Archive for Thursday, February 28, 2013

100 years ago: New ‘special delivery’ option expected to increase parcel-post business

February 28, 2013


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Feb. 28, 1913:

  • "The Post Office Department has just issued an order to the effect that hereafter parcel post packages may be sent under special delivery orders. This is an entirely new ruling, as special delivery for packages has been barred heretofore. In sending a package under special delivery it will be necessary first to affix the necessary parcel post stamps. Then a special delivery stamp, or ten cents in ordinary stamps, must be put on. If ordinary stamps are used for the special delivery purpose, the words 'Special delivery' must be put on also.... Postmaster C. S. Finch of the Lawrence post office anticipates that this order will increase the parcel post business of the local office at least 25 per cent. No doubt, it will be found to be a great convenience to those who are 'in a hurry.'"
  • "The First Regimental band of Lawrence rendered an extraordinarily splendid program last night at their annual concert and ball in Fraternal Aid Hall. The concert consisted of several classical numbers together with a variety of popular numbers which afforded about an hour and a quarter of choice entertainment before the dance began. When the dance began a good size crowd took possession of the dance floor and stepped and glided to the 'catchy' music and time which the band afforded."
  • "'General' Rosalie Jones and her suffrage army marched into Washington, through the capitol grounds and down Pennsylvania Avenue with an escort of local enthusiasts and citizens which fairly choked the streets and delayed traffic. It was one of the most remarkable demonstrations ever seen in Washington. A presidential inauguration could hardly have presented a more enthusiastic spectacle than Pennsylvania avenue from the Capitol to the treasury building. After the disheveled band of suffrage pilgrims swung wearily around the peace monument for the final march of their 250 mile walk the company was forced to fight its way through the veritable walls of shouting humanity. The police were powerless. So dense was the mob of cheering men and women that the march resolved itself into a struggle to make progress.... At the suffrage headquarters as soon as she could get her breath 'General' Jones, lifted by stalwart attendants to an automobile, addressed the crowds shouting through a megaphone a message of equal suffrage and giving thanks for the end of a long and hazardous trip."


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.