Archive for Saturday, February 16, 2013

Driver crashes into house after losing control of vehicle on K-10

February 16, 2013

Plywood covers a house in the 2000 block of East 23rd Street Terrace after a man in a pickup truck lost control on Kansas Highway 10 and drove through the house. Neither the driver nor person who was home was injured; however the house was badly damaged and deemed uninhabitable.

A driver on Kansas Highway 10 on Saturday lost control of his pickup truck and drove through the back of a house in the 2000 block of East 23rd Terrace.

About noon Saturday, the driver was heading westbound on K-10 approaching Lawrence when he lost control of his vehicle, crossed the median of K-10 and the eastbound lanes, and crashed through a fence and into the kitchen area of the house, said Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz. There were no injuries reported in the incident; however, the house, at 2014 E. 23rd Terrace, was badly damaged. The structure was deemed uninhabitable and the fire department braced the house as a precaution before the truck was removed and towed away.

No drugs or alcohol were involved in the incident, and no arrests were made, according to a police report.

Comments

dhardee1 1 year, 1 month ago

Hello, I'm the owner of the house so I thought I would weigh in. The driver did not have a mechanical failure and did not have a seizure or other medical problem. The vague excuse he gave was "I lost control of my vehicle." I will let the police decide if this is a reasonable excuse while driving in a straight line with a posted speed limit of 45 mph on roads that were in good condition. (I drove on them and they were in fine condition by the end of the morning.) I'm trying not to be bitter, but the more I think about it the less it makes sense to me.

Anyways, my point is people have accidents on K-10 all the time for a variety of reasons. I am planning on soon organizing a petition to request trees planted or at least a wire barrier put on the side of K-10 to protect the homes and businesses that are alongside it. I will post again on this thread when I start this process and would appreciate help in this since it seems that a lot of people feel strongly about the situation like I do. Thanks everyone.

Jacob Pool 1 year, 2 months ago

You guys all have ideas of what to do in this accident but I am sure in a moment of crossing the median of a highway you would shut or engine off while going into oncoming traffic! Some people... Just never gets old

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

and Thuja, I'm far from the only poster here expressing frustration about BJ on this thread, just I brought in some of his topics from other previous annoying threads. remember, we don't live in a buble, and one day follows another. now, try to calm down and take another breath. you'll be allright.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

^^Ron Holzwarth 3 hours, 48 minutes ago

You can plant trees, which take a while to grow, or you can have boulders placed in your yard, which is very expensive, about $75,000 each for a good sized one.

---Ron, I kne about this, much more than CA doing this. but you serious??? $75K???

that's a lot of money for one big rock!

thebcman 1 year, 2 months ago

Of course, the driver is 100 percent at fault, but I also blame the developers who throw together these subdivisions with the cheapest materials available. If these new homes were constructed halfway decently, they could take a blow like this and still be habitable.

Kris Norton 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't worry Buck, the driver will get blamed (and should) by the home owners insurance company. This is what insurance is for (if the driver has it!), and his/her premium will probably increase. Accidents do happen. That is reality. I've caused a crash, and have been crashed by others fault. You seem super-duper passionate about this. I can't make judgement about the driver yet as I don't know all the details.....

Armored_One 1 year, 2 months ago

No, I don't know exactly what happened. Point of fact, No One on this forum knows, although apparently buckjennings is omniscient and knows exactly what happened.

Since I see no pictures of the vehicle itself, although I admit I am not overly interested in hunting for them, could it be that his tire popped, which would make it difficult to control?

Could it be that he was texting and simply lost control and panicked?

Could it be that no one knows what was going on and we will likely hear more about it in a future article, given the history of the JW returning to a story at a later date with a more complete picture of what happened?

I am glad, however, that we have people like buckjennings in our neck of the woods. With his lightening reflexes and infailable ability to control every situation with the utmost finesse, we won't have to worry about him having an accident. However, since buck apparently doesn't suffer from accidents, everything that does happen in his/her life MUST be deliberate.

Bu, as I said, I'll just wait for more information to be presented before deciding if this was just one of those excrement occurs moments or if it was a fine example of rampaging stupidity having consequences for more than the fool that caused the issue. I do, however, have a great deal of sympathy for the family that was displaced by this, regardless of the cause.

jellybeanies 1 year, 2 months ago

It doesn't really matter if it was an "accident" or not. The driver is liable. This is a simple principle that I teach my kids. Intent doesn't always matter. If you bring harm to someone or their property, you should have to face the consequences.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

Was this vehicle traveling at 151 mph?

buckjennings 1 year, 2 months ago

All of the comments above prove the point I've been trying to make, yet in our car-centric society where no one is actually taught to think critically, it's flown over the heads of most of the people here.

One point worth making that I find interesting is how when a pedestrian is run over after attempting to cross 23rd St in an ill-advised place, the general consensus here from the peanut gallery is that she had it coming. "Darn it, she broke the law!" "She should have known better!" Yet when someone has a boo-boo like this then everyone is quick to rush to his defense. "Gosh, these things can happen to anyone!" Amazing how the standards for pedestrians appears to be much higher than that for those operating a large vehicle.

mom_of_three 1 year, 2 months ago

very lucky he didn't hit anyone while crossing the eastbound lanes. It could have been much worse. Yes, he could have had medical problems, but you would have thought they would have mentioned it, because medical problems might need an ambulance, especially after you hit a house.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe the house jumped out in front of the truck, making the house at fault. I'm surprised no one has yet suggested that obvious answer.

Kirk Larson 1 year, 2 months ago

Can't wait for when fate catches up with BJ and he's all "But...but...but". Yes, you should be careful and deliberate. You should maintain your vehicle and drive defensively. But, despite one's best efforts and intentions, the plain fact is sometimes POOP happens.

overthemoon 1 year, 2 months ago

But another crazy headline. Vehicles don't lose control.

overthemoon 1 year, 2 months ago

Perhaps the driver had a medical problem. I saw an incident like this once on k10---nothing was hit and no one was hurt when the truck suddenly went out of control, crossed the median, slipped by oncoming traffic, crashed thru the fence and ended up well into the field. The cause was the driver had an epileptic blackout.

kusp8 1 year, 2 months ago

There's got to more to this story.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

twice in just a few months, houses in southeast lawrence have had cars driven into them, once intentionally and this by apparent accident/equipment failure.

if I were a SE lawrence house, I'd be getting worried about now.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 2 months ago

the real problem in this thread is that one poster is intensely antivehicle, and uses any topic as an opportunity to twist to his warped agenda. he actually believes the scam of global warming, and thinks that people shouldn't drive cars at all. given his way, we'd all live in a third world existence.

myownme 1 year, 2 months ago

We drove by this as the vehicle had been loaded onto the tow truck... it was a newer model dodge truck. I'm not sure of the cause of the ACCIDENT, but I do know one thing for sure. .. we do not live in an ACCIDENT free world! Unless you live in a fantasy bubble, ACCIDENTS happen.

grammaddy 1 year, 2 months ago

The truck could have had a mechanical failure of some kind causing him to lose control. Stop placing blame. Be thankful no one was hurt.

50YearResident 1 year, 2 months ago

That is extensive damage for it to happen in a 45 MPH zone, don't you think. Using the brakes might have avoided this.

MacHeath 1 year, 2 months ago

In a "reality-based" world, people would only speak if they knew what they were talking about. Wait..that is totally wrong. This is reality, and in the real world there are people that always have an opinion without knowing what they are talking about.

buckjennings 1 year, 2 months ago

I can hear it now: "It was only an accident." In a reality-based world an individual like this should lose his license. Also, in a reality-based world, we wouldn't be required to drive everywhere for everything in order to avoid second-class citizenship.