Archive for Thursday, September 20, 2012

Vigil in South Park to honor Americans slain in Libya

September 20, 2012

A candlelight vigil honoring U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans who were also killed last week at the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, will be tonight in South Park, 1200 Mass.

The vigil, sponsored by Kansas University’s Arab Student Union, will begin at 7 p.m. Participants are asked to bring their own candles.

Comments

kukelley 1 year, 7 months ago

Good thing we get an opinion....some people don't..

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't view calling all midwesterners typically ignorant hayseeds any differently than calling all Arabs murderous terrorists. Both mindsets are distasteful & do nothing but perpetuate negative stereotypes & prejudices. Painting with a broad brush usually covers way more territory than it should.

Glenn Reed 1 year, 7 months ago

Well, I'm here now. Not a whole lot of people here. Looks like just the KU students and a couple of people from 6 news.

blue73harley 1 year, 7 months ago

I think it is a nice gesture. Gave me a little hope for humanity when I read the paper this morning.

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

I bet most of us are very appreciative of this effort.

"...and are met with racist stereotypes..." then "Typical midwestern hayseed ignorance."

So is this an example of pot/kettle syndrome or just plain ol' irony?

Gareth 1 year, 7 months ago

Stay classy, Kansas. An Arab student group tries to hold a vigil honoring Americans killed in Libya, and are met with racist stereotypes and questions about what "side" they're on.

Typical midwestern hayseed ignorance.

50YearResident 1 year, 7 months ago

Will they burn some Libyan Flags? Maybe pump some fists and declare "death to Libya".

SageonPage 1 year, 7 months ago

Interesting group to sponsor this event. I would like to learn about their political leanings. Many factions are trying to control Libya at present, from Muslim Brotherhood to al Qaeda to Gaddafi supporters, whom do they side with? For that matter whom does Obama and Billary side with?