Archive for Friday, April 12, 2013

Fearing resigns as Southwest Middle School assistant principal

April 12, 2013

The Lawrence school district on Friday announced the resignation of Matt Fearing as assistant principal at Southwest Middle School.

Although his resignation is effective June 30, the district said Fearing will take extended leave for the remainder of the school year because of health reasons.

Fearing joined the district in 1993 as a social studies teacher at West Middle School. He has been assistant principal at Southwest since the school opened in 1998.

“I appreciate Matt’s 20 years of dedication to our schools, including his service as an assistant principal at Southwest since that school opened its doors," said Lawrence Superintendent Rick Doll.

Doll said the district will begin a search for a new assistant principal. In the meantime, Robert Arevalo will serve as interim assistant principal for the remainder of the year.

Arevalo retired in 2012 as division director of human resources after 29 years working for the district.

Comments

vermont 1 year ago

Huge loss for SW and LPS. I wish for the best and hope all is well with Mr. Fearing. I had him in school also. I real class act.

colicole81 1 year ago

Mr. Fearing was my history teacher at West in 1994! I couldn't possibly begin to say what an important role he played in my life. He is an amazing role model, advocate and educator. The Lawrence School District and Lawrence youth will surely miss him. I wish him the very best and I thank him for his service to the community. - Nichole Weatherwax-Feurt

Ryan Kruse 1 year ago

Mr Fearing, man of character and someone you always were happy to see at Southwest. Whenever I came to referee at SWJH he had a smile from ear to ear and and a handshake saying thank you. Best wishes Matt, I hope whatever your health issues are whether it be yours or your family's God heals you quickly.

Paul R Getto 1 year ago

Good luck and thanks for your service.

rlsd 1 year ago

That is one huge loss for SW. I worked with him at one time and he is wonderful to work with and cared so much about the kids. Wish him well.

rlsd 1 year ago

That is one huge loss of SW. I worked with him at one time and he is wonderful to work with and cared so much about the kids. Wish him well.

oneflewover 1 year ago

I was there for the first three years, no lockers for part of the first. He was/is a standout character to students and faculty alike. Hope the best.

WillieG 1 year ago

Mr. Fearing has served the Lawrence Public Schools for two decades in several different roles. My experience with him was that he was a loyal, dedicated employee who was willing to assume additional responsibility, conscientious in the performance of his duties, was very loyal to the district, cared about kids, and was an excellent teacher and athletics director. As an assistant principal he was a strong partner with Dr. Bransky, and believed in the mission that made Southwest Middle School such an asset to this community. I am not certain what prompted this immediate resignation, but I wish him the best in his future pursuit of service to kids.

rainydaze 1 year ago

More than ten years ago, Mr. Fearing took my daughter under his wing. She was being bullied by a group of girls at Southwest, who threatened physical violence at school, defaced our home and posted death threats online. The police at the time suggested we just "let it go," but Mr. Fearing graciously acted as an advocate by allowing my daughter to "hang out" with him in the school office at lunchtime to avoid these girls in the lunchroom. This was at the time when the issue of bullying was just beginning to be discussed and the school wasn't prepared to take as strong a stand as it would probably be able to today against the bullying girls. Mr. Fearing was her hero and we thank him for his kindness. By the way, my daughter has survived and flourished, and is a successful professional now. Our family wishes Mr. Fearing the best.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year ago

Wishing Matt the best. This is a huge loss for LPS.