Archive for Sunday, August 4, 2013

100 years ago: Lawrence minister starts new pulpit fashion

August 4, 2013


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Aug. 4, 1913:

  • "Rev. Frank Herron Smith of Lawrence started today on a mission which will keep him away from his home for a period of seven years. Sent by the First Methodist Episcopal Church of this city, Rev. Smith will spend the next seven years at Nagasaki, Japan.... Rev. Smith yesterday morning preached his farewell sermon at the First Methodist Church. Rev. Smith appeared in the pulpit dressed in a plain white linen suit, an innovation in Lawrence. It was the first time that a Lawrence minister had ever entered the pulpit dressed in this summer style. Heretofore Lawrence ministers have avoided the summer color and light fabrics on Sundays, much as some of them might have liked to have made themselves more comfortable. But Rev. Frank Smith did not hesitate to wear the linen clothes, and he appeared cool and comfortable before his congregation."
  • "August is starting out for a weather record, incidentally the drouth continues, suffering continues, crops are burning up and the rumors of hard times ahead are growing more and more persistent. In the way of records today claimed a maximum temperature of 102 1/2 degrees, reached at 2 o'clock this afternoon. This figure is but a half degree below the hot weather mark for the year, established on July 15, when the thermometer reached the 103 position. Little relief is seen ahead.... The continued hot weather and the lack of rain is causing a wail to go up over the state of Kansas that predicts hard times ahead for this winter. The crops are burning up in the field. They are badly in need of rain and unable to cope with the blistering heat of the sun. The farmers are complaining and there seems no chance of escaping a short crop this fall."
  • "George M. Brooks of Lawrence was killed Saturday night when he fell from a train near Junction City, Kansas. The body of the young man was sent to Lawrence and funeral services were held here this afternoon, interment in the Twin Mount cemetery, southwest of Lawrence. Very little is known regarding the accident. Brooks was found on the tracks dead and his body was taken in charge by the railroad officials and relatives here notified. The body was badly bruised and it is suspected that death was instant. There were no broken bones and it is suspected that the young man suffered a concussion and died without regaining consciousness. George Brooks was a son of Justice James Brooks of this city. He was 32 years old and unmarried. Brooks was on his way to California when the tragedy occurred."
  • "The annual C.P.A. picnic has been known as the 'horse thief' picnic but that is the name given it in jest not in derision. The organization has always stood for good citizenship and good government.... The picnic at Woodland Park will be an all day affair and it will be attended by many hundreds of people from three counties. This is so well known that every preparation has been made to take care of a crowd. The picnics never fail to draw. There will be just as many town people present as country people.... It will be a good place to go on Wednesday and if you want a good time make your plans accordingly. This is picnic season anyway."
  • "Out of the goodness of their hearts the members of the First Regimental Band of Lawrence will resume the playing of regular weekly concerts in the city parks this week. The day for the concert has not been determined upon yet but J. C. McCanless, chief musician of the band, stated this morning that his men had decided to resume the concerts and to continue them until fall. The band is experiencing a shortness of funds this year and some of the members of the organization who have worked hard to bring it up to its present standard are inclined to feel discouraged over the prospects but nevertheless the organization will be maintained and there will be concerts."


JS82 4 years, 9 months ago

I looked up Reverend Frank Herron Smith and saw that he spent about 20 years as a missionary in Japan and Korea. He came back to the states and worked with the Japanese churches near San Francisco. When WWII came he spoke against the internment camps for the Japanese and even worked with those that were held in the camps. When he was delivering his last sermon in Lawrence he had no idea what was ahead of him.

I really do enjoy these articles. Lots of interesting information

Commenting has been disabled for this item.