Archive for Sunday, August 25, 2013

100 years ago: Jacob House, oldest clothing merchant in Kansas, dies at 80

August 25, 2013


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Aug. 25, 1913:

  • "Jacob House, the oldest clothing merchant in the State of Kansas, died here this morning at his home, 701 Tennessee street. Mr. House was eighty years old on last Monday, just one week ago today. For several weeks he has been ailing and there was little hope for his recovery. Several weeks ago Mr. House was stricken with paralysis and was unable to leave his bed after that. However, up until that time he had been at his store regularly every day. His business was established in Lawrence in 1862 and for fifty-one years Mr. House personally looked after this. He was well known and highly respected as a business man and as a good citizen.... Jacob House came to Lawrence and established the clothing business which is known today as J. House and Son, conducted at 729 Massachusetts street. He erected a building and the present store occupied the same building. Mr. House had been here but one year when Quantrell and his band raided and burned the town.... Mr. House had a thrilling experience at the time of the raid. He was sleeping in his store in the room first south of where the House store is today and being awakened by the raiders and seeing no way of escape, hid under the couch upon which he was sleeping. As soon as the raiders entered the building they took him prisoner and by some peculiar whim of the leader of that particular band he was kept as a prisoner and guide all day. He was forced to show them from place to place and everywhere he saw the dead bodies of his friends and acquaintances. At the close of the day he was permitted to remain at the house where he boarded but in a few minutes his life was threatened, but fortunately the leader with whom he had been heard the cries of the women and returned to protect him.... No man in Lawrence stood higher in the esteem of the public than did Jacob House. He came here at an early day and he helped in the building of the Lawrence of today. He worked long and hard at his business and he made friends. He was a man of even temper, good judgment and kindly manner and his death causes much sorrow in Lawrence."
  • "Monday, September 15 -- Registration. Wednesday, September 17. -- First Chapel. And then the year of 1913-14 will have begun at the University of Kansas. A slightly earlier opening than the average at Mount Oread and much earlier than many a vacationing student would prefer. But the order has gone forth and on the fifteenth of September it behooves Kansas boys and girls who would toil on the hill this winter to be in line waiting for an audience with George O. Foster. Even now the Hon. George O. Foster sees them waiting before him. He sees a long line of the flower of Kansas youth, he recognizes many familiar faces and there he sees a vast number of new ones. Then he begins to count, it is a long tedious task but as the numbers mount up into the hundreds, past the thousand, then two thousand and another half a thousand, the look of care gives way to an expression of delight and satisfaction. He counts on.... Yes, it must be so, the registration will be larger this year than ever.... 'More students on the hill than ever before.' Mr. Foster is confident of this and has made the statement many times this summer.... And this in spite of the drouth and consequent loss to crops in the state. Kansas fathers and mothers are not gong to let a mere crop shortage keep their sons and daughters away from school, is the belief of the registrar."


Sarah St. John 4 years, 9 months ago

Hmmmm, I thought that would make a thumbnail, not just a link. Oh well, it's safe to click on -- it's just a picture of the House building downtown!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.