Archive for Tuesday, February 19, 2013

City crews prepping early for Wednesday’s expected snow storm

February 19, 2013

Forecast from the National Weather Service.

Forecast from the National Weather Service.

With a winter storm expected to hit the area Wednesday evening, city crews already have started prepping city streets.

"We've all been watching the weather," said Megan Gilliland, the city's communications manager. She also said crews plan to pre-treat the entire city by storm time.

A Winter Storm Watch that was issued Monday by the National Weather Service will be in effect from Wednesday evening until Thursday afternoon. The Lawrence area could see between 6 and 10 inches of snow, in addition to ice accumulation.

The NWS service warned of treacherous travel conditions throughout the area, particularly Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.

Gilliland said she'll meet with city officials Tuesday and Wednesday solidifying road crew plans, adding that crews will be out in full force Wednesday afternoon.

Click here to check out the city's local snow resource website.

Comments

jhawkinsf 1 year, 10 months ago

I was certain we were going to get a major storm, until I read the city was already prepping the streets. Gotta hedge my bets now.

Currahee 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks for your hard work to keep the streets safe. I want to ask though, why weren't the streets pretreated during the last storm we had that generated blizzard like conditions in December?

Currahee 1 year, 10 months ago

Ah, I didn't even realize it rained first. Silly me, that makes more sense.

Jeremiah Jefferson 1 year, 10 months ago

Better have all the city owned and maintained sidewalks shoveled in 48 hours or else. That means all of the city parks, the Mass Street bridge, the nearly 2 mile stretch of Clinton Parkway side walk and other sidewalks not directly in front of privately owned buisnesses and homes. Better do it by hand too. When your done you can do the streets while your at it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm following the city's lead, and getting out ahead of the storm.

I just finished shoveling my sidewalks, and I'm glad I did, because it'd be much more difficult if I procrastinated until Thursday to do it.

grammaddy 1 year, 10 months ago

Got behind a salt truck this morning. By Wednesday, all that salt will be in the gutters.

Bob Forer 1 year, 10 months ago

There are two things which the city does quite well--picking up trash and clearing the streets after a major snow storm. It takes both good planning and hard work. Props to all involved for a job very well done.

gsxr600 1 year, 10 months ago

I guess they're really good at clearing the streets before a "major" snow storm too now.

Bob Forer 1 year, 10 months ago

Why are you so negative? A good job requires preparation. And once the snow starts falling, crews are out around the clock in cold weather working their butts off so you can make it to work and buy groceries, etc, the next morning. Give it a rest.

msezdsit 1 year, 10 months ago

I wonder if we will really get a storm or if it will just skirt us again. We have been pretty fortunate but as they say we could sure use the moisture.

Patricia Davis 1 year, 10 months ago

Here's a thought: Deffenbaugh has announced it won't pick up Thursday's recycling. Our city's sanitation has asked that we put out trash tonight because they will be coming early tomorrow. Agree our trash guys are the best! Be safe and know we appreciate your hard work in difficult circumstances.