Archive for Thursday, April 4, 2013

Gun rights bills on target for final passage

April 4, 2013

— Two gun-rights measures were nearing final legislative passage on Thursday.

One bill would declare that federal law would have no authority over guns owned or manufactured in Kansas.

As the so-called Second Amendment Protection Act was approved in the House, it would have allowed local law enforcement to arrest any federal authority trying to enforce action against a Kansas-protected gun.

Some legislators said that could lead to dangerous standoffs between Kansas and federal authorities.

Both the Senate and House negotiators agreed to changing that provision to allow locals to serve federal authorities with charges but not physically arrest them.

Sen. Jay Emler, R-Louisburg, explained the difference as, "You can charge … but you can't handcuff them."

The other bill would permit public schools and state colleges to arm employees with concealed guns.

Gun rights advocates sought passage of the bills in reaction to calls from federal officials for more gun control laws following December's mass shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

Comments

indrid_cold 1 year ago

"Gun rights." Once the light has gone out, one is left simply stumbling through the debris of the modern age.

msezdsit 1 year ago

And they huffed and the puffed and they blew the federal government down. Or rather, they hope to have enough guns to take out the feds. Kobach approved so thats all that matters. Next, you will have to show proof of your arsenal to be able to vote. These radical right wing fringe lunatics know that they will eventually need all these guns to protect themselves against all the people they are trampling on and ripping off and their stupid enough to think they can pull it off. wackos.

The countries petri dish of lunatics: Kansas.

Clark Coan 1 year ago

Some more unconstitutional wingnut legislation. So glad they are going home today until the wrap-up session in May.

Jason Johnson 1 year ago

The 2nd Amendment is the only amendment that protects the rest of them. I will just leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

autie 1 year ago

To make a state law thats say federal law is not law is stupid. Federal law is like the ace of spades, it trumps everybody. Do we need a review in nullification? I thought that whole thing got hashed out in the first half of the 1860's. You don't need to be a Harvard lawyer to understand that. Oh wait, sorry Kris.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year ago

George, I read the article and one thing both her and Adam Lanzas mom have in common is both did a terrible job managing their child's illness. The mistakes the mom made in her article are to numerous to go into but anyone who has a mentally ill child or is in the field would agree with me. Ms Lanzas mistake were denial and teaching her son to use firearms.

HermanBubbert 1 year ago

Every time I'm tempted to consider moving back to Kansas to live on our family land, an article like this shows up to remind me of the idiocy of such a move. The Kansas legislature certainly is making our future plans easier to make!

reality_check79 1 year ago

Why is the discussion only about guns? I am all in favor of background checks, psych evaluation, longer waiting periods, and trigger locks on all weapons not being used... The facts are that registered gun owners are not committing these crimes!!! It is the dealers, theft, and a FEW owners that fail to insure that the guns they own are secure... To attack all gun owners is ignorant and irresponsible... My guns have never hurt anyone and I hope they never do, that being said I will protect my home and I will fire my weapons for hunting and recreational purposes... Kansas is not the only state doing this, in fact Colorado is losing business and jobs because of recent laws passed there... People on both sides need to be educated about guns and the % of registered owners who commit crimes before throwing all gun owners into one group...

Biscayne 1 year ago

Thank goodness we don't have a bunch of idiots running this state, like DC does trying to destroy this country!

William Weissbeck 1 year ago

Are we really paying these guys to sit around in Topeka to think this stuff up? Seems to me they'd come up with the same ideas over a weekend at a survivalist camp at their own expense. I'd take them much more seriously if their argument was that militarily Kansas doesn't have defensible borders and therefore needs more guns, than say Colorado (now the land of pot and gun laws).

Steven Gaudreau 1 year ago

I'm confused by 2nd Ammendment Advocates. I have yet to hear about anyone taking away your guns or your right to buy guns. Some guns should be illegal just like a sawed off shotgun is illegal as is automoatics assault rifles. The slippery slope argument could be applied to any law passed so it does not hold up for me. Passing laws will not save anyone from being murdered by a mentally ill person just like stricker dui laws did not stop dui fatality rates which peaked in 2008. Let them pass all the laws they want so everyone has a false sense of security, you will still have your guns.

JohnBrown 1 year ago

What we need are some strict constructionist supreme court justices that will interpret the 2nd amendment the way it was supposed to be: NOBODY can take your flintlocks; and anybody that owns one can get drafted!!!

JohnBrown

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year ago

"In addition, schools, colleges and local governments couldn't ban concealed guns without security measures in place."

I believe that's what is known as an unfunded mandate.

oldexbeat 1 year ago

guns can be held, rubbed, and stroked. Sorta like other body part. People understand touching stuff. People clearly don't understand freedom of speech or separation of church and state. They just understand Things. Not Ideas. The terriorist have won. The rest is going to be stupid people running around with their steel toys.

KS 1 year ago

The LJW needs to start charging for access to make comments and all these dumb remarks would go away.

uncleandyt 1 year ago

OK,....... this'll work. We'll tell our guns that they are in charge. We're gonna need a new flag. Something cool ! I've got all kinds of ideas ! We can still claim to love America a little bit. Let's eat. I'm hungry. Are you hungry? Freedom !!! Turns out , Guns aren't stupid. I am. Wanting peace and safety and truth and justice, I'm in the way of the way. Sorry. Let's all write some fat checks to ALEC so that they can get to work on more of our goodly needs.

Agnostick 1 year ago

Were I a federal agent being served a "charge" by some county mounty or local yokel, I would politely smile, politely take their little piece of paper... and the politely look for the nearest latrine, restroom, or outhouse.

bbohning 1 year ago

The first law referenced would not be ruled unconstitutional out of hand. The law has been narrowly written as to provide the State with an argument that would be consistent with the federal coercion ruling that was part of the overall NFIB v. Sebelius ruling last June.

On an editorial note: I will never understand people who whine and complain about a legislative body's policy choices being against their will as if they were expecting something different to happen. This is Kansas and you're a liberal. It's never going to match up for you, so why work yourself into a frenzy? Enjoy your liberal oasis of the Oread where just about everyone thinks like you do, diversity of opinion is dormant, and capitalism can never shed its training wheels. Stop worrying about what the Legislature with a Senate that has 8 Democrats in a 40 person body and and a House of Representatives with 33 Democrats in a 125 person body is doing or not doing. Your blood pressure and crocodile tear ducts will thank you for the break you'll be giving them.

indrid_cold 1 year ago

The Kansas horizon truly is rectangular.

ILikeTurtles 1 year ago

I will never give up my right to bear arms!

Missingit 1 year ago

KK should only be allowed to speak when spoken too and never on television, radio or internet. I have been to numerous basketball games and no one has shot at the other team or their players. The rest of your argument I don't follow? If you don't like being around guns then when a person does not like being around cars we should ban cars? Perhaps if someone hates vegetables we should ban those?

UneasyRider 1 year ago

Kansas, as dumb as rest of world thinks. Loved what Kansas once was, hate what Kansas has become. Thanks Brownback and Tea Party.

grandnanny 1 year ago

What about my right to go to a basketball game and not be surrounded by people with guns all caught up in the competition. What about the right of my daughter who is a teacher not to have a parent with a concealed weapon at parent teacher conferences?
Why does a gun get more rights than I do? Why does KK get to voice his opinion about anything? He is Sec of State - his only job is to oversee elections.

Missingit 1 year ago

I am a fan of iamright.com or youare wrong.org

Missingit 1 year ago

no, I just don't get all my info from rense.com

Missingit 1 year ago

I was actually against some parts of the Patriot Act. Shockingly I was not against all the parts of ObamaCare either. Buts thanks for asking

ThePilgrim 1 year ago

Passing these bills is no different than the Left passing their bills. If the Constitution is sacrosanct then why pass these bills?

And for a State worker to try to arrest a Fed? HA!

Missingit 1 year ago

We can hire Snake Plisken to go to Topeka for us as well

Missingit 1 year ago

While most of my weapon systems seem to be on back order and I had to scale back some of my future purchases to buy healthcare. The Second Amendment still seems to have relevance to me. If a government can vote to abolish or significantly modify one of the amendments to the bill of rights, which amendment will next be changed for the benefit of others? The 1st Amendement? I believe this bill is ridiculous. But i was raised on the Constitution, I pledged allegiance to the flag. I believe in those rights. While guns kill people so do knives. Look at China for proof of people going into schools and stabbing children. If we are banning things that are harmful lets get rid of tobacco, alcohol, cars and Mizzouri as well.

mikekt 1 year ago

First they are going to take away your aircraft carriers and your nuclear attack submarines, your aegis cruisers and linked destroyers ( not to mention your nuclear land based missels ) , then they will be back for your B 2 stealth bombers and your B - 52s , next they'll want your stealth fighter bombers, your f-22 raptors, your F - 16s, your F- 15s, your A -10 warthogs, all of your smart bombs, cluster bombs, bunker buster bombs and cruise missiles .

But wait,...... there is more !!!

Then they will want to take away all of your attack helicopters, your M1A1 tanks, your bradley fighting vehicles, your transport and supply trucks, your rocket propelled grenades, your hummers, your field artillery and multiple rocket launchers, air defense systems, your combat body armor,.......etc..

......AND YOU'LL BE LEFT WITH ONLY AN AUTOMATIC ASAULT RIFEL WITH A BANANNA CLIP TO FIGHT OFF SOME FUTURE REPRESSIVE DICTATORIAL GOVERNMENT FROM THE SANCTITY OF YOUR DOOR STEP, WITH YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT GUN ......AND NO REAL MAGOR WEAPONS SYSTEMS !!!!!

Once apron a time, long, long ago, the SECOND AMENDMENT had real relevance ( you hid behind a tree, people with bright red coats came marching down the road and you shot them ).

The most dangerous and real weapon that you have today, to keep dictators away from your door, is your vote .

Judging from recent local election returns, 84% of the public doesn't realize that they are armed with a very powerful weapon against tyranny....... or they are not worried about about that possibility,...... and maybe even think that the rest of us who did vote are paranoid or nuts,.............because they rationalize that the real voting gets done by the lobbyists thru whomever we elect .

elliottaw 1 year ago

This state is run by complete morons

fiddleback 1 year ago

LJW really needs additional disclaimers next to these headlines before you click, something to the effect of "Warning: Story Contains Crushing Updates On Psychotic Nonsense Destined to Become State Law"...or, more classically, "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here..."

That way I wouldn't further ruin my day by inadvertently forcing myself to acknowledge that this avalanche of stupidity will continue totally unobstructed until at least 2014.

KansasLiberal 1 year ago

Why is it that the 2nd Amendment is the only part of the Constitution that republicans care about?

somebodynew 1 year ago

"Supporters of the change said it was agreed to by the attorney general's office and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach."

Just why the H*** does anyone care what KK thinks about this ???? This has nothing to do with an election or registering a business in the State of Kansas - It should make no difference if he "agrees" with it or not. I hope people are taking notice just how much he likes to get his nose into things he doesn't belong in - and really not care about the things he should.

This entire section of this law is unconstitutional and if anyone is stupid enough to try to enforce it, it will cost the State $$$$$$$. But I guess we have plenty of that since we are trying to give everybody (except the regular working people) tax breaks.