Archive for Tuesday, April 2, 2013

KU freshman Rio Adams to transfer

Self seeking ‘immediate impact’ players in spring signing period

Kansas freshman guard Rio Adams watches second-half action from the bench during the Jayhawks’ home game against TCU on Feb. 23, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse. On Tuesday, April 2, Adams announced on Twitter that he will transfer from KU.

April 2, 2013, 9:19 p.m. Updated April 3, 2013, 12:00 a.m.

Kansas University freshman guard Rio Adams announced on Twitter Tuesday night that he will be leaving KU.

“I’m transferring to another school and will be getting released Tomorrow.... I love this team no matter what !!! I’ve learned a lot here!!” Adams said on his @WarLordRio Twitter account, which disappeared later Tuesday night.

Shortly after the tweet was posted, KU coach Bill Self confirmed to the Journal-World that Adams was transferring.

“He is leaving. He will get his release tomorrow,” Self said.

Adams, a 6-foot-3 guard from Seattle, on various occasions this season expressed his displeasure with playing time on Twitter and Facebook. Adams, who has not yet revealed his future school, scored 27 points while playing in 24 games. He hit 10 of 25 shots, including two of five threes. He was 5-of-13 from the free-throw line with six assists against 11 turnovers.

Not done recruiting: Self, who has signed ESPN’s No. 3-ranked high school basketball recruiting class entering the April 17-May 15 spring signing period, says he and his assistants are not finished in their pursuit of players.

“Immediate impact,” Self said Tuesday, asked what he’s looking for on the recruiting trail. “We could probably sign a couple more.”

KU, which has signed No. 25-ranked (Rivals.com) Brannen Greene, No. 26 Wayne Selden, No. 31 Conner Frankamp, No. 37 Joel Embiid and No. 134 Frank Mason, is still in the hunt for No. 1-rated Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7 forward from Huntington (W.Va.) Prep who is considering KU, Kentucky, North Carolina and Florida State. He and Selden will be playing in today’s McDonald’s All-American game, set for an 8:30 p.m., start on ESPN.

The Jayhawks, whose class is ranked behind Kentucky and Memphis, have two scholarships left to give, three if freshman guard Ben McLemore heads to the NBA.

Most expect the 6-foot-5 McLemore to declare for the draft sometime next week after the players conduct their end-of-the-season meetings with Self.

Self on Tuesday confirmed the fact McLemore is on campus and in class following KU’s season-ending loss to Michigan on Friday night.

McLemore and senior Jeff Withey on Tuesday were named consensus second-team All-Americans (Sporting News, Basketball Writers, AP, NABC).

“I’m really happy for Ben and Jeff,” Self said. “Both had great years. Both are very deserving.”

Tape hasn’t been viewed: Self said he hadn’t watched a replay of Friday’s season-ending overtime loss to Michigan.

“I’m not going to watch it. I very rarely watch the last game. I’ve probably only watched a couple of them, unless it ended in a win,” Self said. “I won’t watch this one. I’ve replayed it in my head, like I’m sure all the players have of what happened and what went wrong. We probably had to have six, seven things go wrong in the last minute, minute-and-a-half. They had to have a lot of things go right. It certainly played out that way.”

Meetings ahead: Self, who is a member of the NABC Board of Directors, will attend some of the Final Four later this week. He said that, as of Tuesday, he’s not accepted any overtures from national TV networks to work as an analyst or panelist.

“I don’t think I can be there the whole time, but I will certainly attend several meetings,” Self said. “There are things required of everybody on different boards. It’s a week I wish I wouldn’t be going to any meetings. I wish I could be coaching my team.”

Comments

Robert Rauktis 1 year, 8 months ago

I'd think someone out there would recognize the WarLord's potential.

bballwizard 1 year, 8 months ago

Rio was better than Tharpe and Eljiah but never got a shot. If we don't get wiggins we are in trouble next year

shleppy 1 year, 8 months ago

oh ye of little faith, i trust completely in hcbs ability. you also missed the part about the #3 recruiting class, if we land wiggins we are #1.

Brady Swenson 1 year, 8 months ago

Kentucky will keep the number 1 recruiting class even if we land Wiggins. They have 5 of the top 11 ranked recruits. It may be the most highly rated class ever, certainly the best since the Fab 5.

rgh 1 year, 8 months ago

Would agree. We'll move up to #2 if we get Wiggins and he'll make more of an impact at KU than UK but either way we'll be fine. Cal keeps getting the #1 classes and has only 1 championship to his name. The same number as Bill Self with lesser talent.

rgh 1 year, 8 months ago

You have to prove yourself every single day in practice then use your time well in games which he didn't. Some make the most of their opportunities and some gripe and leave and we haven't missed them yet. Micah Downs, David Padgett, etc., etc., etc. We'll be okay but not great no matter what after you lose all 5 starters. Perry and Tharpe have proven themselves and Traylor will help if he improves his offensive game. We won't go from champs to chumps like UK did even though they had the 2012-2013 #1 class.

jonas_opines 1 year, 8 months ago

No surprise here. Hope he goes somewhere where he fits.

msezdsit 1 year, 8 months ago

No question I would have like to see him play more but the writing was on the wall that he was never happy hear. Well, actually , the writing was on twitter. Hope he has good shot with another club and finds true happiness. When our weakness turned out to be our guards you have to think this kid should have gotten more opportunities. I think he (or self) developed a rift and he was probably doomed for that.

With two guards leaving he should have had a chance at considerable playing time if he had stayed.

Good Luck Rio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fearthephog512 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree with you, but I also think Self gave him a handful of chances. More often than not, when Rio was in the game he was either selfish or turned the ball over. I would have liked him to stay, but I don't think we are in any trouble.

Good luck, Rio!

webmocker 1 year, 8 months ago

Does anyone here know offhand if any players who transferred out during the Self era have gone on to the NBA?

webmocker 1 year, 8 months ago

Oooooh, so clever. That's why I said know offhand. There are a lot of fans here who might know in a second and be willing to share. And then there's you.

Michael Bennett 1 year, 8 months ago

J.R. Giddens comes to mind. He transferred to New Mexico and got drafted late 1st/ early 2nd I believe. 2008 maybe? I don't think he's still in the NBA

jhawkinsf 1 year, 8 months ago

Micah Downs is currently playing in the D-League for the Maine Red Claws and played in the D-League All-Star Game.

tyson travis 1 year, 8 months ago

This surprised me a little bit...Hey, Bill, we're behind you 100%, but you learn from watching your team's mistakes and improve, not in confirming what you did right in a game you won. Could have done a lot better vs UM, still can't watch the last 10 minutes myself, but I'm not a coach. Good luck Rio, thanks for all the effort you put in, will be behind the team all the way next season.

martyks 1 year, 8 months ago

Kind of a dumb statement here since that team is no more... especially THIS team. They're all gone. Why watch it? No one spends more time and energy analyzing film than the KU coaches and assistants. No one! Now, true, Self could possibly learn something such as, "There's a time to give up on someone." Thing is, I thought he should have given up on TT and I was flat out totally wrong about that one. I held out hope for EJ until he blew this last game up all on his own. I think his nickname could be IED now. That was the worst tournament performance of any guard in the history of basketball, from the crotch shot in the beginning to the choke pass at the buzzer. When someone is making it his business to blow a game up like that, Coach Self should recognize it and have a plan B.

Shane Garrett 1 year, 8 months ago

Good Luck Rio. An "Amicable " decision. Sorry to see you go. I wanted to watch you drop 50 on a team some day.

rgh 1 year, 8 months ago

Rio would have been a very good player had he been able to tough it out and work his butt off like others have done at KU. He probably thought he was the one-and-done type and wasn't. After shooting his mouth off about playing time on Twitter, you could about see this coming. I do wish you luck but also know you could have very possibly been a part of an NCAA championship had you stayed here.

rgh 1 year, 8 months ago

Rio must still be popping off about KU. Naadir tweeted recently for him to chill out and it was well after Rio announced he was leaving.

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 8 months ago

We've had guys leave due to playing time before...he can go to a number of schools and be a starter. Same was true for Tyrone Appleton. Can't remember where he went or if he started, though. Ben Davis & David Padgett didn't fit here and fit fine other places. So long as they stay in school and get better. Rio doesn't have real ground to be upset...he earned his place in the rotation and probably didn't see playing time going up next year. Shake it off Rio, follow your heart and become a better player. Good luck!