Archive for Saturday, February 16, 2013

Driver crashes into house after losing control of vehicle on K-10

February 16, 2013

Plywood covers a house in the 2000 block of East 23rd Street Terrace after a man in a pickup truck lost control on Kansas Highway 10 and drove through the house. Neither the driver nor person who was home was injured; however the house was badly damaged and deemed uninhabitable.

A driver on Kansas Highway 10 on Saturday lost control of his pickup truck and drove through the back of a house in the 2000 block of East 23rd Terrace.

About noon Saturday, the driver was heading westbound on K-10 approaching Lawrence when he lost control of his vehicle, crossed the median of K-10 and the eastbound lanes, and crashed through a fence and into the kitchen area of the house, said Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz. There were no injuries reported in the incident; however, the house, at 2014 E. 23rd Terrace, was badly damaged. The structure was deemed uninhabitable and the fire department braced the house as a precaution before the truck was removed and towed away.

No drugs or alcohol were involved in the incident, and no arrests were made, according to a police report.

Comments

50YearResident 1 year, 5 months ago

That is extensive damage for it to happen in a 45 MPH zone, don't you think. Using the brakes might have avoided this.

OonlyBonly 1 year, 5 months ago

Or shutting off the vehicle's engine.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 1 year, 5 months ago

It had snowed. He would have slid on the lawn with the mushy soil and all.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 1 year, 5 months ago

The roads were clear by noon. The grass would have been slick.

You are a judgmental person.

grammaddy 1 year, 5 months ago

The truck could have had a mechanical failure of some kind causing him to lose control. Stop placing blame. Be thankful no one was hurt.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 1 year, 5 months ago

In many vehicles, putting the key in the off position locks the steering wheel. Some people from Kansas were killed on Pike's Peak some years back when their brakes began to fail and the inexperienced driver tried to stop the car by turning off the engine. No one survived.

myownme 1 year, 5 months ago

We drove by this as the vehicle had been loaded onto the tow truck... it was a newer model dodge truck. I'm not sure of the cause of the ACCIDENT, but I do know one thing for sure. .. we do not live in an ACCIDENT free world! Unless you live in a fantasy bubble, ACCIDENTS happen.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

the real problem in this thread is that one poster is intensely antivehicle, and uses any topic as an opportunity to twist to his warped agenda. he actually believes the scam of global warming, and thinks that people shouldn't drive cars at all. given his way, we'd all live in a third world existence.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

twice in just a few months, houses in southeast lawrence have had cars driven into them, once intentionally and this by apparent accident/equipment failure.

if I were a SE lawrence house, I'd be getting worried about now.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 5 months ago

Good one gnome! I wish we had emoticons on here.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

You can plant trees, which take a while to grow, or you can have boulders placed in your yard, which is very expensive, about $75,000 each for a good sized one.

Trees will eventually take care of the problem, and boulders will solve it immediately, if you have the money. It's done quite often in high risk areas in California.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

"Just so fluffy" and "That poster," huh? Hmmm, wonder what that means. I use my real name, and I was serious, boulders are placed in California by those who can afford to do it if there is a risk involved. But, they are protecting homes valued at $750,000 and up, usually. And, you know me personally, in case you've forgotten. But that's OK, several of the posters do.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

Gotcha! It did seem a bit out of character! See ya!

kusp8 1 year, 5 months ago

There's got to more to this story.

overthemoon 1 year, 5 months ago

Perhaps the driver had a medical problem. I saw an incident like this once on k10---nothing was hit and no one was hurt when the truck suddenly went out of control, crossed the median, slipped by oncoming traffic, crashed thru the fence and ended up well into the field. The cause was the driver had an epileptic blackout.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 1 year, 5 months ago

Buckjennings rejects all excuses. If he had a seizure, then he should have had one in such a way that he could maintain control of his truck!!

overthemoon 1 year, 5 months ago

But another crazy headline. Vehicles don't lose control.

Kirk Larson 1 year, 5 months ago

Can't wait for when fate catches up with BJ and he's all "But...but...but". Yes, you should be careful and deliberate. You should maintain your vehicle and drive defensively. But, despite one's best efforts and intentions, the plain fact is sometimes POOP happens.

jafs 1 year, 5 months ago

Of course that's true.

But it's also true that the vast majority of these kinds of accidents are preventable, and caused by stupid or negligent acts on the part of the driver - at least the ones I read about in this paper almost daily.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 5 months ago

Maybe the house jumped out in front of the truck, making the house at fault. I'm surprised no one has yet suggested that obvious answer.

mom_of_three 1 year, 5 months ago

very lucky he didn't hit anyone while crossing the eastbound lanes. It could have been much worse. Yes, he could have had medical problems, but you would have thought they would have mentioned it, because medical problems might need an ambulance, especially after you hit a house.

mom_of_three 1 year, 5 months ago

I dont think I excused his actions at all. And no one said the woman who crossed 23rd street had it coming. But some of us agreed that she did break the law by crossing into traffic, and that cars and only do so much when someone walks out in front of them, especially if a bus is involved.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 5 months ago

Was this vehicle traveling at 151 mph?

jellybeanies 1 year, 5 months ago

It doesn't really matter if it was an "accident" or not. The driver is liable. This is a simple principle that I teach my kids. Intent doesn't always matter. If you bring harm to someone or their property, you should have to face the consequences.

Armored_One 1 year, 5 months ago

No, I don't know exactly what happened. Point of fact, No One on this forum knows, although apparently buckjennings is omniscient and knows exactly what happened.

Since I see no pictures of the vehicle itself, although I admit I am not overly interested in hunting for them, could it be that his tire popped, which would make it difficult to control?

Could it be that he was texting and simply lost control and panicked?

Could it be that no one knows what was going on and we will likely hear more about it in a future article, given the history of the JW returning to a story at a later date with a more complete picture of what happened?

I am glad, however, that we have people like buckjennings in our neck of the woods. With his lightening reflexes and infailable ability to control every situation with the utmost finesse, we won't have to worry about him having an accident. However, since buck apparently doesn't suffer from accidents, everything that does happen in his/her life MUST be deliberate.

Bu, as I said, I'll just wait for more information to be presented before deciding if this was just one of those excrement occurs moments or if it was a fine example of rampaging stupidity having consequences for more than the fool that caused the issue. I do, however, have a great deal of sympathy for the family that was displaced by this, regardless of the cause.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

Do you seriously believe that a home can be built (at a reasonable cost) that can be driven into by a full sized truck and still be habitable?

If that's the case, tornado shelters won't be necessary.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

Become an architect, you're onto some new ideas that are far beyond cutting edge.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

^^Ron Holzwarth 3 hours, 48 minutes ago

---Ron, I kne about this, much more than CA doing this. but you serious??? $75K???

that's a lot of money for one big rock!

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes, I am serious, and I was very surprised at the price myself. They often use monstrous sized boulders, maybe 20 - 25 feet across. Here in Kansas, they would be much more expensive, because they would probably have to be trucked in from hundred of miles away, since we don't have a local source for boulders of that size. I suppose Colorado would be the place to bring them from, and an overloaded semi with an escort front and rear for that distance would be very expensive. The best bet here would be a "fake boulder" poured on site made of colored concrete.

They are delivered by overloaded semi, one that is say, 15 feet across would be much cheaper. A larger one is a status symbol, and in California, that's what it's all about - status. That, and stopping cars that leave the roadway around a curve.

Needless to say, that is something for only the very rich.

The reason I heard about the prices to such an exacting level was that my sister and her husband had a swimming pool renovated in their back yard, and they wanted boulders, as at least one of their friends had done, for something like $75,000. It was a decoration for the swimming pool, not for protection from automobiles, which was not necessary for their home. It was very nice, I especially liked the "fake beach".

But they wanted a few smaller ones. But after getting bids, they realized that the cost was way out of line, so they went for "fake boulders", which stained and eroded very quickly, much to their disappointment. Later, they wished they had a few real boulders trucked in, but today it doesn't matter, because they don't live there anymore anyway.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 5 months ago

Is that why Fritzel has them in front of his house?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 5 months ago

and Thuja, I'm far from the only poster here expressing frustration about BJ on this thread, just I brought in some of his topics from other previous annoying threads. remember, we don't live in a buble, and one day follows another. now, try to calm down and take another breath. you'll be allright.

Jacob Pool 1 year, 5 months ago

You guys all have ideas of what to do in this accident but I am sure in a moment of crossing the median of a highway you would shut or engine off while going into oncoming traffic! Some people... Just never gets old

LA_Ex 1 year, 5 months ago

If you can't figure out how to properly operate a vehicle even in an emergency, you shouldn't be driving. It is YOUR responsibility to know your limits and how to operate YOUR vehicle safely. Driving is a privilege and not a right. Then again, these are things that I feel should be taught to ALL new drivers. If we had proper driver's education and training in the country, we wouldn't have so many idiot drivers.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 5 months ago

I tend to think I would attempt to twist the steering wheel to stay in my lane, like the time one of my tires suddenly blew out. The car suddenly fell a bit, and suddenly changed direction. All it took to correct the situation was a quick turn to stay in my lane, and DO NOT slam on the brakes, instead slow gently, then pull onto the shoulder of the Interstate and change the tire.

It was no big deal, and I was sure glad I was the one driving the car.

dhardee1 1 year, 5 months ago

Hello, I'm the owner of the house so I thought I would weigh in. The driver did not have a mechanical failure and did not have a seizure or other medical problem. The vague excuse he gave was "I lost control of my vehicle." I will let the police decide if this is a reasonable excuse while driving in a straight line with a posted speed limit of 45 mph on roads that were in good condition. (I drove on them and they were in fine condition by the end of the morning.) I'm trying not to be bitter, but the more I think about it the less it makes sense to me.

Anyways, my point is people have accidents on K-10 all the time for a variety of reasons. I am planning on soon organizing a petition to request trees planted or at least a wire barrier put on the side of K-10 to protect the homes and businesses that are alongside it. I will post again on this thread when I start this process and would appreciate help in this since it seems that a lot of people feel strongly about the situation like I do. Thanks everyone.