Lawrence Habitat for Humanity works with low-income families to give them the opportunity to own their own home. Building up to six houses per year requires very careful attention to the details of managing a large budget. The Finance committee oversees that budget, including all disbursements and income. Habitat is looking for volunteers with banking or finance experience to serve on the finance committee. To volunteer, please contact Marc Jasperson at email@example.com or at 785-832-0777.
• Lawrence Memorial Hospital is looking for energetic and compassionate people who are willing to be a part of the caring team of healthcare providers at LMH. Several volunteer opportunities are available with Lawrence Memorial Hospital. At the main hospital, volunteers are needed in the following areas: greeters, escort volunteers, lead escort volunteer, endoscopy center reception, Fit for Life program, gift shop, information desk, Mario’s Closet, oncology, Wayfinders and the admission desk. At LMH South, volunteers are needed at the breast center. For more information, please contact Alyson Leland at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 505-3141.
• The Windsor of Lawrence Assisted Living and Memory Care strives to give quality of life to Seniors and provide them with a safe and fun living environment. A variety of daily activities are offered to the residents. Volunteers are needed to participate with the daily social activities of the residents, such as reading, playing games, gardening, and sing-alongs. Please contact Suzy Jach at email@example.com at 785-727-0492.
• Independence, Inc. strives to maximize independence for people with disabilities through advocacy, training and transportation. The agency is looking for a volunteer in Lecompton to assist an individual with a disability with his lawn care. This opportunity is for one-time lawn care, and the volunteer will not be expected to provide ongoing services unless they are interested. All equipment (lawn mower, etc.) will need to be provided by the volunteer. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or at 785-841-0333.
• The City of Lawrence is gearing up for its annual pedestrian and bicyclist count in Lawrence, Eudora and Baldwin City. Data collected on bicycling and walking will assist City and Regional Leaders with estimating usage and demand for bicycle and pedestrian facilities. The counts will also be used to track the region’s progress on increasing the use of non-motorized transportation, strengthen grant applications to leverage additional federal funding for bicycle and pedestrian projects, evaluate existing projects, and help determine the location of future investments. Volunteers are needed to manually count pedestrians and bicyclist. New volunteers will need to attend a mandatory training session prior to their scheduled count day. Training sessions are available either Aug. 28, Sept. 5, 9 or 10. Count days are Sept. 11 and 14. For more information, please contact Jessica Mortinger at email@example.com or at 785-832-3165.
• The Girl Scouts of Northeast Kansas strive to provide opportunities to girls and young women that help build courage, confidence, and character. Volunteers are needed to serve as troop leaders for girls in grades K-12. Volunteers may apply online at http://www.gsksmo.org and pass a background check. Please contact Andrea Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 816-759-3012.
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Douglas County provides one-to-one relationships for children facing adversity. A “Big Sister is needed for an 8-year-old girl who is easy to get to know, is bubbly and has lots of energy. She loves to read, ride bikes, go to the park, cook, do arts/crafts and loves to dance. She would match well with a confident college student or a professional woman looking for a chance to reconnect with her inner child. To become a “Big” for this 8-year-old girl, please contact Stacie Salverson-Schroeder at 785-843-7359, ext. 112, or at email@example.com.
— For more volunteer opportunities, contact Shelly Hornbaker at the United Way’s Roger Hill Volunteer Center, at 785-865-5030 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to www.volunteerdouglascounty.org.