Archive for Monday, August 5, 2013

Lawrence residents say new garbage cans are stinking up the city

August 5, 2013

Lawrence resident Bitsey Patton washes out her city trash container which she says is retaining odors and creating smells in her garage where she stores them. Her old cans never caused that problem, she says.

Does your trash stink? Well, of course it does. But, um, does it seem worse than you remember?

“When I sit on my patio outside of my back door, the odor comes out of my garage where the trash can is and I can smell it where I’m sitting,” Lawrence resident Bitsey Patton said. “I remember thinking, ‘This has never happened before.’”

The difference between now and before: Could it be the city's new trash cans?

The City Commission approved the purchase of standardized trash carts for the city last August and a 65-gallon cart was provided to all single-family residences last fall. Craig Pruett, the operations supervisor for the City of Lawrence Solid Waste Division, said the city followed the recommendation of the city’s Solid Waste Task Force, which said the standardized carts would improve workers’ safety and allow the city to use automated trash trucks.

That's the theory. But Patton said she knows that while the heat from the summer makes garbage smell worse, it's not that. The lingering oder of trash seems to have something to do with the new carts — and the smell coming from the cart continues even after the cart is cleaned out.

Nalini Johnson, another Lawrence resident, says her can was retaining odors, too. She received a brand-new extra trash cart about two months ago, and after having it for only one night, she opened the cart and it smelled awful. She was confused how it could smell this way when it was brand new, but after leaving it open rather than letting it stay sealed so tightly, it doesn’t stink.

“It’s worse when we leave it shut,” Johnson said.

Pruett said the new containers do seal very well, and that could be the reason some residents are having an issue with their carts retaining odors. However, he said, the city has yet to receive any complaints on the issue.

“If you’re having an issue with your cart, we’d like to know your address to check it out,” Pruett said. “Call the solid waste division dispatch … we’d be more than happy to look into the issue and see what kind of resolution we can find and take care of it for them.”

To reduce any odor issues, Pruett advises bagging trash before putting it in the can to make sure everything is contained, buying good trash bags that don’t easily tear and making sure everything is sealed inside the bag, so trash crews can get all of the trash out of the can.

Patton, for her part, is trying to keep her trash can cleaner. She says that when she first noticed the smell, she hosed down the cart and let it dry out in the sun. When that didn’t work, she tried Mr. Clean detergent, again and again, followed by more sun-drying — but it still smelled terrible. Since then, she’s used a special deodorizing product that she has for her dogs — and she says she isn’t done trying.

“I’ve lived here 30 years and I’ve never had this problem," she said. "Now that I have these new cans, all of a sudden there’s an issue."

To contact the Solid Waste Division, call 832-3032 or go to their website, http://lawrenceks.org/wrr/carts.

Comments

ontheright 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Next up: We'll be ticketed for stinky trash cans!

avarom 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Just place a few of those perfume smelling dry sheets into your garbage can, the ants, fleas and roaches hate them. This diatribe sounds like a Big Canspiracy to me.....we do all the recycling and get a bill for it to boot! Not to mention, the garbage company is making money on reselling to other companies..... Something defintely smells rotten and it's not my garbage.....

budwhysir 8 months, 2 weeks ago

All this complaining and no one has stopped to realize that the city expects you to generate your trash for collection on the day before collection and only the day before collection.

smokey 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Use Your Neighbors Can, problem solved

Steven Swaggerty 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Ms. Patton...here's an idea: Rinse you nasty trash can out once a year whether it needs it or not! You'd be surprised how much it will cut down on the odor!! Or better yet just move it from your back door! One more thing: Where do I send the cheese?

littlebit1313 8 months, 2 weeks ago

we started using the trash cart when they started with them, years ago. We also got one of the newer ones a couple of months ago. We have never had a problem with either of them and even if we did it is trash people what do you expect?

BABBOY 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow. If you are that concerned about it, bag the trash and the smelly stuff will not cake at the bottom and cook in the heat. I think any trash can probably stinks. But, whatever......

abcd123 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I think this is what might be described as a "1st world problem."

gccs14r 8 months, 2 weeks ago

The only thing I noticed is how much more room it takes up than my old can did. I'm not in the habit of generating smelly trash, though.

bearded_gnome 8 months, 2 weeks ago

^^deec 4 hours, 47 minutes ago

Compost your food waste. Rinse out cans and bottles. Throw a little baking soda in the trash bags. Double bag cat liter and used ladies hygiene items. Recycle paper, metal, plastic and glass items. You'll generate very little waste and vastly decrease odor.

---and thus they tax your time, attention, and effort, along with the dollars. americans oviously have nothing better to do than to handle and rehandle their garbage!

Liberal 8 months, 2 weeks ago

TRASH STINKS...I can't believe people are making an issue of this. Go to a commercial building in the summer and smell the trash bins out back. This seriously is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

These trash cans have been used in Lawrence for more than a decade. Has it been a news item in the past? How about not putting rotting food in the can, that might help, try your garbage disposal or create a compost pile.

lwmang 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Drill Holes? No. Kidding? Why would you want all that nasty stuff all over your property and in your garage. Leave the trash juice in the street please.

David Dunlap 8 months, 2 weeks ago

...and in other breaking news: The rain this year is wet.

fmrl 8 months, 2 weeks ago

There are certain plastic formulations that smell really bad. Like a new-car smell it will go away in time.

Richard Ballard 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Stink?? They stink less then the open can I kept in the garage before.

I like them.

No flies for one thing!

And they only stink when you open the lid to put stuff in. Close the lid and they don't stink!! Simple as that.

Drill holes?? Yea! That's the ticket! The garbage juice has gotta drain out on my garage floor or I certainly will not be happy.

What are the cockroaches & mice in the neighborhood gonna be attracted to in my house otherwise?

Did I mention I really like the new cans much better then the open can it replaced!!

rcmodel

bearded_gnome 8 months, 2 weeks ago

---just wait 'till city mandated recycling comes in, two stinking cans. and remember, if you make holes in them, you're defacing city property probably punishable by two years in Leavenworth or else you get remanded to a greeniewheenie reeducation camp.

the busybodies have no problem taxing your time, energy, ec., beyond the dollars.

bearded_gnome 8 months, 2 weeks ago

"cans? ... we don't need no stinkin' cans!"

... from the movie.

Andrea Hoag 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Seriously, it's not the end of the world either way. Squeeze a bit of soap in there, pour a bottle of cheap white vinegar in there from the dollar store, let it sit and dump it out. How bad could it be?

Folks who are really upset about this one - I've got some laundry for you to fold. Head on over, I'll put you to work.

deec 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Phoghorn 8 months, 2 weeks ago

The answer to today's google question is "antidisestablishmentarianism" btw.

CWGOKU 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Opened a whole new can of worms here

kansasfan21 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Is this really worthy of an entire article? Does someone have so little to do or worry about, that they call the Journal-World because their trash can stinks?? This about the most ridiculous thing, although it helps put a smile on my face to curb the Monday dull-drums. I would like to be able to sit on my patio, and the worst possible problem I can think of is: "Boy, I think I'll call the city, and the newspaper, that trash smells worse than normal." Can I have her life please?

jack22 8 months, 2 weeks ago

No matter how much the garbage stinks it still smells better than the deal the city got for the new recreation center.

50YearResident 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I live in a rural area with trash service. I haven't washed my can in 15 years and it still doesn't stink. It is provided by a different service than in town. The stink must be the can itself and the material it is made from. There are no holes in the bottom of the can either.

jafs 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I wouldn't drill any holes in the carts without checking with the city.

Terry Lee 8 months, 2 weeks ago

This is clearly Obama's fault.....

deec 8 months, 2 weeks ago

This so reminds me of the Phil Hartman SNL skits with Gene, the Anal Retentive chef.

matahari 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I noticed a stink early on, everything used to go into a bag first but I figured since it stinks anyway, a few things are being just dropped in there and not bothering with a bag for everything. You won't catch me washing out my can umpteen times a week tho, that's for sure!

oneeye_wilbur 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Drill holes as someone else said. Rinse out, leave lid open so air can circulate. Why put it in the garage? Leave it outside someplace.

Why bag trash? Isn't it a trash can and NOT a trash bag can?

Aiko 8 months, 2 weeks ago

"it's the cans! He hates the cans!"

Matthew Herbert 8 months, 2 weeks ago

What a bunch of whiners! You are all upset because YOUR trash smells bad? "the city needs to take responsibility"....oh give me a break! Three steps you can do in 2 minutes or less to resolve this problem: 1) bag your trash 2) drill a few small drainage holes in the bottom of the can. 3) Store your can in an open air area such as anywhere outside Problem solved.

Complaining that the city made your trash smell is like complaining that the city sewer system makes my bathroom smell after I take a dump.

ssteve1 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Trust me. It's not the garbage cans.

Pheps 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Be Green people. Try recycling to eliminate the need for trash receptacles. A Green life, is anti-stink.

kernal 8 months, 2 weeks ago

When the day time temps are over 70 degrees, the sun beats down and creates an oven in your trash can; of course it's going to stink! Especially if you don't rinse your cans and beer bottles (those unrinsed beer bottles will attract cockroaches, for those of you who leave beer sitting in the bottles overnight).

Just rinse out the cans and bottles and put the meat, poultry and fish wrappings and bones in a plastic bag in your freezer until the night before you put your trash out. That will eliminate the growing odor in your hot garage.

We'll need to rinse out food containers when we begin curbside recycling so may as well get used to it now.

Clickker 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Just get a drill with a 1/2" bit, drill 4 holes in the bottom...problem solved.

btsflk 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Try sprinkling a layer of baking soda in the bottom, with a layer of newspaper over that. If you wash it out use a cup of white vinegar with a little dish detergent, more baking soda if you want. Have found this helps.

average 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Jeesh people. They're the exact same poly carts used for trash collection in, oh, roughly 95% of the country. Like, literally, everywhere else. Stop acting like this is some wild evil socialist experiment or something.

DoUntoOthers 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I've bagged every bit of mine in those great yellow trash bags and mine still stinks. The City needs to take responsibility.

jafs 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I haven't noticed any odor.

We leave our can in the garage with the lid open during the week, and only close it when we bring it to the curb. And, of course, we put our trash into bags inside the can. Also, sometimes I'll leave it outside with the lid off just to air out.

ljreader 8 months, 2 weeks ago

our tax dollars hard at waste.

Reader 8 months, 2 weeks ago

This Whole Thing "Stank" From The Beginning!

rlsd 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Another GREAT idea that falls flat. The city will NEVER admit this, I think that people were smart enough to get their trash to the curb and NOT smell but the city knows best!!!! Not!!!!!

alexis_johnson 8 months, 2 weeks ago

I have had the same issue with my new can. The odor is horrendous and I bag all of my trash. I have washed out the interior, used Simple Green, soap, etc...to no avail. I will call Mr. Pruitt today to see if they will switch me out containers.

CrystalKU 8 months, 2 weeks ago

"Pruett advises bagging trash before putting it in the can" I thought we had to put the trash in a trash bag or we would get nasty-grams and then fines.

make_a_difference 8 months, 2 weeks ago

On a bit of a different note...I happened to notice that some days my trash is picked up by collector opening the can, reaching inside & taking out trash bag(s), which are then put into truck. (sometimes small loose trash being left inside of the can) The can isn't used at all to deposit trash into the truck. I've also noticed this is faster than engaging the can with the truck, so assume this is the reason. Now I am one of the people who didn't use a can before. I carried the bag(s) to curb to be picked up, so now must make the trip to retrieve said can & return to the front of the house. (I work odd hours so sometimes the can has to sit on curb a while)

If the can isn't used for trash pickup, why can't I put my one small bag on the curb to be picked up by hand? Since that's what they are doing anyway.

oneeye_wilbur 8 months, 2 weeks ago

They need drainage holes in the bottom. It's a no brainier.