Advertisement

Archive for Monday, December 9, 2013

40 years ago: Camping trailer explodes in North Lawrence

December 9, 2013

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 9, 1973:

Two early-morning fires were reported this week, one involving a visitor to Lawrence. Gary Spratz, 20, Angola, New York, suffered face and hand burns in an explosion and fire in a camping trailer parked at the KOA Campgrounds on Rt. 3 in Lawrence. Neighbors who heard the explosion had then seen Spratz outside the trailer and had called firemen. Spratz told responders that he had been using a butane cook stove to heat the trailer, but it had gone out, and the stove had exploded when he had attempted to relight it. The trailer had been destroyed in the blast and fire, and a small dog belonging to Spratz had been killed. The other early fire had been reported at the auto body shop BB & W Custom Works on North Second Street and had started at one end of the building near a natural gas heater. Five cars in the shop had suffered smoke and heat damage.

Several Lawrence High School music students were shown in a Journal-World photograph today as they unloaded the first shipment of grapefruit they were selling to raise money for the annual spring LHS Good Will tours. LHS music teacher Larry Williams said 1,800 orders for fruit had been received, and another truckload was expected next week. About 200 students in the LHS band, orchestra, and A Cappella choir were participating in the sale.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.