Archive for Monday, April 22, 2013

Burglar steals jewelry from home while resident sleeps

April 22, 2013

A Lawrence woman reported to police Saturday that a burglar entered her home the previous night and stole jewelry while she was asleep in another room.

The burglar apparently entered the unlocked home sometime between 9 p.m. Friday and 7 a.m. Saturday and stole jewelry from the downstairs bedroom of a roommate, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman. The burglar dumped the roommate's purse in the living room, stole jewelry from the bedroom, and ignored other valuable items. The jewelry was valued at $1,000, McKinley said. Police have not yet identified a suspect.

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 12 months ago

What about the person demanding a name and address of the vic? Creeper.

bearded_gnome 12 months ago

couple nights ago, the wife awoke me, thinking somebody was trying our door. we live in north lawrence.

mikekt 12 months ago

So who is responsible for locking their own doors and windows ? Or cars and motorcycles securely ?

Not locking your doors and windows makes, it easy for junkies to self destruct, robbing houses to feed their bad habits !......and could cost you or them a trip to the grave yard .

And if your neighbor sees what is happening and calls the cops, then they get summonsed to court to have to testify for the prosecution, if they catch the junky,.....where the neighbor gets to deal with the junky, his crew that shows up for his or her trial.... and the lawyer for the defense !

Save yourself and your neighbors the problem ! Lock your home, stuff & car securely !

Steve Swaggerty 12 months ago

Never ceases to amaze me how people can SLEEP through someone burglarizing their home.

Liberty275 12 months ago

A dog would have prevented this crime.

stneve 12 months ago

something similar happened to me in the 13th & Kentucky St. area years ago-- The guy was very bold, saw my purse sitting on the kitchen counter, came in, cleaned my cashed paycheck out of it and kindly placed my emptied purse outside my door. What scared me was that I was walking around cleaning our small 2 bedroom apartment so I could have caught him inside my home at any time. Glad I didn't. This same person stole things out of cars & the back of trucks in our parking lot too. It doesn't say where this took place but makes me wonder.....

bearded_gnome 12 months ago

... Justanotherface and Th_big-B, dunno how her being armed would've helped her in this situation except that the perp could've lifted the gun too while she slept.

yes, a gun for self defense would be good, and she might consider that, CCW. but lock doors and windows is a good start.

I'm just glad nothing happened to her physically! jewelry can* be replaced!

justanotherface 12 months ago

1. Lock your doors and windows
  2. Keep a firearm locked and loaded in your night stand

Topple 12 months ago

Yea..it's not like there's been a hundred burglaries in the past year. Why lock your door? Then you have to unlock it the next morning...what a drag!

Megan Tugman 12 months ago

I wonder if this was the same guy who has been going through my complex and rifling through people's unlocked cars.

Lynn731 12 months ago

A good alarm system, and double locked doors might help prevent this. Plus a dog that barks loudly. In this day and age of so many aggravated burglaries, it is a wonder to me that someone hasn't been killed. It is not good to leave your doors unlocked, anytime.

bearded_gnome 12 months ago

there are criminals who simply walk a neighborhood, trying door knobs until they find one unlocked.

wonder if this is such. if neighborhood were at least ID'ed ...

Stop_the_Madness 12 months ago

People need to be much more cautious. Secure your residence and do not share much information about your schedule or your assets.

friendlyjhawk 12 months ago

There is nothing you need to know mdlund0 except to keep your doors locked and your mouth shut.

patkindle 12 months ago

I would suspect the paper released all of the information they were allowed to

mdlund0 12 months ago

Another article surpassing the journalistic excellence that I expect out of the Journal World. As soon as you start reading you already know Who, What, Where, When, and How. No? Well I guess 2 out of 5 isn't half bad. Crap! It IS half bad... actually, slightly more than half bad. WHERE DID THIS TAKE PLACE? WHO WAS THE VICTIM? HOW DID THE BURGLAR GET IN? THESE ARE THE THINGS WE NEED TO KNOW!

Jason Johnson 12 months ago

I wonder if it was someone she knew, who might have known where her stuff was.

sherbert 12 months ago

Be nice to have an address.

midwest_muser 12 months ago

Good thing that jewelry hoarding rich woman didn't use one of those nasty evil guns to harm that poor defenseless helpless burglar...