Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

KU atheist group having conference this month

April 8, 2013

The Kansas University Society of Open-Minded Atheists and Agnostics group will present an interfaith panel on morality and feature visits from a comedian, a singer and an ex-member of Topeka’s Westboro Baptist Church later this month.

The events are part of its annual Reasonfest conference, which will take place this year at 9 a.m. on April 20 and 21 in Alderson Auditorium at the Kansas Union.

The theme of the conference’s third year will be “Modern Morality: Making Ethical Decisions in a Secular Society,” and on Saturday night it will feature a panel with atheist, Christian, Hindu, Jewish and Muslim representatives who will discuss how they approach morality and answer questions. After the panel there will be performances by comedian Keith Lowell Jensen and Australian singer-songwriter Shelley Segal.

Featured on Sunday will be a “Moral Combat” debate between atheist and Catholic speakers, and a talk by Nate Phelps, a former Westboro Baptist Church member.

Comments

yourworstnightmare 1 year ago

Religion and religious belief are two of the biggest evils in the world today and throughout history.

One need only look at the catholic church cover up of child abuse and modern Islam to see that this is true.

True freedom is living an ethical and moral life in the absence of religion, which in fact makes it more difficult to do so.

"J-U-M-P-I-N-G, jumping in Gomorrah, I'm religion-free" (XTC song).

verity 1 year ago

When one looks at the history of religion, one sees evolution at work.

Religion/ceremony/ritual fosters group cohesion which helps in the fight for survival. An example of this is the ceremony and ritual surrounding the British royalty even today. During WWII, the king and queen were an important symbol.

It also fosters exclusion of those who don't follow the group beliefs because they threaten the status quo. A very good example is the current attitude of so many toward atheists. At least we're not being burned at the stake anymore---society has evolved beyond that.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year ago

I wonder if the Open Minded Atheists Group invited the God Hating Christian Group?

Jen43 1 year ago

I remember an incident about 20 years ago when some atheists held a candlelight vigil by the Union Celebrating Darwin's birthday. The display had the appearance of a religious ceremony and note that it was his Birthday they celebrated, not the date he published or conceived the idea of evolution. It was as if Darwin had become a deity to them. At the time, I thought it was ironic, but no one ever pointed out the paradox in the news.

Chris Golledge 1 year ago

I was wondering why this is news, and then I see the comments. OK

Karl_Hungus 1 year ago

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"- Stephen Roberts

snitty 1 year ago

Many atheists become so after having an allergic reaction to dogmatic religion. It is not God they reject, but the concept of God provided by religion. They are still concerned with living a moral life.

Bailey Perkins 1 year ago

Why not actually check out the groups site?

I'll make it even easier for you, here's the link: http://kusoma.org/2013/01/reasonfest-2013/

riverdrifter 1 year ago

"It is high time the State stopped all funding to ku."

By the Saints, for the first time in recorded history lg40 and I agree on something! It's high-time that KU stopped accepting funding from the nutball, laffer curving, bible thumping and teabagging hayseeds in the Kansas looney bin known as the statehouse.

75x55 1 year ago

"Open Minded Atheists"?

How "open minded"?

Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

lawrenceguy40 1 year ago

The State of Kansas (that means YOU if you are one of the 53%) funds this abomination known as ku so it can spread its liberal ideology to the young people in our State.

It is high time the State stopped all funding to ku. This only provides further evidence of its immoral ways.

midwest_muser 1 year ago

I can't imagine actually planning an event based on something you DON'T believe. I don't believe in keeping tortillas in the refrigerator. When is that meeting?