Archive for Monday, February 18, 2013

Letter: Fitting photo

February 18, 2013

To the editor:

Pity the poor editor of the Journal-World’s letters column, who must daily trudge through submissions from some of the worst cranks in town before occasionally turning up a gem worth printing. Mine probably belongs to the former category, but here goes anyway. For my pet peeve concerns nothing more portentous than the file photo of Gov. Sam Brownback that runs alongside columns announcing his latest policies.

The photo shows Brownback with eyes askance, jowls flapping, mouth open. It looks for all the world like the likeness of a bleating sheep!

Not that I am a fan of the governor. He is a mean-minded Uriah Heep of an official who soaks the poor, aggrandizes the rich and tries at every turn to undermine the state’s systems of social services, public education, fair taxation and practically anything else citizens value. Too often, he descends from the high road of public policy to strut the sawdust trail. Yet, I belong to the old school who believe that a head of state ought to be accorded a modicum of respect by virtue of his office. I have met the governor on several occasions, and, while no matinee idol, he certainly merits a more flattering pictorial representation than this.

May I suggest that this hideous photo be replaced, or at least alternated, with another one he has used in his campaign literature? It shows the governor full-face and grinning like the Cheshire Cat (the man does have a nice set of teeth!). Although it may strike some as something cropped from a college yearbook, it would impart a certain air of dignity to a man who may not deserve it, but whose office does.

Comments

Ken Lassman 1 year, 10 months ago

I think this college picture of Sam should be used more:

windjammer 1 year, 10 months ago

There is no such thing as a flattering photo of Browneye.

50YearResident 1 year, 10 months ago

Add to this request the file photo of the other cheshire cat file photo, of our City Manager. It always gives me the same impression.

msezdsit 1 year, 10 months ago

you took the flames right of my mouth while I was downloading that, the portrait, which will forevermore represent our gubner. It is well on its way to rivaling Curry's portrait of John Brown.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 10 months ago

"Uriah Heep" puts it rather well.

My personal favorites are the photos of him with arms raised imploringly, hands open beseechingly, the facial expression exuding a confident piety. It's the "Savior pose", and it is assumed with great frequency during his public speaking engagements.

"Yea, I speaketh unto you from the Book of Koch: 'Though you walk through the valley of the Shadow of Debt, fear not! Free all business owners, free even multi-billionaires; free them from state income tax! Free the wealthy from taxation first!' "Hear me, my brothers and sisters: Free them and feel the warmth of God's happiness for having done it. For these, your Wichita Masters and their Disciples, shall one day kneel with me in praying for guidance in how to reward your labors and blind devotion!"

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 10 months ago

"Yet, I belong to the old school who believe that a head of state ought to be accorded a modicum of respect by virtue of his office"

Well said. I am certainly no fan of Brownback - didn't vote for him the first time, won't vote for him the second time around. BUT, I have found there exists a segment of society that is ready to detest his every move before they even assess his move. I TRULY believe that Brownback could donate $1,000,000 to charity and we would be flooded with comments about how his move was clearly evil because he just wanted a tax write-off.

Eileen Jones 1 year, 10 months ago

He has yet to make a move that helps anyone but his wealthy sponsors.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 10 months ago

I say the letter writer implies the office of the governor deserves respect NOT Sam Brownback.

Sam Brownback is like toxic pollution. It's going to take a lot of money to clean up after this fiasco.

UneasyRider 1 year, 10 months ago

I would say most people respect the office, it's the occupant that most don't respect.

Eileen Jones 1 year, 10 months ago

He is not a charismatic individual. He projects phoniness.

JW1943 1 year, 10 months ago

Every person in Kansas knows that he lies through his teeth & only cares about the millionaires. I say the JW photo is actually entirely too flattering, he should be wearing a pinochio nose. They've put his picture on the dartboards at the bars, the last time that happened it was Bin Ladin's face. Also, like the afro, actually looks better than the current Conway Twitty style.