Archive for Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Suspect in custody after Lawrence couple confronts burglar

February 13, 2013

A 23-year-old Lawrence man has been arrested on suspicion of aggravated burglary after residents confronted an intruder in their home early Monday morning.

Jacob Emmanuel Keeling was arrested Tuesday afternoon at his home in the 1600 block of Haskell Avenue, after police identified him as a suspect in a burglary reported to police about 5:30 a.m. Monday at a home in the 1700 block of Louisiana Street, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman.

Jacob Emmanuel Keeling

Jacob Emmanuel Keeling

Residents there said they were awakened by a loud noise and found a man in one of their downstairs bedrooms. The residents told police they confronted the burglar and pursued him a short distance as he fled. Officers determined the burglar had entered the home by breaking a window on the rear porch and had stolen several items.

Physical evidence at the scene led police to identify Keeling as a suspect, McKinley said.

Keeling was paroled from a Kansas prison in July 2011, after serving a 15-month sentence for a burglary conviction in Shawnee County. He remained in Douglas County Jail Wednesday, but has not yet been charged. Bond has not yet been set.

• To view recent LJWorld crime stories, click here.

Click here to view the weekly arrest log.

Comments

Currahee 1 year, 9 months ago

Before you blame society for your failings, look into the mirror and realize you have only yourself to blame.

rlmtyco 1 year, 9 months ago

part of this story doesnt make sense. 23 yr old suspect/paroled from a kansas prison in 2001. Was he serving in prison when he was 12?

frankfussman 1 year, 9 months ago

...maybe it should be 2011, not 2001...

progressive_thinker 1 year, 9 months ago

The DOC website shows that he was in custody or on supervision from April 2010 to August 2012. http://165.201.143.205/kasper2/offender.asp?id=66348

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, that should be 2011. I fixed that, thanks. Ian LJW

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

Glad to know we're providing subsidized housing for such fine upstanding citizens.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

His arrest says nothing about subsidized housing as most people who need that assistance are good people. They do ask on a form if you have ever been convicted of a felony or on the run from the law.

I worked with a disabilities advocate some years ago and we had to ask the same questions for our forms. Like someone was going to say, yes, I am a felon, I escaped from prison and need some cash to lay low for a while. Right.

Background check?

John Hamm 1 year, 9 months ago

But his address pinpoints the location as subsidized housing.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

Okay, now I get it, (face slap), I know that 1600 Haskell is SH but I thought you were saying that everyone who lives there is a criminal. By the rules he should never have been living there, looks like he sneaked in under the radar.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 1 year, 9 months ago

Did he drop his driver's license? Whatever "evidence" it was, it sure didn't take them long to find this guy.

57chevy 1 year, 9 months ago

I bet he moved here to avoid long (15month) prison sentences like they give in Shawnee county. He will likely be out and about in a week or two with our county attorney. The only crimes punished in Douglas county are potsmoking and bad check writing. Minor criminal offenses like breaking into someone's home in the middle of the night while they are present barely rise to the level of criminal activity in Lawrence. The police barely even show up to investigate (though they did get this guy) and, when they do catch them its seems to be a lot like catch and release trout fishing with our current couinty attorney. Vote accordingly.

krn 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh Ian, surely you meant "they were awakened," not "they were awoken"? Surely.

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 9 months ago

Actually, either word is correct. Thanks, Ian LJW

Bob Forer 1 year, 9 months ago

Jacob, I would advise you to wipe that silly smirk off your face for your next mug shot. I know momma's gotta eat, but breaking into an occupied dwelling is not the way to make a living. You're obviously not very good at it, or you wouldn't have gotten caught.

skinny 1 year, 9 months ago

It is public information and most newspapers report it!

08Champs 1 year, 9 months ago

Was at the intersection of 15th & Haskell when the police were headed to his house for the arrest I think. There was a police car with it's passenger side smashed in blocking traffic, but haven't heard anything about that? Just curious...

TheBigW 1 year, 9 months ago

Too bad it wasn't my house.... there would only have been a plastic bag needed and clean up crew.

parrothead8 1 year, 9 months ago

Because death is the appropriate punishment for stealing?

otto 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, maybe smoke a few and the others will think twice.

TheBigW 1 year, 9 months ago

skinny 1 year, 9 months ago

He wouldn't have made it out of my house alive either!!

Serenity Walters 1 year, 9 months ago

I live in Edgewood and I can tell you that the office didn't know he lived there. I think people were to afraid to tell.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

Whomever let him live with them at Edgewood will be getting an eviction notice soon. If you accept free or reduced housing, play by the rules.

Russell Fryberger 1 year, 9 months ago

Obviously he needs another profession, he keeps getting caught. Keep him in prison until he either learns to read or becomes a reverend. The latter is more likely.

Centerville 1 year, 9 months ago

Look forward to the morning that Mr. Keeling breaks into a random, occupied home and loses that smirk.

poppet 1 year, 9 months ago

This guy was in custody! back during the first of December. Someone broke into my house by busting out a window, i caught him trying to get in, called police and they sent 8 patrol cars to the neighborhood. Someone else close by called in supicious activity and they caught this guy and he was in jail that day. I could not positively identify him as the person at my house but he was arrested for break-ins a few blocks away. I never knew what happened but obviously he wasnt charged or ?. Needless to say, it was very disturbing to read this in the paper this morning. I will be calling the da's office (referred by lpd) to hopefully keep tabs on this case. It doesnt make sense to me that someone paroled for a burglary conviction and was in custody for more breakins is back out committing the same crimes - will he be again?

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 9 months ago

Is is really a good idea to confront an intruder and then chase him down the street?