Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, February 16, 2013

40 years ago: Mass Street home suffers extensive damage in blaze

February 16, 2013

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Feb. 16, 1973:

  • According to Lawrence firemen, either an electric cord or an auxiliary electric heater was to blame for a fire that had caused heavy damage to a house this week. Damage to the home at 1905 Massachusetts was estimated at $3,500, with an additional $2,000 estimated for damage to the contents, but owner Norman Edmonds said that the final totals "would be much more than that." According to his description, the blaze had gutted a downstairs bedroom, a hallway, and a living room, with heavy smoke damage upstairs. The two-story frame structure had been occupied at the time by four Kansas University students.
  • A color TV set had been taken during an overnight break-in this week at the Wakarusa Valley School, about five miles southwest of Lawrence. The Douglas County Sheriff's Department reported that a window in a door had been broken to gain entrance.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.