Archive for Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Snow coming down hard, area roads snowpacked

February 20, 2013, 8:41 a.m. Updated February 21, 2013, 8:23 a.m.

City crews stopped to help a motorist at the intersection of Vermont and Seventh streets about 8 a.m. Thursday.

Lawrence is right on the line between heavy snowfall and sleet, according to the most recent winter forecast.

• 8:15 a.m. Update

As predicted, heavy snow began falling in Lawrence just after 7 a.m. this morning. The heavy accumulation is expected to continue throughout the day, with up to three inches of snow per hour.

Lawrence roads are snowpacked, as are major highways and other roads in the state, including Interstate 70 and Kansas Highway 10.

Emergency dispatchers have been sending out medical and law enforcement personnel to numerous traffic accidents, but there doesn't appear to be any initial reports of serious injury accidents.

• Midnight Update

The National Weather Service is forecasting as much as a foot of snow for the Lawrence area Thursday as a major winter storm moved in overnight. Snow started falling around midnight, but most of the snowfall is expected during the day Thursday, possibly coming down at a rate of as much as two inches an hour.

Kansas University and school systems around the area canceled classes for Thursday. Other organizations, including the state Legislature, said they were suspending activities for the day. For a complete list of closings, click here.

The bulk of the snow is expected between during the day. Thursday, and the NWS said travel will be "nearly impossible late Thursday." A winter storm warning is in effect for the Lawrence area through midnight Thursday.

The weather service's forecast is for heavy snow that began just after daylight early Thursday morning, accumulating about six to 10 inches. An additional one to two inches may accumulate Thursday night.

Safety tips

The Kansas Department of Emergency Management provided the following tips to stay safe during the storm:

• Prepare an emergency home preparedness kit with food, water and other essentials, such as medication.

• If your power goes out, and must use a gasoline generator, keep the generator outside and away from the home.

• Drive only if necessary and have a winter kit ready, which should include ice scrapers, blankets, flashlights, jumper cables, a tow rope and matches.

City crews were working 12-hour, round-the-clock shifts in preparation for the storm, according to a news release issued Wednesday by a city of Lawrence spokeswoman.

Crews also completely pre-treated roads throughout the city. The pre-treatment process is "able to provide a barrier which breaks the bond between the snow/ice and pavement," according to the release.

When snow begins to fall, city crews will focus on clearing roads. However, because of the heavy snow accumulation expected, some roads may not be completely cleared until Friday and into Saturday.

"We have already called in additional resources to help out," said Mark Thiel, assistant public works director. "Additional city departments and private contractors have already been put on notice for assistance."

The release advises motorists to stay off the roadways during the storm if possible.

City crews will also be collecting trash early Thursday morning, and residents with Thursday pick-up times were asked to set their trash out Wednesday evening.

Area residents have been stocking up on supplies in anticipation of the storm.

To check city updates on snow conditions and closures, including a traffic map with intersection cameras, click here to check out the city's local snow resource website.

Comments

JovianaRex 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't think Lawrence did a very good job of snow removal, as usual. I was sorry to see that people who live off of 27th and ON 27th were treated to NO snow removal the whole day, as I expected. . I moved out of Lawrence for the attitude that I encountered when I complained about the lack of snow removal, but sadly, I work there now. In 2010, my cul-de-sac was done like FOUR days after the snow fell. And this was still snow that blocked people from leaving the cul-de-sac, big snow, a lot of it. And I was told I had to clear sidewalks in two.
Lawrence Journal World DID miss a very large story with that car on fire, it isn't even under your "fire crimes and court" section, why is that?

tashadono 1 year, 2 months ago

What weather site are Lawrencians using that actually is up to date on the amount of snow we have received? Am I missing the live update on ljw, or are they sticking with 8:23am as the most current info they have?

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

KU and USD 497 called off school Wednesday evening before 9 PM.

People began falling out their chairs in disbelief. Others we requesting treatment for shock by way of Copperhead. Still others were spotted jumping up and down with joy on their way to La Prima Taza for Latte and cookies.

Yet another circle of socialized interacting humans seemed to be off to the Bourgeoisie Pig with large smiles.

Thousands of parents throughout this community are being suspected of praising the early decision which was immediately followed up with celebrating the opportunity to sleep in.

Thanks for the early decision school officials.

kufan8808 1 year, 2 months ago

I was woken up by Thundersnow! It was the coolest thing ever and there was quite a bit of from 6:30 to 7:30, You might want to make an update about this!

matahari 1 year, 2 months ago

ohhh ok, after the last snowflake falls! Clear on that now, thanks!

matahari 1 year, 2 months ago

48 hours from when? the first snowflake falls?

CHEEZIT 1 year, 2 months ago

Channel 6 says State Government closed! Do they have to make up a snow day too? Paid?

foxli 1 year, 2 months ago

Since homeowners are required to clear sidewalks, are property managers and landlords required to clear tenant parking lots? I was stranded in the Christmas Day storm a few years ago because my old property management didn't plow the parking lot for a few days, and I couldn't get my car out even when the roads were clear. I live in a different place now, but from what I've seen (the light snow and ice thus far), this management company doesn't clear the lot either.

Christine Anderson 1 year, 2 months ago

Wait-the latest NWS map says "flurries" over the Topeka and Lawrence area. What is so disastrous about that? The forecasted amounts keep changing, and going down.

kufan8808 1 year, 2 months ago

To those earlier discussing KU class cancellation.... I am a KU student. All my labs and tests have already been cancelled! Considering this and the fact that residents are being asked to put out their trash a day early makes me think that Lawrence public schools will cancel this evening as opposed to in the morning.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 2 months ago

when I was a kid, we always walked to school, never rode the bus. school was never cancelled for weather. this in includes the winters of 60 and 61 in Kansas which were bad and Massaschucetts 62-64 where we measured snow by where it was on the stop sign. those were the good old days.

Catalano 1 year, 2 months ago

BlizzardOfOz for latest updates as the storm tracks our way.

msezdsit 1 year, 2 months ago

I will believe it when I am scooping my 180' of sidewalks. When does scooping cross over to be excavating. Surely a foot must be gettin pretty close.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 2 months ago

despite all this information, Lawrence Public Schools will still manage to wait until 6:00 am tomorrow to cancel schools.

Scut Farkus 1 year, 2 months ago

A meaningless comment really, but I35 runs north and south. I imagine they meant to say west of I35 and East of I 35. North of I 35 would be Duluth MN and south of I35 would be Laredo. In any event, this should be interesting.

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 2 months ago

Will we be allotted more than 48-hours of clearing sidewalks? We haven't had this much snow since 2009/2010!