his family takes it upon themselves to serve as Protector-in-Chief of All Public Decency and clicks the "suggest removal" button. .

Suffice it to say, as far as I know, it would be pretty difficult and almost impossible to determine whether someone had some type of medical emergency--e.g. a stroke, seizure or heart attack--without first performing a full forensic investigation. Especially so under circumstances where there were few eyewitnesses, if any, and where the person involved was young and healthy.

Since the accident involved a police officer and required investigation by an outside agency, in this case, the KHP, it is laughable to think that the KHP--an exceedingly professional and highly competent law enforcement agency that plays "by the book"-- would draw any conclusions before the completion of a full investigation. And even if they had initial suspicions, those thoughts would never make it from "the source" to a "person close to the source." to you. These guys are professionals, not school girls.

WTF does "talking to a person close to the source" mean. Is it similar to "I heard it from the next door neighbor of the babysiiter of the second cousin of the boss of the ....."

Are you for real? Do you really believe what you heard. Or are you just trolling?.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

NO. But I did work in law enforcement for over ten years, including several joint investigations with the KHP involving fatality accidents, so I am somewhat familiar with their impeccable professionalism.

purplesage 1 year, 7 months ago

frustratednks is exactly right about disabling the message boards. Look at the number of removed comments. And, yes, bereaved people do read these. I've seen their replies in the past.

Occupation aside, there's a family without someone they love and they deserve to be left in peace. If you want to offer condolences, do it after the obit is published or on the funeral home website. The rest of this is extraneous.

charlie123 1 year, 7 months ago

Prayers to the family.I just dont understand why he wasnt wearing his seatbelt.He is a law enforcement officer. Its a state law that is enforced.If you dont wear it you get a ticket.This officer didnt have his on and it could have saved his life.Seat belts save lives .This message is not to offend anyone.I was just curious why he didnt have it on.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

What don't you understand? Cops are not robots or supermen, but rather mere mortals, just like you and I. Most of them are good and decent people and law abiding citizens, just like you and I. And just like you and I, they are not perfect.

gorilla10 1 year, 7 months ago

You're done in here! Take your bs elsewhere...

jhawkr2000 1 year, 7 months ago

STOP TALKING!!!! STOP TALKING!!! Its always the people with the least amount of knowledge that think they know the most. If readers want to say what they feel they can on this sight. JUST STOP TALKING, The Sycophant... enough of your thoughts.

Bob Forer 1 year, 7 months ago

Perhaps I missed something, but I am a little confused. First, you say "If readers want to say what they feel they can on this sight. [sic]" And in the very next sentence you essentially tell me to STFU.

Didn't somebody famous once say "Censorship of one is censorship of all?"

hackman 1 year, 7 months ago

charlie123 How do you know so much about seat belts? were you there?

Patriot2 1 year, 7 months ago

Did you read the article? "The report says he was not wearing a seat belt."

Patriot2 1 year, 7 months ago

Could very well be he was responding to one of the many disturbance of the early morning to assist his fellow officers. A police officer is seldom really "off duty."

snook3200 1 year, 7 months ago

Matt was a great officer and a good person. honest and fair. we learned to appreciate him. he will be greatly missed by our family. god bless to his friends and family during this difficult time.

charlie123 1 year, 7 months ago

@ hackman did you read the article.apperantly not.The news paper doesnt lie just ask them they only print the truth and was alcohol involved.I think it was mentioned as well they dont know if it was a factor or or not but it is being investigated.Thats what the LJW is saying .

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

once again a noble life is ended quite suddenly.

once again, a man who wears a uniform dies.

once again we know quite certainly we are missing someone valuable.

God grant peace to his mourners. comfort them.

[yes, the bereaved do read these comments, and the comments hang around for a long time]

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

---for some irritating commentrs, the last line of the article actually reads:

---for the love of God! this means what it says! there's no implication either way about whether alcohol was involved!!!

and, it doesn't tell us why he didn't have his seatbelt on. there are of course many possible reasons for this, and all of them would be guesses which would be wrong here. but I can conceive of innocent reasons why he could've had it off.

someone died here, and people are grieving. a good man is lost to us all. and some just want to nit pick?

death walks among us, as I know all too well. tell your loved one you love him or her, show the love, because you truly don't know how many more days there are ahead.

hedshrinker 1 year, 7 months ago

you are welcome to yr opinion, and yes, many people who perform public service of various kinds err at times, but perhaps this public forum on the same day this man died isn't the kindest place for your speculation...sounds like you might have some issues with LEO's.

Paul Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

Absolutely do not turn off comments. This is a healthy way for all of us to deal with our own mortality. It doesn't matter what comments are made. People need to grow up and get out of their warm and fuzzy fantasy land of not offending anyone. The only guarantee we have is death. We need to be able to confront it every time it takes place. If someone made a mistake and it cost them their life...the families are dealing with the exact same thoughts as the comments here. Posters saying what is already on the minds of all doesn't change a thing. For some of us without a 'water cooler'...this is a healthy outlet.

hoosier 1 year, 7 months ago

Than have the decency to put your name with your comment and not hide behind anonymity. Then let's see who will post some of the stuff that they do!

killjoy 1 year, 7 months ago

Absolutely Disable comments

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 7 months ago

My concern is about the final report, if we are due one, is whether or not it is sanitized. Thus the reason I would fall on the side of open discussion. If they halted the comments, it would be much easier for the protectionists to produce an outcome that was in the police departments best interest, factual or not.

Food_for_Thought 1 year, 7 months ago

That's irrelevant. I would venture a guess to say that the KHP investigated the accident to remove LPD's involvement altogether, to eliminate any suspicions of "sanitation", as you put it. Accident reports are public record, and if I'm not mistaken, the last one I ever saw included reasons/causes of the accident. This is how the KDOT collects its statistical data, so to suggest that there is some sort of cover-up conspiracy that includes the doctoring of actual traffic collision statistics is overreaching just a little.

stevemarkcraig 1 year, 7 months ago

since there was no other person involved in the accident and if there is no insurance claim involved they don't have to give the public there findings sealed records

bad_dog 1 year, 7 months ago

Given the involvement of a late-model car that may have had a lien, the destruction of public property as well as any medical assistance rendered, there will very likely be an insurance claim(s) tendered by the estate, the lienholder, the tow company, EMTs and/or the City.

hackman 1 year, 7 months ago

RIP Matt, We will miss you.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

it is good that the comments are not disabled. however, some people sure could learn respect for bereaved hurting folks.
we should discuss, but with respect.

there is no reason to leap to the inference that alcohol was involved.

iridebikesalot 1 year, 7 months ago

Matt was a good friend of mine... And to see the insensitivity of postings from this article astounds me. We are all human...all of us have known someone close who have passed away. No matter the circumstances surrounding Matt's death it's a huge loss for friends, family...his recent fiancé. Have some respect. If your friend died you'd be appalled at how you were acting.