Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Topeka lawyer who defrauded fund for KU sentenced to five years in prison

February 19, 2013

Advertisement

A Topeka lawyer was sentenced Tuesday to five years in federal prison for orchestrating a "Ponzi" scheme that defrauded clients out of more than $500,000, including funds intended for Kansas University.

Robert M. Telthorst, 52, pleaded guilty in November to wire fraud charges, including diverting nearly $80,000 provided by “Albert and Bertha J" in May 2010 to support a charitable trust for the Kansas University School of Business.

According to court records, Telthorst instead used the money to further support a scheme he devised with several other client-funding sources.

By April 2011, the trust to benefit KU had been drained to less than $1,800. In addition, Telthorst was accused of defrauding several other clients of more than $460,000.

All of the funds diverted were either used for Telthorst’s personal benefit or to replenish funds he had diverted from other clients, the indictment alleges.

Telthorst — who has since been disbarred — was ordered to pay more than $537,000 in restitution.

Comments

Old_Oread_Phart 1 year, 1 month ago

And yet not a single banker on Wall Street has served any time for the largest financial pillage in world history.

2

irtnog2001 1 year, 1 month ago

He was just trying to recoup some of his lost Ku tuition

1

Gary Pomeroy 1 year, 1 month ago

So very harsh. remember, it is the 98% of lawyers that make the other 2 % look bad.

2

neworleans 1 year, 1 month ago

Typical lawyer...........crooks..............

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.