Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Police planning DUI checkpoint in Lawrence Friday night

August 19, 2013

Lawrence police plan a DUI checkpoint somewhere in Lawrence Friday night as part of a statewide drunken-driving enforcement campaign.

Police declined to say where the checkpoint will be, but it will operate from 11 p.m. Friday to 3 a.m. Saturday morning, according to a news release from the Lawrence Police Department. Officers will stop and check drivers to determine if they are driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol.

The associated overtime costs from the enforcement will be paid through a grant from the Kansas Department of Transportation, which is also sponsoring efforts across the state by local law enforcement agencies and the Kansas Highway Patrol. That effort, billed as the "You Drink. You Drive. You Lose." campaign, will continue until Sept. 2.

In Kansas, an average of nearly five people are injured every day, and one person is killed every three days, in alcohol-related crashes, according to KDOT. Convictions for driving under the influence can bring penalties of up to one year in jail, suspension of driving privileges, and fines of up to $2,500, along with mandatory installation of ignition interlock devices on the offender's vehicle.

Comments

Missingit 7 months, 4 weeks ago

You would have to make the Caroll v US no longer valid as well.

Missingit 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I understand the SCOTUS make rulings on all sort of legal challenges. The arugments I have read so far seem to be predicatde on driving being a right. Which it is not and if it is please inform me how you see it as a right? Just so I am educated on your side? When you get your driver's license you sign saying your driver's license is not a right. If it was a right of every citizen, then we could have 5 or 6 year olds driving, since it is their right as well. We could drive any car, since it is your right to drive any wreck you want on the road with no regard for other people. You would have to make cars legally homes and not a means for conveyance.

Missingit 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Then find the check point. Park your car. Get drunk. Drive into the check point. Get arrested. Go thru District Court, Kansas Appeals Court and ask the Supreme Court to take your case. Then you can come back and blog about your victory and I will say congrats. Till then they are legal unless 5 of you bloggers are members of SCOTUS and you want this argued in front of you, again. The argument now is worthless. You are wrong. If you think this rule will change you can repeat the first several steps every year to test your hypothesis.

Steven Gaudreau 7 months, 4 weeks ago

"We'll see how smart you are when the k-9's come." I get 99 problem and the LPD ain't one.

Missingit 7 months, 4 weeks ago

My one question is if these are unconstitutional why are they still being used? I am sure the Supreme Court said they were constitutional.

optimist 7 months, 4 weeks ago

This is a good example of one of those low quality police officers that buys into the belief that they are the ultimate authority. The only way to prevent such abuses is to punish this officer. I found it interesting that right before they found the camera the other officer shares a concern about the dog hitting on the car. Then the officer moves the camera. What is he hiding from. Isn't that a sign of guilt? Guess that only applies to the rest of us.

gatekeeper 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I had no idea so many people were so paranoid. I guess if you don't have anything to hide, you aren't so paranoid. If you aren't drunk and behind the wheel, they'll wave you through the check point pretty quickly.

The cops aren't trying to get into your house, take your rights away, blah blah blah. They're just trying to get some drunks off the road before they kill someone. If you haven't noticed, we live in a town that parties a lot and has lots of drunks on the road.

You should be more concerned with Brownback and the repubs and what they're trying to do to you. They're the one's really trying to take rights away, but you are easily distracted by cops trying to catch drunks driving.

AGAIN, you do not have the RIGHT to drive. It is a privilige. Sorry if you feel so threatened by these check points. Maybe you shouldn't be out late at night then when you know there will be check points. If I am out for some reason, I won't be freaked out because I won't be drunk behind the wheel.

I did watch a check point in CO a few years ago that was happening in front of a hotel I was in. It was amazing how many drunks they caught. The police were very nice to everyone, even the people they were arresting. I'm happy to have them bust the drunks that can endanger my life.

Ron Holzwarth 7 months, 4 weeks ago

One time years ago I was driving on the Interstate in Topeka at night with the front windows down. It became rather chilly in the car, the heater wasn't keeping up, and so I slowed down a bit so that there were no cars near me. Then I leaned over and rolled up the passenger window while holding the steering wheel with only one hand, but keeping a close eye on the road ahead.

Within seconds, red and blue lights began to flash behind me, so I pulled over. A very polite police officer came to my front window, so I handed him my driver's license and proof of insurance. He asked me where I had been, and where I was going.

"I just left a bar and I'm headed to a restaurant."

That was not a correct answer to the question. So he said "Just a minute," then he went back to the squad car and returned with a breathalyzer. Meanwhile, a second police officer arrived on the passenger side of my car, and began to inspect the immaculately clean interior of my car with a flashlight. For dust, I suppose.

"Will you blow into this for me, please?" the first officer asked.

I responded with, "Sure, but if it doesn't register zero, you'll have to get it recalibrated." I blew and blew into the tube, and the officer kept looking back and forth between a stopwatch and the breathalyzer. This went on far longer than I expected, and I was running out of breath.

Finally he said, "OK, you can stop now. I pulled you over because I thought I saw you swerve back and forth a little bit. Have a good evening."

Then, he returned my driver's license and proof of insurance, and we were on our way. It's a fact that some people in bars aren't drinking alcohol. And the stop was no big deal at all.

mags_and_k 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Its about removing drunk drivers from the road. What? Do they feel they are untouchable to care about putting others at risk? How difficult is it to have a designated driver, don't drink if out or stay home and chug away??? The worst thing that will happen if you are drinking and couch potatoing is trip over the cat, your business... HOWEVER... if you are drinking and then operating a motor vehicle you can take innocent lives. If you drink and drive on a regular business its merely a question of when!

The disrespect Police Officers receive is ridiculous! I suppose if you are in need of law enforcement you would sing another song! They get paid close to nothing to serve and protect. Try and forward the respect you demand for yourself and family to those serving your communities!

If they take even one drunk driver off the road it has served its purpose. Period!

akt2 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I talked with a person yesterday who had been hit by a drunk driver. I knew she was disabled but I didn't know why. She told me her story of being in ICU for weeks and then in a nursing home for 2 months and finally a rehabilitation unit. She will suffer for the rest of her life because of her body being crushed by a drunk. She showed me pictures. The one picture that she said really stood out to her was one at the scene of the wreck. Her car was mangled. The drunk's vehicle was on top of hers. The drunk was sitting on the side of the road not injured. It was his 3rd drunk driving offense. So I guess the law can't really stop a drunk that drives. They can at least get them off the road at the time of the stop if they are impaired.

optimist 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I've seen a few posts here of great concern. Several are willing to give up their liberties for what they perceive is a higher level of security. I'm glad they weren't around when brave men and women fought for the freedoms we have today, and that they so take for granted. I wonder if they would hold so little regard for those hard fought for liberties if they had shed their own blood and fortune to earn them. Protecting those liberties is the true tribute to those that gave all in defense of your liberties.

Ricky_Vaughn 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Meanwhile, TEXTING and driving runs rampant and goes widely unpunished. At least drunk drivers are looking at the road.

msezdsit 7 months, 4 weeks ago

"All this entitlement is really unjustified" right bailee, that constitution thing is no justification at all. Pretty ridiculous to consider it an "entitlement".

I got pulled over the other day and the cop told me they were doing a "saturation" thing. Thats where they take a bunch of taxpayers dollars and hire a bunch more cops so those tax payers can be harassed by the cops. I was sitting in a left turn lane waiting forever for the light to change while my turn signal was lighting up the cops face every time it blinked as he waited behind me. He told me he pulled me over because I didn't use my turn signal. It was a waste of my time, the cops time, and a waste of tax dollars. Brilliant just brilliant.

Bailee Winetroub 7 months, 4 weeks ago

If you're not driving drunk/impaired, then what’s the big deal? What are you hiding in your car? Why not answer questions? All this entitlement is really unjustified - they do these checks for a reason. I got my first and only DUI during a checkpoint and I am glad that’s how I learned rather than my horrible decisions ending up hurting myself or even worse, someone else. In a recent DUI checkpoint in Kansas City they found that 1 in 20 drivers were impaired – now THAT’S what’s scary, not the Lawrence Police.

Kyle Miller 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I realize these stops can be a very good thing to catch these people who continue to drink and drive and risk not only their own life, but innocent others. But...... the thing about these check points is the officers that are running them are more than less the pots calling the kettles black. I on NUMEROUS occasions have witnessed officers, yes, your local LPD officers get behind the wheel of a vehicle and drive home so drunk they could hardly walk. Whether it be from Bowling Leagues they were in, a week night softball game at Clinton Lake, Golf Tournaments, etc. I have seen it all. Its "ok" for them to do it becasue they are LEO's! I just find it very hypocritical is all!

broddie 7 months, 4 weeks ago

you can tell police that they can't search your car but they can take you in if they think you're impaired.

There's nothing in the constitution that guarantees your right to drive.

Dan Eyler 7 months, 4 weeks ago

providing you haven't committed a crime, make it very clear to the police that you will not allow any search of your vehicle. Resist these illegal stops and searches. Respectfully inform the police to kiss your A##.

horseshoehalo1 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Or...Just don't Drink and Drive...and dont give the LEO a hard time. Then you will be on your way.

evildonut 7 months, 4 weeks ago

You don't need to answer their questions at all. just roll down your window five or six inches, present your id and be on your way. Record everything.