Archive for Wednesday, August 7, 2013

$1,200 in copper stolen from KU campus building

August 7, 2013

About $1,200 in copper hardware was reported stolen Tuesday from a building at Kansas University, according to campus police.

The theft, from a computer services facility on Sunnyside Ave., was reported Tuesday but might have happened anytime in the past month, according to a KU Public Safety Office report.

Police believe a burglar broke into the building and stole the copper, but no suspects have been identified.

Comments

Beer Guy 1 year, 4 months ago

There have been two kinds of people that Ive been seeing alot in my neighborhood lately. Scarpers and repo men. Obviously its a sign the economy keeps getting better!

........for wall street

Stuart Sweeney 1 year, 4 months ago

The person(s) who did this are theives--not scrapers. I am a scraper, I salvage copper from items in the trash or such as today a few strands of copper I found in the road. Please don't lump me and others like me with theives.

Joe Berns 1 year, 4 months ago

thieves and scrappers... By the way, is scrapping the only job you have, or just something you do to make extra money. I ask because I go to a lot of auctions and sales and there is often a lot of scrap they sell for mere pennies and I wonder if I could make a killing doing this more on weekends.

HoneyBadger1 1 year, 4 months ago

or a sign that you probably should move to a new 'hood.

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 4 months ago

There needs to be a crackdown on scrap metal salvage yards. They are the ones buying the stolen copper. Shame these businesses just like shaming the johns who frequent prostitutes.

tanaumaga 1 year, 4 months ago

Don't you have to use an i.d. to scrap? What is missing, and start checking local scrapping yards.

Armored_One 1 year, 4 months ago

So how do you track something like Romex wiring or braided wire like you'd find on a lamp power cord? It's not like the stuff has a barcode imprinted on the wire itself, since selling it stripped is better than still sheathed.

Armored_One 1 year, 4 months ago

True, but 99% of all hardware installed these days for plumbing purposes is made from brass, not copper. Copper tubing is basically the same thing as copper wire, namely anonymous once it leaves a store. The article also doesn't mention if it is water related or electrical related, but romex, speaking from personal experience, is easier to sneak out of a building than copper pipe. Just an easier assumption for it to be electrical wiring that was stolen and not plumbing.

Jean Robart 1 year, 4 months ago

What damage was done to the building? I'm curious because i used to work there once upon a time.

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 4 months ago

No major damage to the building, according to police. The copper pieces were used to hold some wires in place. Ian Cummings, LJW.

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 4 months ago

If a pawn shop suspects stolen goods, they cannot buy. I think someone showing up at a salvage yard with a lot of copper they can't explain where they got it or produce a receipt is suspicious enough.

IndusRiver 1 year, 4 months ago

...but might have happened in the past month.

Ok so KU security couldn't be trusted with this $1,200.00 commodity and no one wants any bad guy to get away with it soooooo

Can I have it?