Archive for Monday, April 22, 2013

Burglar steals jewelry from home while resident sleeps

April 22, 2013

A Lawrence woman reported to police Saturday that a burglar entered her home the previous night and stole jewelry while she was asleep in another room.

Lawrence crime, fire, courts coverage
Have a tip?
Contact Journal-World reporter Caitlin Doornbos:

The burglar apparently entered the unlocked home sometime between 9 p.m. Friday and 7 a.m. Saturday and stole jewelry from the downstairs bedroom of a roommate, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman. The burglar dumped the roommate's purse in the living room, stole jewelry from the bedroom, and ignored other valuable items. The jewelry was valued at $1,000, McKinley said. Police have not yet identified a suspect.

Comments

Jason Johnson 1 year, 7 months ago

I wonder if it was someone she knew, who might have known where her stuff was.

Thinking_Out_Loud 1 year, 7 months ago

I doubt that. Were I a burglar, looking for jewelry, the first place I would look for a jewelry box would be a woman's bedroom.

mdlund0 1 year, 7 months ago

Another article surpassing the journalistic excellence that I expect out of the Journal World. As soon as you start reading you already know Who, What, Where, When, and How. No? Well I guess 2 out of 5 isn't half bad. Crap! It IS half bad... actually, slightly more than half bad. WHERE DID THIS TAKE PLACE? WHO WAS THE VICTIM? HOW DID THE BURGLAR GET IN? THESE ARE THE THINGS WE NEED TO KNOW!

BlackVelvet 1 year, 7 months ago

Exactly why do you NEED to know exactly where this took place? Why do you NEED to know who the victim was?

patkindle 1 year, 7 months ago

I would suspect the paper released all of the information they were allowed to

friendlyjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

There is nothing you need to know mdlund0 except to keep your doors locked and your mouth shut.

Stop_the_Madness 1 year, 7 months ago

People need to be much more cautious. Secure your residence and do not share much information about your schedule or your assets.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 7 months ago

A timer to turn lights on and off while you are away or asleep can be bought for less than $10. I think that's $10 worth of peace of mind, then your schedule will be a mystery.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

there are criminals who simply walk a neighborhood, trying door knobs until they find one unlocked.

wonder if this is such. if neighborhood were at least ID'ed ...

Thinking_Out_Loud 1 year, 7 months ago

Good point, Big_B.

Of course...the Gun does the victim no good when she's asleep.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 7 months ago

A good alarm system, and double locked doors might help prevent this. Plus a dog that barks loudly. In this day and age of so many aggravated burglaries, it is a wonder to me that someone hasn't been killed. It is not good to leave your doors unlocked, anytime.

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 7 months ago

It sounds like simply locking the doors would have prevented this particular incident, but it's a bit strange that in an unlocked house, the only thing disturbed was an unattended purse dumped out, and that the burglar knew exactly where to find the jewelry.

I'd like to mention that a dog is a companion, not an alarm system, and a constantly barking, neglected dog is a nuisance to the neighborhood.

littlebit82 1 year, 7 months ago

Lynn didn't say anything about a "constantly barking, neglected dog." Our dogs would both bark loudly if we were asleep and someone tried to come in our house. They are extremely pampered and well taken care of-- they just hear things better than we do and alert us of potential danger. They are good watch dogs even when they are asleep in our bed at our feet!

Rae Hudspeth 1 year, 7 months ago

You are good pet owners, and I commend you for that. I am saying that some people who get a dog strictly as an alarm for intruders are not so responsible, and it's wise to note that if someone is considering a dog for protection only, maybe they first consider if they are also willing to be good pet owners. A dog is inherently happier with a "pack" or family, not just as a convenient burglar alarm. I'm sure that you understand what I mean, and may have even been witness to inconsiderate pet owners like that.

Megan Tugman 1 year, 7 months ago

I wonder if this was the same guy who has been going through my complex and rifling through people's unlocked cars.

Topple 1 year, 7 months ago

Yea..it's not like there's been a hundred burglaries in the past year. Why lock your door? Then you have to unlock it the next morning...what a drag!

elliottaw 1 year, 7 months ago

a gun would have made no difference in this situation

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

... Justanotherface and Th_big-B, dunno how her being armed would've helped her in this situation except that the perp could've lifted the gun too while she slept.

yes, a gun for self defense would be good, and she might consider that, CCW. but lock doors and windows is a good start.

I'm just glad nothing happened to her physically! jewelry can* be replaced!

stneve 1 year, 7 months ago

something similar happened to me in the 13th & Kentucky St. area years ago-- The guy was very bold, saw my purse sitting on the kitchen counter, came in, cleaned my cashed paycheck out of it and kindly placed my emptied purse outside my door. What scared me was that I was walking around cleaning our small 2 bedroom apartment so I could have caught him inside my home at any time. Glad I didn't. This same person stole things out of cars & the back of trucks in our parking lot too. It doesn't say where this took place but makes me wonder.....

gatekeeper 1 year, 7 months ago

My mom always taught me that you hide your purse in the house. Then no one can easily grab it if they break in.

Liberty275 1 year, 7 months ago

A dog would have prevented this crime.

bad_dog 1 year, 7 months ago

Any dog or a particular one? Under Dog? McGruff? The Taco Bell chihuahua?

¿Usted quiere mi joyería?

kansas_o_kansas 1 year, 7 months ago

The Taco Bell chihuahua would be an excellent choice - chihuahua's are loud and hypervigilant.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

couple nights ago, the wife awoke me, thinking somebody was trying our door. we live in north lawrence.