Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Two pedestrians, including child, 3, suffer minor injuries after being struck by car on Iowa Street

April 1, 2013, 3:56 p.m. Updated April 1, 2013, 4:56 p.m.

Two people, including a 3-year-old child, suffered minor injuries after being struck by a vehicle while crossing Iowa Street this afternoon.

The accident occurred about 12:30 p.m. Monday in the crosswalk on the north side of the intersection of 25th and Iowa Streets, said Sgt. Trent McKinley, a Lawrence Police Department spokesman. The child and an adult were walking east across Iowa Street when an eastbound vehicle struck them while turning north onto Iowa Street, McKinley said. Witnesses told police the traffic signal had flashed "walk" for the pedestrians.

Police had not publicly identified either the pedestrians or the driver Monday afternoon. Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical Chief Mark Bradford said the pedestrians suffered minor injuries.

Comments

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

poor kid. wishes for a speedy recovery.

Nikki May 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't know where exactly this happened, but in the defense of the crosswalk: The Pisano's side of 25th and Iowa IS the 2400 block of Iowa.

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes, the accident occurred in the crosswalk at 25th and Iowa. I've clarified that above. Thanks, Ian Cummings LJW.

Wayne James 1 year, 4 months ago

Would you really WALK two blocks north to cross Iowa if you were not going to patronize the businesses on 23rd...especially if your destination was SOUTH of 25th?

Wayne James 1 year, 4 months ago

A pedestrian has the RIGHT OF WAY at ALL intersections and MARKED CROSSWALKS. KSA Chapter 55. Can't call the exact statute, but every driver should read it. So consequently the pedestrians had the right to cross ( the highway) at a time when there were no motor vehicles approaching from either direction and it is safe to do so. The driver making the turn is at fault since he was making a movrment other than going straight ahead.

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

Crossing at 23rd and Iowa is much worse in my experience. Nobody is looking out for pedestrians there.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 4 months ago

I've seen this a million times, especially when riding my bicycle. A driver looks towards oncoming traffic, looking for a break so they might enter. The driver never looks the other way to see if pedestrians or bicyclists are present. All they ever saw was what they looked for, which was a break in oncoming traffic.

gccs14r 1 year, 4 months ago

I've seen drivers look straight at a pedestrian and gas it, daring the pedestrian to try to exercise his right of way. I've seen two in the last month, the most recent example being at 19th & Haskell with a guy cutting off a family with a stroller.

Wayne James 1 year, 4 months ago

THE NEXT TIME YOU SEE THIS TYPE OF RUDNESS, BY ALL MEANS GET THE TAG NUMBER & REPORT IT. MAYBE THE leo'S WILL FIND HIM AND GIVE HIM A STERN WARNING. Or if you see exactly who is driving the car, report him/her and be ready to sign the traffic ticket, in essence make A CITIZENS ARREST.

gccs14r 1 year, 4 months ago

LOL. The cops can't even be bothered to use their turn signals in this town and you think they're going to chase down a crosswalk ROW violator on someone's say-so? Besides, if I called in every moving violation I saw every day I'd be on one continuous conversation with dispatch every time I got in the car.

1 year, 4 months ago

Pedestrians need to understand that they may have the right away but that doesn't mean it is safe to cross. Watch out for the drivers that do not see you or who are not paying attention. Keep your head up and watch out.

1 year, 4 months ago

The responsibility is on the driver but I see too many pedestrians trusting that the driver will yield and just put their head down and march across the street. Sometimes the driver is a moron and sometimes they just don't see the pedestrian but in either case if they hit the pedestrian it is the pedestrian that is going to suffer so doesn't it make sense to watch out for the bad driver?

1 year, 4 months ago

Right so if there are moron drivers out there doesn't it make sense to watch out for the?

frankfussman 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't think the problem is "the responsibility of the pedestrian", but rather everyone should be careful, and check around you in traffic in order not to be injured in an accident. Why not be vigilant?

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

I don' read what Mr Mertz wrote as saying that at all.

Beth Ennis 1 year, 4 months ago

Mr. Mertz hit the nail on the head. He isn't saying it is the pedestrian's responsibility at all. BUT, it is excellent advice. We have taught our grandkids to always make sure you have eye contact with a car if you get a crossing light and a car is approaching. Not because it would be their fault if they got hit, but because in a collision between a vehicle and a pedestrian the vehicle wins. EVERY TIME! Would you rather be dead right than cautious? It's just common sense.

1 year, 4 months ago

Show me where I said the person on foot bears the real burden of responsibility. I said just the opposite. My only point was I see so many people walking across the street with their head down, chatting with friends and not paying attention. Yes, they have the right of way, yes it is the responsibility of the driver not to hit them but they are the ones that will be injured or die if the driver does hit them. So it makes sense to assume that the crosswalk is dangerous and that you have to be vigilant against the moron driver or just the poor sap who makes a mistake. Now tell me what is wrong with encouraging people to be careful so that tragedies might be avoided. Yes, all can't be, but some can.

1 year, 4 months ago

A driver can be careful but sometimes the sun creates a glare, another driver swerves distracting them and so one. Sometimes it is an accident which doesn't relieve the driver of the responsibility but that doesn't make it better for the pedestrian that got hit. Walking, while in the street is dangerous. It was just the other day that I was crossing the street when a driver didn't yield to me. I was watching and stopped. Why they didn't see me is a mystery. They were looking ahead but just didn't see me. They mouthed an apology but it was a good thing one of us was paying attention. I care about pedestrians especially the young ones so I will continue to caution pedestrians to be careful and not assume the driver is going to yield. If walking wasn't dangerous people wouldn't be hospitalized or killed while doing it.

1 year, 4 months ago

How did it work well? Obviously you don't drive or you would know that you can be blinded by the sun or oncoming lights.

1 year, 4 months ago

Wow if you read between the anger you almost make sense in this post.

repaste 1 year, 4 months ago

The anger comes from our lives and our friend's lives being threatened. It is personal. Us pedestrians/ cyclists just need to remember that we are drivers too. "The sun in my eyes" is true, but cannot be used as an excuse. When driving we must strive to use sunglasses, visors, speed, and judgement to minimize its impact. All of us are that imbecile sometime.

1 year, 4 months ago

Oh geez, bikers are far worse than pedestrians....lol

mom_of_three 1 year, 4 months ago

Okay, people. If the people above were in a crosswalk, as it indicates they were and they crossing at the proper time, it is the fault of the car.
If they were crossing at the wrong time, then it is partially their fault.

But if a person is crossing 23rd street in the middle of the block, coming behind the bus, then a car cannot stop in time. people have to be smart. Cars do not stop on a dime. there are laws for pedestrians as well.

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

Many years ago, I moved from the LA area to Emporia. Oh my! If you stepped off a curb into a crosswalk around LA, even ones with no signals, cars half a block away were slamming on their brakes. In Emporia, right in front of the university, one could barely get across the street in the crosswalks. The crosswalks might as well have not been there because you had to wait until the traffic was clear and then run fast.

I imagine the difference is in enforcement and the price of a ticket.

1 year, 4 months ago

Haha.....brings back memories. I moved in the opposite direction and was prepared to do the "frogged" when crossing a busy LA street. Imagine my surprise and confusion when traffic stopped for me.

gccs14r 1 year, 4 months ago

I move my head from side to side when preparing to turn so that I can see behind the A-pillar blind spots.

Ron Holzwarth 1 year, 4 months ago

I have to do that. I've noticed that a Ford Explorer is invisible in a certain location if it's about 100 feet away.

Beth Ennis 1 year, 4 months ago

great pictures and post. Also, if the car was coming from behind, the child may have stumbled, or stopped to pick something up or anything else (or it could have been the adult too) and if they didn't see a car behind them, and the car thought they were going to continue to walk....well, that is another way it COULD have happened. All speculation, but its also another reason why a car shouldn't even begin the turn until the crosswalk is clear. I hate "creepers", who just keep inching forward, within inches of the pedestrian. They don't know you are going to stop. Some people are just inpatient and always in a hurry.

Robert Rauktis 1 year, 4 months ago

If the the rock hits the bottle or the bottle hits the rock, it's still bad for the bottle, no matter if the bottle's got a court case. Why mom taught look both ways, even if you can afford a cell phone.

been_there 1 year, 4 months ago

Go talk to any crossing guard in the city, they'll have stories that you will leave you shaking your head.

repaste 1 year, 4 months ago

Broken record that will continue to escalate. We are becoming more insulated in our cars, we are dis-engaging from world while driving, on auto-pilot while behind the wheel.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

Just a small correction:

Iowa Street runs east-west, so you can't cross it going east, and a driver can't turn north onto it. It would be the other way around.

gccs14r 1 year, 4 months ago

Iowa is a north-south street.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

See below.

And, for the record, I have a "safe driving discount" with my insurance company.

msezdsit 1 year, 4 months ago

you got one of those plug in things or are you hooked up with the lizard.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

I finally got that, at least a little bit.

State Farm, for a long time now.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

My bad - forgive me. No excuse, just a brain fart.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

That's a pretty big chip on your shoulder there - must get heavy.

How on earth a simple mistake in my post would equate with a driver hitting pedestrians is beyond me.

And, I'll reiterate that I have a safe driving discount with my insurance company.

08Champs 1 year, 4 months ago

A passing motorist indicated that they pedestrian may have been in a wheelchair. Before the police arrived, he witnessed parts of what appeared to be a wheelchair in the road. SO - let's hold off on the texting while walking, etc., ok?

Carol Bowen 1 year, 4 months ago

Texting while walking should be jaywalking.

Carol Bowen 1 year, 4 months ago

Right turns on red are very hazards for pedestrians. The driver is looking away from pedestrians while watching for a break in traffic. The most blatant lack to yield that I have seen was in front of the courthouse with police cars in view. In fact, any intersection on downtown Mass has problems with turning vehicles failing to yield to pedestrians.

In the 1970s, right turn on red was promoted as a gas and fuel emissions savings. Now, right turn on red has become a designated turn lane.

gilly 1 year, 4 months ago

Right turn on red means that no one ever stops at an intersection anymore--vehicles come in all directions, and a pedestrian is lucky if a driver even taps the brakes. And there's a strong tendency for drivers to glance for vehicles only, and in one direction only. Pedestrians may have right of way at intersections and crosswalks and green lights and walk signs--but our culture presumes that everyone should be in a vehicle, so few drivers--so many young and inexperienced drivers, but older ones who should know better, too--so few register the presence of pedestrians, and even when they do register into awareness there's a presumption that might holds over law. The will of the City of Lawrence to enforce the rules of the roads to promote pedestrian safety isn't here, either, or there would be real consequences to not paying attention, and real consequences to bullying flesh and blood with a 2-ton vehicle.