Business

Business

LMH named one of the country’s top 100 hospitals in new independent review

February 28, 2013, 12:50 p.m. Updated February 28, 2013, 5:29 p.m.

The envelope didn’t come with a little gold Oscar statuette, but word of a new award at Lawrence Memorial Hospital is creating similar enthusiasm.

Hospital officials announced on Thursday that LMH had been selected as one of the top 100 hospitals in the country by the industry’s leading healthcare information company.

“We just got an envelope from UPS with a letter congratulating us for being named to the list,” said Gene Meyer, LMH president and CEO. “I think it does validate what we have tried to accomplish for a long time.

“We felt that quality and patient safety provided a foundation we could build upon. We feel like, in many respects, those building blocks were put in place and good things have followed.”

Truven Health Analytics released its Top 100 Hospitals list in the recent edition of Modern Healthcare magazine. LMH was the only hospital in Kansas or Missouri to make the list.

Hospitals do not apply for the award, but rather are chosen based on how they scored on a set of criteria that relies on data from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and other public data. The award ranked LMH against 2,921 other hospitals, comprising the bulk of all hospitals in the country.

The award judges the hospital in areas of patient safety, patient satisfaction, adherence to clinical standards of care, and several other categories.

LMH was included in the overall top 100 list, and also was listed as one of the 20 best medium-size community hospitals in the country.

The hospital has about 1,300 employees, and an operating budget of $220 million. LMH operates as a nonprofit facility, but it routinely generates revenues in excess of expenses of about $10 million a year, which are reinvested into the hospital.

“That reinvestment has been an important part of the process that allows us to continue to improve,” said Janice Early, LMH’s director of community relations.

Meyer credited the hospital’s staff, doctors and its governing board of trustees, which is appointed by the Lawrence City Commission.

“I think being a locally owned facility causes the decision-making process to be based on what is best for our community,” Meyer said.

Over the last decade, the hospital has made several expansions that helped LMH emerge from some financial struggles when Meyer arrived almost 16 years ago. During that time, LMH has added oncology services for cancer patients, surgical upgrades that allow for balloon and angioplasty heart procedures, a new emergency room, and a conversion of shared patient rooms to private rooms.

The hospital is now looking at ways to get a trauma designation that will allow a larger percentage of medical emergency cases to be treated locally.

“We can’t be all things to all people, and we need to know our limitations,” Meyer said. “But we always have believed that what we can do within those parameters, we have to do well.

“We have worked to send the message that we’re not going to do anything unless we can do it in a quality way. I think this helps validate that.”

Comments

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 9 months ago

then why do injured persons always have to be life flighted to KC?

rgh 1 year, 9 months ago

Depends on the severity of the injuries and types of injuries. Not everyone who is injured is taken to KC. Even Wichita has different levels of hospitals due to the specialists being assigned one place or the other and the equipment available. All trauma go to either St. Francis or Wesley while others go to Galicia, St. Joseph, etc. You should be proud of what you have. You could live where I do and have to go 20 minutes to the nearest hospital then probably be transferred to Wichita if it's a trauma or heart case.

tomatogrower 1 year, 9 months ago

Because they aren't certified as a trauma center. They don't have the right equipment to treat head injuries.

Bob Forer 1 year, 9 months ago

I think it goes farther than simply the lack of equipment for head injuries. There are many requirements for being designated as a "trauma center" including having certain types of surgeons available on-call on a 24 hour basis.

Hawkanator 1 year, 9 months ago

I receive regular treatments at LMH, and have had multiple differing procedures there. Their nursing staff, and doctors is second-to-none! I have always gotten terrific care!

Hawkanator 1 year, 9 months ago

I made a grammar error, it should read, "Their nursing staff and doctors are second-to-none!"

Mark Currie 1 year, 9 months ago

Hawkanator, I agree with you 100%. I have been in there a LOT, as well as some other hospitals. I will take LMH any day. I was lifeflighted out of there during my series of heart attacks, but that was before they had their new cath lab up and running. I have had over a dozen heart caths and will take LMH. I wish they would get a really good surgery center in here where they could do bypasses here.

bevy 1 year, 9 months ago

LMH saved my husband's life when he had a heart attack at age 29. He ended up being transferred to St. Luke's because back then they didn't have the cath lab here. Due to his heart issues and the general growing up bumps/bruises/illnesses of my 4 children, I have been to LMH a LOT. They are caring, professional and very friendly, and they provide outstanding care!

Currahee 1 year, 9 months ago

Good to know we have an excellent hospital in our own back yard. Congrats on the achievement. Healthcare is a hard profession where you really cant appease anyone and try to do the best you can. Thanks for your hard work.

Bob Forer 1 year, 9 months ago

This news doesn't surprise me. While my family and I have had contact with only a handful of hospitals, LMH also seemed to stand head and shoulders above the rest. I have always had a hunch that the health care in Lawrence was top notch. This confirms my gut feelings.

Well done, folks. Every health care professional in the city should be proud of their fine efforts.

UneasyRider 1 year, 9 months ago

Have lived in several other areas of country, have to agree this is a top notch hospital.

dontbesilly 1 year, 9 months ago

We've a history with this hospital and family being on staff there; also known some time ago as the "charity" hospital. The quality of care given by those doctors and nurses in the past was impeccable and dedicated. When the tables were turned they and their family members were treated to the same. So glad to see this happen.

Cindy Yulich 1 year, 9 months ago

Wonderful hospital, wonderful staff. They care for the patient AND the patient's family. We are a fortunate community.