Archive for Thursday, August 15, 2013

Editorial: Gun study

The Kansas Board of Regents should join other government entities in seeking reconsideration of a new law that will allow concealed guns in most public buildings.

August 15, 2013

It’s difficult to discern what the Kansas Board of Regents hopes to accomplish with its “in-study depth” of how the new state law allowing concealed carry of handguns will affect higher education institutions.

The regents discussed the issue at Valley Falls during their annual retreat Tuesday. Chairman Fred Logan said the regents need to study if there are areas on campuses where concealed carry shouldn’t be allowed, such as at athletic events or in classrooms or certain laboratories.

The new law allows licensed concealed carry on public college campuses. The board had opposed this expansion of permission to carry handguns, but to no avail with the Legislature. The schools have taken advantage of an immediate six-month exemption.

So have many cities and counties around the state. And there’s a provision for extending the exemption for four years.

But, again, what do the regents hope to accomplish with their study? Are they intending to look individually at 850 or more buildings on campuses and then propose to try to declare them, one by one, open or closed to pistol-packing individuals? What a nightmare that would pose to law enforcement, as well as licensed gun-holders!

The regents themselves seem a bit split on the entire concealed-carry philosophy, with some apparently willing to allow handguns in classrooms but perhaps not in arenas and stadiums where crowds gather for sports.

Tempers, they should be reminded, can run high in any area, classroom, laboratory, office or fieldhouse.

Rather than trying to manage this difficult law, the regents should, uh, stick to their guns and join other institutions in lobbying the Legislature to reconsider the measure. Those under the capitol dome should acknowledge they’ve made a mess and get busy cleaning it up.

As Regent Ed McKechnie said, “Just because the Legislature has done something wrong, I don’t know that I want to go along with that.”

Comments

Larry Moss 8 months ago

But, you see Ed, the people spoke through the process. Lots of people don't like the law but, more do. So, get going on putting it into place as fast is practical. We all have to do things we don't agree with or like.

Steven Gaudreau 8 months ago

I would like to see how many illegal guns are currently being brought into these places now.

Lynn731 8 months ago

Self control is the important issue here. One of the first things peace officers learn is self control, which is one of the key factors in making professionals. The same self control should be demanded of concealed carry permit holders. I am certain this is taught in the abbreviated class they must attend. I think the class work should be expanded, and they must re-qualify each time they are renewing their permit. A psychological test should be required as well. These people are carrying a deadly weapon. Peace officers, and certain retired peace officers, can carry nationwide under a federal law. The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA). To carry under this act, one must obey all local, state, and national laws. Retired peace officers must qualify yearly, shooting the same course of fire full time officers shoot. The office or department the officers retire from must support LEOSA, it is not automatic. This act provides numbers of retired, trained officers to the public for free. As a retired peace officer I strongly support, and worked toward passage of, the KS concealed permit law. I think it should be enhanced with the suggestions above.

Garth Atchison 8 months ago

You should be able to tell people to keep their guns outside. Period. Whether anyone complies is a separate issue.

Karl_Hungus 8 months ago

People want to take their little guns with them no matter where they go, fine but all guns will have a breathalyzer device attached to ensure that the operator(s) are neither drunk nor on drugs because I will feell very unsafe having a bunch of drunk angry people at a KU game packing their little heat!!!

Epic FAIL!!!!

Brock Masters 8 months ago

I think a key piece of data needed is the percent of attendees who currently attend with a gun and an estimate of the number of attendees that will attend with a gun if CC holders are allowed to bring guns.

For example, if 10% of attendees currently are armed and the new law will increase that number to 10.01% then it is unlikely that the law will have any impact.

I think people assume that these are truly gun free zones now but they aren't. People bring guns to events when there is no security in place to prevent them.

crimsonorblue22 8 months ago

No, I haven't, but I read about people that do that. Remember the ISU game when the fan came at Coach Self?

coebam 8 months ago

Is the arguement "tempers can run high at sporting events, classrooms, and labs" really valid? I mean have you ever been so mad you wanted to kill someone over a ballgame, a bad grade (that would your own fault) or a simple disagreement? I think this entire study is a waste of time and resources.

Dont_Tread_On_Me 8 months ago

"What a nightmare that would pose to law enforcement, as well as licensed gun-holders!"

Wrong! CCer's are used to checking every building they enter to make sure they are legal. The approved signage has to be on the outside of all entry doors and in easy to see locations. So, not a nightmare at all for CCer's - just more of the same.

kansas45 8 months ago

Except for the "made a mistake" comment and Mr Mckechnie's comment, I agree totally with your opinion. If they believe it was such a bad idea, work to get it changed. However, if they can't and this is what the majority of the people want, than stop with the attitude of no way and work on a way. I see both points of the issue, but the name calling, holier than thou "I know best" attitude of those who disagree with it really irk me. More and more remind me of Jackson and Sharpton who can only complain and never offer solutions. Maybe that was why the exemption times were written into the law, to work out the kinks and let feelings cool down. Start working with the system to change something instead of complaining how stupid the system was in passing it.