Archive for Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Editorial: Thatcher inspiration

Perhaps Margaret Thatcher’s death will spur Americans to rally around the causes of individual freedom and smaller government.

April 9, 2013

The death of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher brings to an end an incredible career for a woman, who in a relatively few years, with a tough backbone and an unshakable conviction, was able to change a tottering socialist society to a positive and optimistic free market.

She transformed England and ignited a positive view and support of individual freedom and smaller government. She successfully fought labor unions, which were paralyzing her country. In 11 years, she remade the British economy.

The death of “The Iron Lady” is a major loss, but, at the same time, the memory of what she was able to accomplish in England perhaps will cause Americans to stop and realize what is happening to this country under the presidency of Barack Obama.

In his 2008 campaign for the presidency, Obama told his audiences they were only days away from being able to bring about fundamental changes in America.

Some may have laughed at such a suggestion, but history shows his critics and doubters have always underestimated him — and have been proven wrong.

He has favored bigger government control in business, industry, the environment and Americans’ personal lives. He has presided while this nation has incurred a historic and crippling national debt. His Obamacare health plan will come close to bankrupting this country. His foreign policy is leaving this country with less respect and admiration throughout the world, with a weaker military force and less conviction by Obama to use this force when necessary.

Under the Obama presidency, this country is drifting, slowly but surely, toward socialism and fewer freedoms. This is the “fundamental change” he has believed in from the beginning, and he is not letting up. He has raised record amounts of money, and campaign workers with a strategy to capture the upcoming 2014 congressional elections, wipe out the troublesome GOP majority in the House and complete his transformation of America.

This country, particularly at this time in our history, needs an individual with the courage, conviction and belief in the values that have made this nation so great. Such a leader could rally and inspire U.S. citizens to the critical importance of protecting our freedoms and not allowing government to take control of our lives.

Is there a Margaret Thatcher-type individual in the United Sates who is articulate and tough enough to halt Obama’s “fundamental change”?

Comments

ThePilgrim 1 year, 5 months ago

"to change a tottering socialist society to a positive and optimistic free market"

I can't believe that I am reading this in a LJW editorial.

The latter half of the article is true. Obama is the anti-Thatcher.

xyz 1 year, 5 months ago

Just move to London already, Dolph. A win-win for everybody!

msezdsit 1 year, 5 months ago

Pure fantasy. The make believe world of Adolpho.

PhilChiles 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey, he's right! I just looked outside and people are rallying around. They're all talking about Margaret Thatcher and holding signs where Obama has that little Hitler mustache. I hope you people will have the decency to take back what you've said.

fiddleback 1 year, 5 months ago

Thank God; I thought I'd never get a chance to break out my Obitler sign again!

snitty 1 year, 5 months ago

The "free market" that you attribute to Thatcher is a corporate monopoly that has usurped power from the people, destroying democracy as well as freedom of markets. Its optimism is born of greed, not of freedom. Carried to its logical conclusion, laisser-faire capitalism leads to plantation slavery, extreme economic inequality, and fascism. Thatcher and Reagan were paid agents of this insurgent power, as has now become the norm for most politicians, including Obama.

jjt 1 year, 5 months ago

I lived through the Thatcher years and ran a business under her rule. The Editor did not. She single-handedly decimated the British property market, Bankrupted tens of thousands of small and medium sized business. You did not want to be poor or ill under her regime. Worse would be working poor or working ill. She treated senior colleagues (at cabinet level) like dirt. She affected an upper class voice, when her parents ran a shop in the Midlands - which one would think she would have been proud of. Her husband Dennis, a long suffering chap, was a very successful business man in his own right which is why she had the money to pretend to be something she was not. Editorials are for opinions. That is why one owns a newspaper, fair enough, but one should actually research the facts. I could go on, but all some folks look at is the UK taking back the Falklands and thus she bought the greatness back to the UK.

The Conservatives (her own party) threw her out and a great deal of the country thought good riddance. She was never in the same league as Churchill or Reagan. It may not be true to say that there are folk on the streets across the UK singing "Ding Dong, the Witch is dead", but it is only because being civilized, we do not speak ill of the dead.

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 5 months ago

Interesting how Dolph and George Will distort her record and use their own version of the facts to promote their own political ideology.

I am at a loss to understand how intelligent people can believe that this will make us a better country.

Probably the only people that believe the hype about Thatcher are Americans. The British are in awe of our gullibility and wish they could afford to get off of that island.

tomatogrower 1 year, 5 months ago

"Under the Obama presidency, this country is drifting, slowly but surely, toward socialism and fewer freedoms."

What? So far, the Republicans have told me, a woman, what to do with my body. Republicans in other states have gone so far as to propose that certain sexual act are made illegal. I have to show my id when I vote, despite the fact that I have lived in the same place for years. My friends aren't allowed to have union dues deducted from their pay checks. One guy even wants to demand that KU play Wichita State. Mandate after mandate after mandate. Every week I wait to hear what freedom they are taking away from us next.

Obama is in favor of extending the right to marry to any 2 consenting adults. He wants to assure that women doing the same job as men are getting paid the same. He wants to encourage companies to bring back their manufacturing to the United States. He trusts women to make their own health decisions.

Of course, he wants tax dodgers to quit sending their riches to money laundering banks overseas. So, I guess if you are one of those, then he is stepping on your rights. He wants to make it hard for mentally ill people to legally own guns. So I guess if you are a mentally ill person, he is trying to step on your right to own a gun, and kill people. He has tried, but not hard enough, to make banks do the job they are suppose to, instead of stealing money, so I guess if you are a banker, you would hate Obama.

Oh, and health care. Boo hoo. Why are you so hateful that you wouldn't want everyone have the right to health care? Do you really feel hate poor people that much? Hey, you can't afford it, so go off and die? How is making sure that people have health care taking away anyone's rights? Is it taking away your right to look down your nose at a poor, sick person, because you are healthy and rich?

msezdsit 1 year, 5 months ago

Don't forget "A dolhp io" sold his cable media monopoly for millions and millions and millions and millions .........................of dollars.

tomatogrower 1 year, 5 months ago

And how is busting unions not taking away people's freedom?

tomatogrower 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh, and your idol, Thatcher, supported Apartheid in South Africa. That is freedom loving? Whose freedom?

WilburM 1 year, 5 months ago

She called Nelson Mandela a terrorist.

somebodynew 1 year, 5 months ago

And, even though they spout it, I have yet to see any of the Republicans (??) in charge of this State do ANYTHING to promote Smaller Govt. As tomatogrower said, one mandate after another, even down to regulating LOCAL elections and forcing them to become partisan.

I guess their idea of "small" government = they run everything therefore it is small to them.

orbiter 1 year, 5 months ago

hahahaha, oh Dolph! Your editorials are unmistakable: credulous middle school quality analysis, Fox News sourced.

God bless the affirmative action of inheritance, the window it gives to those who were given all they have.

arch007bak 1 year, 5 months ago

Praise for someone who referred to Nelson Mandela as a terrorist? Should tell you all you need to know about Dolph.

Brian Rumsey 1 year, 5 months ago

Despite the often asinine political views expressed by the ownership of the LJWorld, I've never unsubscribed because I appreciate the quality of the journalism found in the rest of the paper. However, I'll feel a little less bad about dropping my subscription when I move away in a couple months by knowing that my dollars will no longer be supporting the ownership's divorced-from-reality editorials.