Archive for Friday, February 22, 2013

Riordan thinks doctor’s perspective, problem solving skills would be asset to City Commission

February 22, 2013

The simple answer to why Terry Riordan chose a career as a pediatrician, as opposed to some other more glamorous medical specialty, is that he likes kids.

As a father of six, he'd better.

But there’s another answer that is a bit more telling.

“The other thing is adults don’t always tell me the truth,” Riordan said. “Kids almost always tell me the truth.”

Riordan is one of 11 candidates seeking a seat on the Lawrence City Commission.

Terry Riordan

Address: 1613 Tennessee Street

Age: 61

Profession: Physician

Education: Undergraduate degree in biology from Rockhurst College, Kansas City; medical degree from Kansas University; medical residency at Letterman Army Medical Center, San Francisco

Family: Wife, Elaine; six children

He is the first medical doctor in recent memory to seek a seat on the commission, and Riordan said he thinks it would be a good prescription for the community.

“Every day as a physician I’m helping people, and that is what this job as a city commissioner should be about too,” Riordan said.

A caring place

Riordan, 61, is a partner in Lawrence’s Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Group. But before he came to Lawrence in 1983 to join the practice, he was an Army doctor looking for a new home upon his discharge.

He and his wife have a daughter with a mild mental handicap who would need some special attention in the school system. Riordan grew up in Johnson County, and it didn’t take him long to remember Lawrence’s reputation.

“We wanted to go to a place where she would be accepted, and that place was Lawrence,” Riordan said.

Ensuring that Lawrence continues to be that type of place is one of the goals Riordan has as a commissioner.

“I hope this city can continue to be the type of city I saw when I came here — the type of city that cares for its citizens and desperately wants everyone to do well,” Riordan said.

Riordan said having a physician in a leadership position in the city may provide a valuable perspective. If nothing else, it should provide a unique one. Riordan said his research indicates Lawrence has never had a doctor who has served as mayor. And Riordan has done a little bit of mayoral research. A history buff, he and his family live in the historic Ludington-Thacher home in Old West Lawrence. Reuben Ludington was a Lawrence mayor during the time the city was rebuilding from Quantrill’s Raid.

“There is an art of medicine,” said Riordan, who said he has no plans to retire from medicine if elected. “Part of that is understanding what people’s real needs are instead of what they say their real needs are. You have to really like to talk to people, and you need to be intuitive. You have to like the challenge of solving problems.”

Riordan said he likes the idea of trying to solve problems as a city commissioner, but he also said it will be interesting to see what it is like to do so from a political office. Riordan said he figured out long ago — during his senior year at Rockhurst University, when he was student body president — that he didn’t want to be a politician.

“Politicians take a poll and decide what they are going to say after they see the results,” Riordan said. “My thought is to find out what the best situation is for the people, and then do that. That is what leadership is.

“It is not doing what 50 or 60 percent of the people want you to do. You need to do what is right and what is best for everybody.”

Issues

Riordan said one of the issues he hopes to tackle is a problem that has been hanging over the city since before he decided to move here 30 years ago.

“I was told not to come to this town because there was too much fighting,” Riordan said. “People told me that is all they do there. We need to get past that perception. I have a concept of one Lawrence. Not east or west or north or south or Chamber (of Commerce) or non-Chamber.”

On other issues, Riordan said he:

• Wants to work on making Lawrence stronger from an economic development standpoint, particularly by increasing the vocational education opportunities in the city.

• Would continue to promote the special role downtown Lawrence plays in attracting people to the community.

• Plans to seek ways to find significant funding to improve the Lawrence Police Department’s facilities. “The situation they have today doesn’t work,” Riordan said. “It is atrocious what they are having to deal with. We have limits to what we can do, but we need to try to do as much as we can for that department.”

A Feb. 26 primary will narrow the field of 11 city commission candidates down to six. The general election — where the top three vote winners will take a seat on the commission — will be April 2.

Comments

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 10 months ago

How about actually promoting walking and biking in this town by building streets on a traditional grid or a modified grid. You can live a block from somewhere in this town but are often forced to drive a mile to get there. That is why we are so fat. Another idea would be to eliminate drive thru windows at fast food restaurants. Make people take 10 steps to get. Their 1500 calorie value meals...

Al Deathe 1 year, 10 months ago

I first wondered if you even live in Lawrence but then realized I dont think you live on this planet.

parrothead8 1 year, 9 months ago

"You can live a block from somewhere in this town but are often forced to drive a mile to get there."

If you live a block from somewhere, why are you getting in your car in the first place? Why not just walk the block? Maybe THAT is why we are so out of shape.

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, I was exaggerating to make a point. First, if you live west of Iowa, it is hard to walk anywhere because of all the dead end streets. Only Clinton Parkway, Bob Billings Drive and 6th Street even go through E-W. also, only Wakarusa, Kasold and Iowa go through N-S. there are no direct connections walking anywhere. Biking is better, but there are significant barriers (Iowa Street and 23rd Street).

letsbehonest 1 year, 9 months ago

Funny you should mention the drive thru windows and 1500 calorie value meals. There are Riordan signs standing in the grass at both McDonalds on 6th street. Is this what is best for the children of Lawrence? Anything to get a vote.

Catalano 1 year, 10 months ago

Is he planning to be the first doctor-mayor?

patkindle 1 year, 9 months ago

It is not doing what 50 or 60 percent of the people want you to do. You need to do what is right and what is best for everybody.” THE MAJOIRTY OF VOTERS DO NOT WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR EVERYONE THEY VOTE TO GET WHAT WILL BENIFIT THEM MOST THE LAST TWO PRESIDENTIAL ELEDTIONS PROVED THIS GOOD LUCK TO HIS GUY ANYWAY, HE WILL CAVE IN OR GET EATEN UP

frankwiles 1 year, 9 months ago

Dr. Riordan is a kind, funny, and excellent doctor. My daughter is only 7 months old, but the few interactions I've had with him make me think he would be an excellent commissioner.

Catalano 1 year, 9 months ago

I appreciate your candor. I'm always intrigued why people vote for a particular candidate. This primary is weird. I can't find three candidates who agree on every issue that's important to me. So I had to prioritize my issues and take it from there. What issues are important to you and why do you think Dr. Riordan would make a good city commissioner, based on those issues? I'm not sure that being a "kind, funny and excellent doctor" are criteria I would consider when voting for a candidate. And I also wonder if you regularly vote in local elections. I've always considered those the most important. I hope you respond. Thank you.

Katara 1 year, 9 months ago

I am voting for Dr. Riordan as he listens to what you are saying. He doesn't respond with what he thinks you want to hear. He responds with what he thinks is best for the situation. He is good at providing the reasons why he thinks his solution is best. He has been responsive to all questions I've had and keeps you updated.

Catalano 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, I do have to say that some candidates certainly have responded with what they think you want to hear, except some of them have no clue what they're talking about. And other candidates have really figured out how to answer a question without answering it. Not saying Riordan is one of those, just sayin'. Thanks for your response. It's nice to know that some voters out there are actually paying attention. :)

letsbehonest 1 year, 9 months ago

He may be responsive to your questions, however he is telling you more of what you want to hear so you will keep coming back. You are a dollar sign to that man.

Katara 1 year, 9 months ago

Your experience difference greatly from mine in deal with Dr. Riordan. I've disagreed with him and sought 2nd opinions to confirm/or disprove the info he has provided me. I suspect it was the manner in which you behaved had more to do with your attitude toward Dr. Riordan than what it was you disagreed with him on.

letsbehonest 1 year, 9 months ago

He can be kind and he can be funny, yet so can I. However that does not give me the qualifications to be a city commissioner.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

His votes on the planning commission had Chamber of Commerce/real estate industry influence written all over them..... if my memory serves me well.

"Member & chairman of the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission. During my term as chairman, I oversaw the drafting and negotiated the passage of the current development regulations."

letsbehonest 1 year, 9 months ago

He definitely knows what is best for him... That alone should make it best for the rest of us. (hahaha)

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

I love this rhetoric ...

" I believe Lawrence residents would benefit from the addition of paths for biking, walking, and running. We have a unique opportunity with K-10 to almost encircle the city from I-70 to 23rd Street. Funding for such paths should be funded within existing budgets for parks and recreation and/or through a public/private partnership or partnership with the state."

How would Terry Riordan get this through the city commission.? The votes are not there now. Lip service is plentiful..... not substance.

All candidates will be good listeners and all past candidates have claimed they would be good stewards of our tax dollars. Year after year voting taxpayers hear this.

jellybeanies 1 year, 9 months ago

I love Terry Riordan. He was a great doctor to my boys when they were growing up. Without him, one of my sons would not have been diagnosed with a medical condition as early as he was. Other doctors had ignored the issue despite the fact that my son had stopped growing at the age of 3. Dr. Riordan didn't take the situation lightly and immediately got us to the right people to properly diagnose him. Without this early detection, my son would have not reached his true growth potential. Children's Mercy explained that without any intervention, my son's adult height would have been 3'6". He made it to 5'5" and he is grateful for that as an adult.

Dr. Riordan has always treated my children with dignity, respect, patience and true concern. I really feel he is a great man and is an asset that should be utilized.

Catalano 1 year, 9 months ago

But how does his being a great doctor translate into being a good city commissioner? Do the jobs require similar skill sets? I don't know. My kids were grown before I moved here, so I don't know his work as a pediatrician. I guess if one of my kids was a patient of his, I'd be concerned that he might not be available to be the physician when I need him. I wonder about how other people with regular day jobs will be able to do the CC job, too.

jellybeanies 1 year, 9 months ago

I am not trying to sway voters. All I can say is that from my experience with him over many years, he is a very dedicated individual and strives to be the best at what he does. He does this in a way that keeps the best interest of others in mind. He is honest, kind, and respectful. In my opinion, that translates to every part of life and every role he could play as a member of the community.

Alceste 1 year, 9 months ago

So, it's pretty safe to conclude you're emotive about this politcal matter? That your knowledge base is strictly from your emotive support of what the "good doctor" did for you personally and has nothing to do what the "good doctor's" "vision" for Lawrence "is"?

jellybeanies 1 year, 9 months ago

I haven't commented on the political side other than saying that I feel he is a good guy. I have already stated my point is not to sway voters. My comment was strictly on my personal experience with him which I made clear. I have no idea what his political stance is and did not comment towards that. I am just pleased to see him come up in an article because it has been several years since I have seen him. I am indifferent to the politics because I have not researched that side as of yet. This is the first I have heard that he had interest in being on the City Commission.

George_Braziller 1 year, 9 months ago

Good luck with that one. Except for the aftermath of Quantrill's Raid, Lawrence has never been unified on anything. It has a long history of internal strife dating back to the late 1800s. The players may have changed but the game's still the same. And it's a lot of the same issues.

"I have a concept of one Lawrence. Not east or west or north or south or Chamber (of Commerce) or non-Chamber.”

Catalano 1 year, 9 months ago

I think the players' names may have changed in some instances, but not so much the players, in general. Agree that the game is probably still basically the same. What issues do you think are still the same? (I feel like I'm supposed to be "seeding" this article with questions to keep it going, but I swear I'm not! Old habit from Compuserve forum sysop days gone by. Plus, I really do kind of find all of this interesting.)

George_Braziller 1 year, 9 months ago

Check out "Embattled Lawrence Conflict and Community" edited by Dennis Domer and Barbara Watkins. It was put out by KU Continuing Ed in 2001. It's a collection of essays and papers addressing the issues from different perspectives.

Alceste 1 year, 9 months ago

Riordan was part of the "inner circle" of the Oread Neighborhood Associaton several years back. He "punted" when he was actually asked to do some real work; and then resigned.

Riordan has never really supported the "regular gal/guy....especially when eating pastry with the sewing circle ONA, which was overturned after the people who had a real stake in the neigborhood bounced the "good doctor" and his cronies out of "office".

Riordan represents and speaks for the wealthy in Alceste's view: If you're from that ilk, you're vote for Riordan will help you control and manipulate your wealth.

On the other hand, if you're just a regular working stiff, this guy is one which you want to make certain does not get elected: He'll side, over and over and over again, with the monied sector.

Heck....his own section of the Oread Neighborhood is fraught with one one agravated burglarly after another; and one battery upon a person after another. Where's Riordan been in making public remarks to address same? See: case number is 02-13-651 from Jan. 19, 2013 and http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/feb... which is an aggravated burglary some three blocks from where Riordan resides in his welfare subsidized estate. (He got his then cronies from the Oread Neighborhood group to help him secure grant monies from the public to assist in his "purchase" of his estate.....it's not like his doctor's income wasn't enough or anything....but then it's also understood he don't rake his own leaves or shovel his own snow either.......shrug

Putting this "good doctor" in office is like putting a fox in the hen house. What was it that Nancy Reagan said? Something like "Just Say No". Amen

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

"If you're from that ilk (the wealthy), you're vote for Riordan will help you control and manipulate your wealth". Shouldn't it be true for all that they control and manipulate their own wealth to the greatest degree possible?

Old_Oread_Phart 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, there is Alceste, best friends with one-eyed Wilbur. Front-people for the landlords who whore the Oread out on a regular basis.

Alceste, aren't you and Wilbur officers of the Oread Neighborhood oops, Oread Landlords Association now? Seems like you are now responsible for that which you complain about. Such great work you've done.

How many public meetings have either of you been asked to leave in the past, anyway?

If you are a "regular" guy, I'm the King of England.

Alceste 1 year, 9 months ago

Old_Oread_Phart:

Nobody makes people rent units in the Oread Neighborhood. Too, the very one's who do the renting do the tearing apart and blight creating.

The more "Ling" houses that can be created in the Oread.....the better....eventually common sense will rule supreme and the bulk of the "neighborhood" will be razed.

With ever increasing crime being allowed to persist and even grow in the Oread Neighborhood....as KU watches with glee and the simple simons who bought into the neighborhood for "single family dwelling puposes" come to realize just what a horrible mistake they've made....."things" will change in the Oread. What family in it's right mind wants to purchase one of those beat up houses and "refurbish" it only to be surronded by worthless, sense of entitlement children who trash it up? Answer: Only a fool.

Old_Oread_Phart: When are you going to stop your attacks on progress? 1950 done came and went.

frank mcguinness 1 year, 9 months ago

I think Dr Riordan is a nice guy for the most part but if he intends on treating those in the community or in the Commission, when he has a disagreement, the way he treats those in his practice who disagree with some of his recommendations he will be an abject failure.
My family really wanted him as the doctor for our two children but when we stated we would not be immunizing our children he bluntly stated he no longer wants our family in his practice. Obviously his choice. Since then I have spoken with a number of other families who he has treated with the same disdain. Our family does not have some hippy mentality where we based our decision on not immunizing on irrational beliefs but when looking at the CDC recommendations for immunizations we determined that the schedule was not appropriate for our family. Giving an infant ages 0-18 months 14 immunization shots for things like Chicken Pox and Tetanus is something we disagree with. Furthermore my wife is a 3rd year Med student so our understanding of Human Biology and Medicine is not something we gleaned from Jenny McCarthy books. I personally think the CDC herd immunization philosophy is so extreme that we will soon see a day when HPV vaccines are given to infant girls.
That said, I think to be a successful commissioner (like anyone in politics) you need to be able to treat those who disagree with you better than he treated us and many other families who disagree with him. I think when becoming a doctor many have a propensity to believe they are always right (that tends to happen after more than a couple of decades of education).

letsbehonest 1 year, 9 months ago

It seems as it is his way or the highway....

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

I had my concerns about him, since all I really know is that he's a local pediatrician in favor of the sports boondoggle, but his strong moral stance in favor of keeping the other children in his practice safe from anti-vaxxers actually makes me more likely to vote for him. Thank you for sharing your story.

Your wife is a third year med student, which obviously makes her smarter than the combined team of immunologists and epidemiologists that the CDC hires to research vaccines. Yet it's Dr. Riordan's alleged hubris that has you concerned. Interesting.

frank mcguinness 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah because we all know that government agencies are the best way to determine ideal health of our country. Ever heard of pharmaceutical lobbyists. Let me inform your ignorance on a very easy to understand position on the subject since you apparently didn't understand it in the previous comment. Chicken Pox is now a vaccine given to infants. Have you ever known or even heard of someone dying from Chickenpox? 50 Children die annually from it so we should vaccinate our kids from it? What idiocy! Same with Tetanus. 31 Cases of Neonatal tetanus annually so Vaccinate your kids! Same Idiocy. You sound like the biggest lemming on earth, whatever the doctor says do it.

Are you aware that in the 1949 there was a well publicized ad that stated "More Doctors Prefer Camels over other cigarettes. Google it.

I am glad you follow your doctors recommendation to the letter. Generations from now I am sure your offspring will thank you for not questioning what someone tells you.

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

So can we see the peer-reviewed research that you've contributed to this discussion, or are you stuck at simply mistrusting the research others have done without any specifics? I thought so.

Go on. "Inform my ignorance." Please proceed.

You're agreeing that children (and adults, too actually) die of chicken pox. (It was actually an anual death rate of 100-150 prior to the vaccine.) Thousands more landed in the hospital each year. Since routine vaccination began, they've reduced both the hospitalization and death rate from chicken pox. Are you seriously arguing that 50 children should die from it if it's something we can prevent? Are you arguing that children should die of tetanus every year?

The only justifiable reason you argue that vaccine-preventable deaths are beneficial is if you could show that the danger of deadly adverse reactions was greater than the lives it saved, and that's something you're not even attempting to do in this comment. Not that you'd have an easy task, since the preponderance of evidence disagrees with that assessment.

The bulk of your argument seems to be, "But.... big pharma!" Mmm, ok. Please tell your wife to stop going to med school if you think that pharmaceuticals are always, always bad things. Being wary of marketing claims can be done without ignoring science.

As it happens, I've actually studied your Camel ad as an example of what not to do in scientific research. Red herring. It was an intentionally deceptive marketing campaign, not an example of valid research. The preponderance of evidence, even at the time of the infamous Camel ad, said that cigarettes were bad for you.

Your last jab is the classic "blind sheep" argument. Essentially you believe that if I analyzed the data, I'd come to the same conclusion you did. I've yet to be convinced that you've actually analyzed the data, but either way - you're wrong. I've done extensive research. I wanted to know why we all needed chicken pox vaccines. I wanted to know why children needed Hep B vaccines. After a lot of reading, (including the poorly researched Sears' book that is likely your big source) I came to the conclusion that the CDC knew what it was talking about both in the number and timing of inoculations.

Vaccines are quite possibly one of the most life-saving medicines ever invented, and Dr. Riordan was right to drop you like a hot potato. You put his other patients at risk.

frank mcguinness 1 year, 9 months ago

WOW, so 150 people die a year so we need to vaccinate millions every year. Get over it. That's the same line of thinking that will have the number up from 14 to 400 in the years to come. So someone dies from something that "MAY" be preventable so lets just vaccinate everyone. Thats the idiocy I am referring to. Furthermore millions are vaccinated for influenza annually and yet they still contract the virus or even worse die from it, all the while possibly creating a super flu.

Furthermore I am arguing that the line of reasoning that 150 people die a year are completely preventable by vaccines which is not the truth or infant deaths from Tetanus or Chicken Pox would have been eradicated not reduced.

There is in fact a potential for adverse reactions when people are vaccinated because there then becomes a chance that a new strain or mutation of the virus will be created as has happened in the past all to save 50-100 lives annually. So basically you are saying lets take a chance at creating a super chicken pox or super tetanus to save 100 lives in the entire USA. You take that challenge, I won't.

Nobody ever said big pharma is a bad thing entirely. I and many others simply believe there is a pragmatic balance between pumping our children with 14 vaccines before they can walk when their chance of being one of the 150 deaths annually a statistical outlier. Furthermore as noted above even with the vaccine you can still die from it as has been pointed out.

I never said you should think the way I do. You live your life, I will live mine.

Finally, Since all of the Drs patients are vaccinated why would there be a risk of my children pose a risk to the vaccinated children? They are prevented from getting the illnesses from being vaccinated right?

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow. You really are arguing that there's an acceptable level of dead children so long as we don't all have to be inconvenienced by a shot. That's not pragmatic. That's monstrous.

You're also conflating the demonstrable efficacy of the chickenpox vaccine with the flu vaccine - different disease, different vaccine. It doesn't create the superflu though. It's not like using too many antibiotics.

You're never going to get rid of deaths from tetanus. It's in the soil. It's not spread human to human. The immunity conferred from the vaccine is temporary, and the disease itself is too deadly to gain immunity by natural exposure. The best you can do is dramatically reduce the number of deaths, which has been done, because the vaccine works.

Other diseases can potentially be eliminated, just like smallpox was. Polio is close, but pockets of vax deniers are still keeping it alive. We may yet eliminate it within our lifetime, and then future children will not need the vaccine, just like they don't need a vaccine for smallpox anymore. Because vaccines work.

You can be pragmatic, but base your decision on facts and not fears. We're constantly bombarded with viruses and bacteria and have an immune response to eliminate the threat, even as babies. The number of vaccines is neither shocking nor overwhelming once you've educated yourself on how they work. Vaccines use the body's response to form antibodies for something that would be far more dangerous if the baby were exposed to it naturally.

You may think your odds of dying from chickenpox are slim, and they are, but your odds of dying from chickenpox are still greater than your odds of being harmed in any way by the vaccine. Your risk benefit analysis is skewed, and you're being irresponsible and irrational as a result.

You've already pointed out that a vaccine isn't a 100% guarantee of immunity. Nobody claimed otherwise. If it were, it wouldn't be a public health risk to everyone else that you've decided to raise your own little disease vectors. However, some of those babies in that doctor's office are too young for a vaccine. Some may have problems with their immune system or cancer or a true medial reason why they can't receive a vaccine. You're endangering them. Herd immunity is a real thing, and it's the secondary barrier of protection that comes from a vaccine. You endanger public health with your selfish freeloading on the herd immunity, and the doctor was right to kick you out of his practice because of it.

frank mcguinness 1 year, 9 months ago

Look I am an adult and take it like I can dish it but its wholly inappropriate to call my children disease vectors. Flagged your comment.

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

Disease vector: any living organism that transmits an infectious agent. That's not an insult. It's a description of fact. And it's something that applies to everyone at one point or another. Everyone sheds cold virus or other illnesses before they even realize they're sick. Kids are unusually talented at spreading disease. Yours have the potential to spread far deadlier diseases that could have been prevented by immunization.

letsbehonest 1 year, 9 months ago

Riordan is a smart man. He is a good doctor. He is a man who knows what to say and when to say it. And he will go to bat for you as long as it is something that he too believes in, especially if there is money involved. And you know, he is always right and believes what is best for him is indeed what is best for everyone else as well. It is difficult to see others' views when you are used to getting or buying your way in life. That said, if he does not agree with you or your views, or you don't agree with him and his views, he will drop you like a hot potato while turning his back on you as he is walking away. Is that what this city really needs??

letsbehonest 1 year, 9 months ago

then together they would make quite a pair

frank mcguinness 1 year, 9 months ago

It's all about the context. I suppose by that same line of reasoning I can call you a Penis Wrinkle since as a human male you likely have one.

pti3 1 year, 9 months ago

RE: Chootspa: Not about vaccines or Riordan, but a google search on related topic "bias and reliability in medical research"

The Atlantic Lies, Damned Lies, and Medical Science David H. Freedman Oct 4 2010 http://m.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/11/lies-damned-lies-and-medical-science/308269/

Merck Paid Elsevier to Publish Phony Peer-Review Journal http://www.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/585/70/

Beware the creeping cracks of bias http://www.nature.com/news/beware-the-creeping-cracks-of-bias-1.10600

Drug Trials Unreliable Because Of 'Spin And Bias', Toronto Study www.huffingtonpost.ca/ 2013/ 01/ 09/ drug-trials-unreliable-study_n_2443631.html

current ethical violations (in this case, government sponsored research); EPA Diesel Gas & Pollutant Inhalation Experiments Tuesday, 18 December 2012 http://www.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/882/9/

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

This isn't a secret. It's part of the reason Wakefield's poor research made such a splash when it was published in the Lancet. (It was later retracted - along with his medical license.) He also made an earlier splash with a poorly conducted study on Crohn's disease. People love sensational outliers more than they like consistent results, people love cures more than they do placebos, and there's certainly a lot of reason to be suspicious of overly optimistic or pessimistic results.

In the case of vaccines, there's been a lot of research, a lot of replicated results, and a lot of very critical reviews of what has been done. The research that has been rejected as being biased or poorly done has largely been of the anti-vaccine variety. Wakefield's infamous paper, for instance, claimed to find measles RNA using a test that could not have ever produced that result.

pti3 1 year, 9 months ago

A couple more on interesting links on reliability of published medical journal articles, bias and ethics in medical research:

The Ethical Nag Marketing Ethics for the Easily Swayed A philosopher’s take on Big Pharma marketing

The New York Review of Books Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption January 15, 2009

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

There's a plethora of quality research out there on vaccines. We've had vaccines longer than we've had a powerful pharmaceutical lobby, and we have vaccines in countries that don't allow pharmaceutical companies to become huge money making machines.

Pharmaceutical companies would actually make more profit by selling cures to vaccine-preventable illnesses than they would in selling the vaccine, and they're insulated from direct lawsuits from parents. So they don't have the same monetary incentives to bias vaccine research that they do, say, research on fat loss drugs or boner pills.

pti3 1 year, 9 months ago

Current issue on the topic of vaccine testing, please see: US Government Plans To Test Anthrax Vaccine on Children Sunday, 24 February 2013 http://www.ahrp.org/cms/content/view/907/9/ "Government Fear Mongering: Phony "Pandemics" and Bioterrorist "Threats"  Help stop the US government from injecting children with anthrax vaccine in an experiment whose aim is to justify increased expenditure for BioThrax for civilian stockpile. "

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

Relevant quote from a book I just saw:

"Doubt is our product," a cigarette executive once observed, "since it is the best means of competing with the 'body of fact' that exists in the minds of the general public. It is also the means of establishing a controversy."