Archive for Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bike tour to explore East Lawrence

September 25, 2012

The Watkins Community Museum is hosting a bike tour of East Lawrence from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Oct. 20.

The tour will explore the history of the city’s oldest established neighborhood and the architecture and culture of the area. Stops will be made at historic buildings, including a visit to the Free State Brewery bottling plant.

Participants must be at least 15 years old and have a bike capable of traveling on brick streets. The tour is a recreational ride, and pre-tour tire and brake checks will be provided by Sunflower Outdoor & Bike Shop. The cost is $20 per participant or $10 for Douglas County Historical Society members.

To register or for more information, contact the Watkins Museum at 785-841-4109 or email reservations@watkinsmuseum.org.

Comments

oneflewover 2 years, 2 months ago

I think these tours are great. Back in elementary school we did a walking tour of old west Lawrence and I remember many things to this day. Tire and brake checks?.... give me a break. Sounds like a marketing ploy.

Abby Magariel 2 years, 2 months ago

I'd like to clarify this: the museum approached Sunflower about providing these checks, and the staff graciously agreed to provide them.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 2 months ago

Pissing in your and everyone else's cornflakes again, eh, consumer1?

Curtis Martell 2 years, 2 months ago

What in the hell are you talking about? It's a bike tour not the Tour de France. Why don't you come along it will be fun.

local_support 2 years, 2 months ago

Bicycle registration is not mandatory in the city of Lawrence, so there's a little less tinkle for ya.

kawrivercrow 2 years, 2 months ago

Every post I've ever read from you reeks of a bitter old man on the stoop of a single wide.

local_support 2 years, 2 months ago

No problem. However I now wonder why you want to remedy something like that. I've gotten the sense from your other postings around here that you feel less government regulation is better. Truly not trying to be patronizing, just genuinely curious.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 2 months ago

Glad to know there's no bicycle registration. I've been riding for a very long time without mine being registered.

Curtis Martell 2 years, 2 months ago

Why do we need to register all the bicycles in Lawrence? It would be like registering lawn mowers. Is there a problem with bicycles requiring government action here?

kef104 2 years, 2 months ago

I believe the thought is that it would be easier to trace stolen bicycles back to their owners.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 2 months ago

I think the main reason for the registration is so that when your bike gets stolen, the police can tell you the reason they can't find the thief or your bike is because you haven't registered it (and not because they can't be bothered to investigate.)