Stars of sitcoms past appear in something new that feels very old. “How to Live With Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)” (8:30 p.m., ABC) stars Sarah Chalke (“Roseanne,” “Scrubs”) as Polly, a sensible wife and mother who abandons her goofy, irresponsible husband, Julian (Jon Dore), to move back with her middle-aged but free-spirited parents, Max and Elaine (Brad Garrett, “Everybody Loves Raymond,” and Elizabeth Perkins, “Weeds”).
Polly’s parents’ eccentricities are told in a series of flashbacks narrated by their exasperated daughter. Hedonists who never left the 1970s, they speak freely about the “key party” orgies of their youth. Elaine describes her youthful promiscuity as a point of pride. The habit of sharing too much information reaches a dreadful extreme when Elaine describes the aesthetic effects of Max’s testicular cancer surgery.
• The new reality series “Forever Young” (9 p.m., TV Land) features groups of 20-somethings and septuagenarians learning to collaborate during a scavenger hunt.
• Fans of “Doctor Who” star David Tennant can catch him in the costume-drama espionage-thriller miniseries “Spies of Warsaw” (8 p.m., BBC America, concludes next Wednesday). He’s an aristocrat, wounded veteran and French diplomat who falls madly for a married Parisian lawyer (Janet Montgomery) on the eve of World War II. Their complex efforts to ferret out secrets from German informants take a backseat to romantic melodrama and fancy clothes.
Tonight’s other highlights
• Finalists sing from the classic rock songbook on “American Idol” (7 p.m., Fox).
• Down for the count on “Arrow” (7 p.m., CW).
• A vision of the future on “Modern Family” (8 p.m., ABC).
• “NOVA” (8 p.m., PBS) examines the discovery of a 2,000-year-old astronomical calculator, considered the earliest “computer.”
• A SWAT team arrives on “Boston’s Finest” (8 p.m., TNT).
• Prisoners escape, sending the city into turmoil on “Bomb Girls” (8 p.m., Reelz).
• A killer in the forest on “CSI” (9 p.m., CBS).
• A rookie to train on “Chicago Fire” (9 p.m., NBC).
— Copyright 2013 United Feature Syndicate, distributed by Universal Uclick.