Letters to the Editor

Letter: Honestly?

December 10, 2013

To the editor:

In response to the Dec. 7 Saturday Column on honesty.

What should Lawrencians think when the editor of the local newspaper does not tell the truth?

What should the community leaders think when the editor of the local newspaper does not tell the truth?

How can a person have confidence or certainty that he or she is being told the truth on other matters and issues?

When the editor’s commentaries are filled with rhetoric, distortions, deceitful analysis and political bias, what are we to think? Shouldn’t the No. 1 priority of any responsible journalist be to tell the truth?

Editor Simons, when you point your accusing finger at my president, note that three fingers are pointing back at you, and your commentaries are at least as egregious as what you are accusing my president of doing.

Yes, Mr. Editor, I do expect the present leader of my political party to do all that he can to elect Democrats to the House and the Senate and to appoint Supreme Court Justices who have integrity and competence. Isn’t that what you would want the leader of your political party to do?

I suspect what the editor really fears regarding the Affordable Care Act is that it will succeed and that the great majority of Americans will approve of affordable, quality health care and the economic security that will follow, despite all of the efforts by his political party to undermine the law with a substantial absence of truth-telling.

I am not comfortable with you, Editor Simons, adjudicating the honesty of my president, given your relationship with truth telling. And certainly re-adjudicating, again, old business does not get us very far. I think what we have here is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

So, I ask, “On a scale of relative importance, how important is honesty for” journalists?

Comments

Steve Bunch 4 months, 1 week ago

Actually, the kettle IS black, which is why all the pots have been up in arms these last several years.

Elston Gunn 4 months, 1 week ago

Obama is my president, too. Unfortunately, the past 4 elections I've had to vote for the lesser of the idiots. I would never vote for Al Gore, John Kerry, John McCain, or Mitt Romney. Obama is cool. I would hang out with him. But I'm not sure I want a buddy for a president, and I think even he knows the ACA is a mistake. I've always had insurance through employers. I always had a plan that at least covered part of a doctor visit. Now I'm uninsured even though I'm working. I refuse to pay the premium for insurance I can't use because the deductible is so high. The author of this letter reminds me of the skeevy professor played by Donald Sutherland in Animal House.

Leslie Swearingen 4 months, 1 week ago

An editorial is the opinion of the editor. It is not meant, nor was it ever meant, to be factural reporting. There are several places in the paper where opinions may be published.

Keith Richards 4 months, 1 week ago

Dennis,

Take off your Obama knee pads and accept that you voted for a liar. It's individual like Dennis who stand behind their vote regardless of how bad their choice turned out to be that keeps are system full of elected liars. The more individuals stand behind their corrupt party leaders, the less likely things will change. When people like Dennis want to keep heaping accolades on a poor leader, why would either party have to make a change in their deceitful ways? Until all party line toters starts calling out their party leaders, being angry for lying and cheating us, nothing will change. Take off your blinders and make a difference in our currently corrupt and morally bankrupt party system.

Rob Chestnut 4 months, 1 week ago

The source of reporting is not relevant in this situation. The administration does have an accountability to reconcile statements made by President Obama that turned out to be untrue. Unfortunately, neither plausible scenario is a good one.

If the administration did not understand the impact of its own legislation, that is not a good scenario. If the administration did understand the impact and chose to communicate something that was technically true but misleading, that is not a good scenario.

I am not sure if this has been done adequately.

Julius Nolan 4 months, 1 week ago

Think Mr Dailey has done an excellent job of showing exactly what Mr Simons agenda is. And it definitely is an agenda, no matter what Obama does, he will oppose it.

Bob Smith 4 months, 1 week ago

Considering how many media outlets have participated in hiding the problems with the current regime, I'd say that honesty takes a back seat to advancing the agenda with many journalists. BTW, has Dolph caused your health insurance to be cancelled lately?