Archive for Tuesday, April 2, 2013

KU freshman Rio Adams to transfer

Self seeking ‘immediate impact’ players in spring signing period

Kansas freshman guard Rio Adams watches second-half action from the bench during the Jayhawks’ home game against TCU on Feb. 23, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse. On Tuesday, April 2, Adams announced on Twitter that he will transfer from KU.

April 2, 2013, 9:19 p.m. Updated April 3, 2013, 12:00 a.m.

Kansas University freshman guard Rio Adams announced on Twitter Tuesday night that he will be leaving KU.

“I’m transferring to another school and will be getting released Tomorrow.... I love this team no matter what !!! I’ve learned a lot here!!” Adams said on his @WarLordRio Twitter account, which disappeared later Tuesday night.

Shortly after the tweet was posted, KU coach Bill Self confirmed to the Journal-World that Adams was transferring.

“He is leaving. He will get his release tomorrow,” Self said.

Adams, a 6-foot-3 guard from Seattle, on various occasions this season expressed his displeasure with playing time on Twitter and Facebook. Adams, who has not yet revealed his future school, scored 27 points while playing in 24 games. He hit 10 of 25 shots, including two of five threes. He was 5-of-13 from the free-throw line with six assists against 11 turnovers.

Not done recruiting: Self, who has signed ESPN’s No. 3-ranked high school basketball recruiting class entering the April 17-May 15 spring signing period, says he and his assistants are not finished in their pursuit of players.

“Immediate impact,” Self said Tuesday, asked what he’s looking for on the recruiting trail. “We could probably sign a couple more.”

KU, which has signed No. 25-ranked (Rivals.com) Brannen Greene, No. 26 Wayne Selden, No. 31 Conner Frankamp, No. 37 Joel Embiid and No. 134 Frank Mason, is still in the hunt for No. 1-rated Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep who is considering KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. He and Selden will be playing in today’s McDonald’s All-American game, set for an 8:30 p.m., start on ESPN.

The Jayhawks, whose class is ranked behind Kentucky and Memphis, have two scholarships left to give, three if freshman guard Ben McLemore heads to the NBA.

Most expect the 6-foot-5 McLemore to declare for the draft sometime next week after the players conduct their end-of-the-season meetings with Self.

Self on Tuesday confirmed the fact McLemore is on campus and in class following KU’s season-ending loss to Michigan on Friday night.

McLemore and senior Jeff Withey on Tuesday were named consensus second-team All-Americans (Sporting News, Basketball Writers, AP, NABC).

“I’m really happy for Ben and Jeff,” Self said. “Both had great years. Both are very deserving.”

Tape hasn’t been viewed: Self said he hadn’t watched a replay of Friday’s season-ending overtime loss to Michigan.

“I’m not going to watch it. I very rarely watch the last game. I’ve probably only watched a couple of them, unless it ended in a win,” Self said. “I won’t watch this one. I’ve replayed it in my head, like I’m sure all the players have of what happened and what went wrong. We probably had to have six, seven things go wrong in the last minute, minute-and-a-half. They had to have a lot of things go right. It certainly played out that way.”

Meetings ahead: Self, who is a member of the NABC Board of Directors, will attend some of the Final Four later this week. He said that, as of Tuesday, he’s not accepted any overtures from national TV networks to work as an analyst or panelist.

“I don’t think I can be there the whole time, but I will certainly attend several meetings,” Self said. “There are things required of everybody on different boards. It’s a week I wish I wouldn’t be going to any meetings. I wish I could be coaching my team.”

Comments

Armen Kurdian 1 year ago

We've had guys leave due to playing time before...he can go to a number of schools and be a starter. Same was true for Tyrone Appleton. Can't remember where he went or if he started, though. Ben Davis & David Padgett didn't fit here and fit fine other places. So long as they stay in school and get better. Rio doesn't have real ground to be upset...he earned his place in the rotation and probably didn't see playing time going up next year. Shake it off Rio, follow your heart and become a better player. Good luck!

rgh 1 year ago

Rio must still be popping off about KU. Naadir tweeted recently for him to chill out and it was well after Rio announced he was leaving.

rgh 1 year ago

Rio would have been a very good player had he been able to tough it out and work his butt off like others have done at KU. He probably thought he was the one-and-done type and wasn't. After shooting his mouth off about playing time on Twitter, you could about see this coming. I do wish you luck but also know you could have very possibly been a part of an NCAA championship had you stayed here.

Shane Garrett 1 year ago

Good Luck Rio. An "Amicable " decision. Sorry to see you go. I wanted to watch you drop 50 on a team some day.

CWGOKU 1 year ago

I'll miss the turnovers

jazzttt 1 year ago

This surprised me a little bit...Hey, Bill, we're behind you 100%, but you learn from watching your team's mistakes and improve, not in confirming what you did right in a game you won. Could have done a lot better vs UM, still can't watch the last 10 minutes myself, but I'm not a coach. Good luck Rio, thanks for all the effort you put in, will be behind the team all the way next season.

LeBo 1 year ago

Next stop Gonzaga?

Scut Farkus 1 year ago

This surprised me a little bit. Early this year I posted that he would never leave, given how he witnessed the advantages of staying through the current class of seniors. At the very least , a red shirt year, but I didn't think he would transfer. If I'm not mistaken, he will still have to sit out next year.

webmocker 1 year ago

Does anyone here know offhand if any players who transferred out during the Self era have gone on to the NBA?

msezdsit 1 year ago

No question I would have like to see him play more but the writing was on the wall that he was never happy hear. Well, actually , the writing was on twitter. Hope he has good shot with another club and finds true happiness. When our weakness turned out to be our guards you have to think this kid should have gotten more opportunities. I think he (or self) developed a rift and he was probably doomed for that.

With two guards leaving he should have had a chance at considerable playing time if he had stayed.

Good Luck Rio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jonas_opines 1 year ago

No surprise here. Hope he goes somewhere where he fits.

bballwizard 1 year ago

Rio was better than Tharpe and Eljiah but never got a shot. If we don't get wiggins we are in trouble next year

Robert Rauktis 1 year ago

I'd think someone out there would recognize the WarLord's potential.

thebcman 1 year ago

good luck finding a better program, dude.