Archive for Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Man using West Middle School track collapses, dies

September 25, 2012

A man collapsed Tuesday afternoon at the West Middle School track and later died, according to an email sent by Julie Boyle, Lawrence Public Schools spokeswoman.

It was not a student or a staff member, Boyle said.

The man was believed to be in his 30s, according to Sgt. Trent McKinley, Lawrence police spokesman.

School personnel called 911 about 2 p.m. after the man who was using the track collapsed, Boyle said. No students were in the area when it occurred, but some students may have seen medical personnel arriving at the school.

Boyle said it’s not unusual for community members to use the track at the school.

Parents of students are being notified through a calling list, and school counselors will be available if needed, Boyle said.

Wesley Willis 4 years, 1 month ago

Real sad. My sincere condolences to the mans family.

Rick Aldrich 4 years, 1 month ago

This was my son-in-laws brother and it was tragic news to hear we lost such a your great person to our Business and Family community. all my wife's and my prayers are with his family and friends. R.I.P.

aprilreno 4 years, 1 month ago

Brian was a good man. Please pray for his 3 young children.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Please wait until LJW makes sure it's okay with family to post his full name. It's possible they all don't know about it, yet.

aprilreno 4 years, 1 month ago

I think his family deserves some privacy. So I’m not going to post his last name.

bornon7 4 years, 1 month ago

You said his first name. Maybe you shouldn't have said that much.

Liberty275 4 years ago

Sorry to hear about that. I hope the family is holding up ok.

Klumma 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh, no. This is very sad. If, from the post above, this was a father of three!?

Kent Fisher 4 years, 1 month ago

Brian was a good man, and we were honored to know him briefly as he coached my daughter's softball team this summer. We are praying for his family.

Jeanne Cunningham 4 years ago

If you are trying to figure out if this is someone you know, here's a method that I learned through genealogical/family research: Most mortuaries have their obituaries posted long before the newspapers do. Since there are generally only a few mortuaries in most towns/cities (except large metropolitan cities), if you Google whateverthetownnameis mortuary and go to each one's web site, you can usually find information sooner. For this one, just try Warren McElwain. I found enough information to know that I, personally, did not know the man. My condolences to his family and friends, nonetheless.

alm77 4 years ago

Thank you for this information. It helped me know I needed to reach out to a friend I haven't seen in a while and offer my condolences.

Liberty275 4 years ago

What a horrible thing to happen. My condolences to all that knew the man.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Call your mom and tell her you love her, hug your children and tell them you love them, your spouse too.

Life is a fragile thread, and we're always walking in the shadow of death. Our lives could end at any moment.

Enjoy the time that it hasn't to it's fullest.