Archive for Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Kansas Board of Regents indicates it will pursue in-depth study of new concealed carry law

August 13, 2013

— The Kansas Board of Regents on Tuesday indicated it would pursue an in-depth study of the recent law that will allow concealed carry of handguns on the campuses of higher education institutions.

The board had opposed expansion of concealed carry, but during the last legislative session the Legislature approved the proposal by wide margins and Gov. Sam Brownback signed it into law.

The new law allows licensed concealed carry on public college campuses, but gave schools up to a four-year reprieve from the law.

The regents have taken an immediate six-month exemption for universities, and could later file for the longer exemption, which would extend through 2017.

The regents discussed the issue during their annual retreat here on Tuesday. Chairman Fred Logan said the regents need to study if there are areas on campuses where concealed carry shouldn't be allowed, such as at athletic events or in classrooms or certain laboratories.

"It's naive to believe that any time soon we are going to go to a generalized exemption," Logan said.

But Regent Ed McKechnie said he wasn't willing to let legislators feel the board is OK with the new law. "Just because the Legislature has done something wrong, I don't know that I want to go along with that," McKechnie said.

Other regents, however, said they believed an exhaustive study of how the law will affect overall security in the more than 850 higher education buildings would be helpful if the board decides to seek future exemptions in specific areas.

For instance, Regent Robba Moran said that while she supports gun rights, she didn't think it was wise to allow concealed carry at athletic events.

Comments

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 4 months ago

This is a ridiculous comedy.

""At the sporting venue, you have tempers flaring and you have alcohol and that is different than a classroom," Moran said."

And this from someone arguing against the measure. Yes, weapons are fine in the classroom, just not in Allen Fieldhouse. Has she ever heard of students disgruntled over bad grades?

This whole episode is just a ridiculous travesty put on by the childish and petulant Kansas legislature. It flies in the face of all common sense, reason and moderation, and is only beholden to gun rights ideology at all costs.

Bud Stagg 1 year, 4 months ago

The travesty is caused by childish and petulant people who bring guns to class, work, restaurant, etc unlawfully. When you can guarantee that no one in the place has a gun, I'll leave mine at home. When you can get all the guns off the streets (probably never) I'll give mine up.

skull 1 year, 4 months ago

Then round 'em all up. Statistics show that citizens in gun free countries are BY FAR safer from gun violence, and that's what this is all about right...safety?

UfoPilot 1 year, 4 months ago

But FAR more likely to encounter violence. You're cherry picking your facts.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm curious. How many times have you encountered an armed person intent on doing bad things?

And, if ever, what did you do? Did you shoot them?

question4u 1 year, 4 months ago

It's high time! The armed robberies in English Lit classes at Kansas universities have gotten way out of hand. The assaults in upper-division physics classes are excessive too, but the worst is Intro to Accounting. They say that you only have a 50% chance of survival once you set foot in the classroom door. It's amazing that anyone actually made it through four years of attending college in Kansas.

Maracas 1 year, 4 months ago

When college students get into trouble downtown or elsewhere, we say, "oh, they're just kids doing dumb stuff. Remember when you were a dumb kid"? And now we want to let these same "kids" carry guns around campus. Yeah, that's smart.

Maggie Morrissey 1 year, 4 months ago

The same statistic applies accross the board, all situations and all ages. There is bad statistics and good. Not all kids are dumb and do dumb things, not all adults do smart things, not every registered gun owner would use it irresposibly...or responsibly for that matter.

I was robbed at gun point and shot. I didn't have a gun so I cursed and tinkled. He had ALL the power because he was the only one armed. Wonder how it would have gone down if it was a "fair fight"??? Both dead? I dunno. I bet there is a statistic that would outline my "odds of survival" Doesn't mean a thing, its the situation, the involved individuals and how they are feeling and reacting at that moment, Period.

Conceled weapons on campus??? You gotta be kiddin me! Never in my life have I had a vision of my growing up to be a Phoenix but if it comes to concealed weapons on campus, our Rock Chalk dreams are "shot" to hell!

skull 1 year, 4 months ago

The funny part to me is that the students and campus employees don't seem to want concealed carry, only a loud and persistent faction of society that probably has spent very little, if any, time on a university campus.

Sam Crow 1 year, 4 months ago

So you imply all campus employees and students over age 21 dont want concealed carry. I would assume those people dont have permits then. If that is the case there would be very very few actual people carrying guns. Incidently, with all my degrees, I spent 7 years on the hill.

skull 1 year, 4 months ago

I too spent 7 years at KU, although yours must have been much more privileged than mine, I spent most of my time working to pay rent and eat, not worrying about who was packing. Ironically though, in all those seven years, I never once was witness to an incident in which a gun would have been even slightly useful, but many in which it would have been highly detrimental.

Be that as it may, since there has been no real support on campus for cch, and every governing body that has been elected or appointed to serve in the interests of Kansas universities has opposed its forced implementation, I could safely say that the general consensus is against guns on campus, legal or otherwise. That being said, no, I do NOT "imply that all campus employees and students over age 21 dont want concealed carry." I'm sure there are a few people afraid enough of the big scary world out there to think they feel the need to have a gun in their pants all the time.

Sam Crow 1 year, 4 months ago

With the change in the law, I still would not worry about who was packing. It would only allow people with permits, over the age of 21 and checked, to carry.

Jonathan Fox 1 year, 4 months ago

Actually, while I can't speak for KU, I know that Pittsburg State University students and faculty voted in a campus wide survey and a majority were in favor of allowing concealed carry on campus.

laughingatallofu 1 year, 4 months ago

Gotta love this year's batch of Kansas legislators -- the dumbest, most ignorant, bunch of yahoos that a group of people could elect (save for Texas and North Carolina). Yes, Kansas, we deserve who we vote for.

Peacemaker452 1 year, 4 months ago

I will take that bet.

What do you want the stakes to be?

Get them to take an IQ test and we can examine the results.

Since you claim they are all “quantifiably dumb and ignorant” we can set the line at an IQ of 79 or less since this equates to those who fall below the average guidelines. I will even throw you a bone and bet that more than 75% of the state legislators are above the cutoff.

So put your money where your mouth is and get busy on those tests.

BTW, educated and intelligent are in no way related, as so many people on this forum prove every time they post.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, the cutoff for developmental disability is 70.

So, it's hard to believe that 79 is average - or, to put it another way, if that's correct, then average means not very bright.

According to a quick search, average IQ is 90-110. So, 79 would be clearly below average by a significant amount.

Peacemaker452 1 year, 4 months ago

The charts that I referenced showed 80 as the bottom of “low average” so I picked 79 as “below the average guidelines”.

I know, it is from Wikipedia, but the info is clearly referenced and shows multiple charts that show the ranges.

Just to be fair, in light of what you found as “average IQ”, I am willing to modify my statement to say that at least 75% are above and IQ of 90.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

Actually, 79 is borderline dd (intellectual).

I'd be interested in whether or not you're right about that - I hope you are, but fear that you're not.

Bud Stagg 1 year, 4 months ago

The point is, we are not letting them do it now, but they are. I bet if you set up a random metal detectors on campus and ran everyone through them, you would get hundreds of guns that are there illegally. You just don't want to face that fact.

Allowing people to conceal carry only allows people that are more responsible and who have gotten their license to carry on campus. The bad/crazy people with guns will still be there too.

skull 1 year, 4 months ago

I love your "fact" of "hundreds of guns." It seems much more like a supposition. I bet if they did put metal detectors out you would complain about government waste, and that when they didn't find "hundreds of guns that are there illegally," you would find some bs reason why your fears aren't unfounded.

Bud Stagg 1 year, 4 months ago

Guns are cool and I do enjoy shooting them. That is not why I carry. Why are you even fighting this? Have you thought it through? How have the gun bans worked so far at the tragedies at movie theaters, schools, post offices etc? Most of those places are currently off limits to CCH. 99% of those events were caused by unlicensed people. How many lives lost in the past 5 years alone? In fact you would be very hard pressed to name many crimes committed by CCH holders. However you could find many crimes averted by them. How much is a life worth?

skull 1 year, 4 months ago

Gun bans have worked great in England and Australia. Maybe we should adopt that policy if you're really worried about your safety. Have you even thought that through?

UfoPilot 1 year, 4 months ago

Gun bans in England have caused non-gun violent crime to sky rocket.

mdlund0 1 year, 4 months ago

I would like to point out that the law doesn't just allow anyone to walk into a building on campus with a firearm. It only allows law abiding citizens who have taken an 8 hour training course, submitted fingerprints, and undergone an extensive background check to do so. That is the only change (and you must be 21). 2.1% of the population in Kansas falls into that category, and, while I don't have data to back up this next claim, I would bet that fewer than 5% of those people who have gone through the process actually carry a firearm with any regularity (probably even less than that). This change in the law will affect an astoundingly small number of people. It is still illegal for someone under 21 to possess a handgun. Alcohol is not served at NCAA sporting events (although it may be present in reality). It is still illegal to carry a concealed firearm under the influence of alcohol, permit or not. It is still illegal to threaten/harm your professor because you got a bad grade. Quite simply, every nightmare scenario proposed that was illegal is still illegal. Regardless of this law, a disgruntled student could still get their hands on a firearm, drink bottle of tequila in the football stadium parking lot, get upset about KU's inevitable loss to Oklahoma, and do something horrible. Several laws will still have been broken - the same ones that would have been broken before with absolutely no changes resulting from application of the current legislation.

Bud Stagg 1 year, 4 months ago

Judge, do you have a basement? Ever had a tornado tear your house down? Ever gone to the basement when a tornado is near? Why don't you just go stand in the front yard? Odds are nothing will happen. Same goes for crazy people with guns, they are the tornado and my gun is the storm shelter. I carry it just in case and you'll never know it's there, just like my storm shelter. In your case, if a shooter does pop up, hopefully someone is carrying a storm shelter to protect you.