Archive for Monday, September 17, 2012

Ex-lawmaker named elections official

September 17, 2012

— A former Kansas House member who runs a home-renovation business took over Monday as election commissioner in Shawnee County, a post that oversees the administration of voting in one of the state’s most populous counties.

Secretary of State Kris Kobach announced that former Rep. Andrew Howell will fill the remaining two years of former Commissioner Elizabeth Ensley Deiter’s four-year term. Deiter stepped down last week after 20 years to take an appointment from Gov. Sam Brownback as a district magistrate judge for four rural northeast Kansas counties.

Howell, 43, is a former Fort Scott police officer who represented a southeast Kansas district in the House for a decade before deciding not to seek re-election in 2004, serving on committees that dealt with tax, budget and redistricting issues. Since then, he has run his small renovation business in the Topeka area.

Kobach cited the diversity of Howell’s professional experiences as something that made him the best qualified of a pool of about half a dozen serious applicants.

“This job isn’t just about the accumulation of experience. This job is about the ability to foresee problems, to understand technology, to train people, to administer those individuals once trained,” Kobach said during a news conference. “It’s that combination of skills that Andrew brings in that uniquely qualifies him for this job.”

Comments

KS 2 years, 1 month ago

Because Kobach is named in this article, I can't wait to see the derogatory remarks about him from the Lawrence libs that have nothing to do with the appointment. Go gang. Show us your best.

somebodynew 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, OK, KS. But I am going to disappoint you. I have no love for Kobach, BUT since I do not know anything about the guy appointed other than what I just read, and there was a pool of candidates, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. From what the article says this guy seems to be qualified, so I will see, and wish him good luck.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 1 month ago

As somebodynew indicates, there is nothing in this article to suggest that this guy isn't qualified for the job. (As an aside, what are the qualifications, anyway?)

That said, Kobach's record is one that's based on pure partisanship. Why should we believe that he used any other criteria in making this appointment?

chootspa 2 years, 1 month ago

I insist you jump to conclusions and bring up off-topic debates. How dare you be reasonable and hold the same opinion I do on the matter.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

Partisanship in making appointments is a rather new feature in American politics. It's only been happening since 1776. Maybe we should wait a while until we see a trend develop. Then we might be able to equally criticize all who practice that policy.

somebodynew 2 years, 1 month ago

Exactly. This is a policital appointed position, so why wouldn't he pick someone in his party and that he has knowledge of?? If I were in charge, that is what I would do.

Now, of course the picks would be a whole lot different, but that doesn't make what he did wrong. Unless we find out something about this guy that stinks. But, I would think that would have already been stated by now.

chootspa 2 years, 1 month ago

There's partisanship and there's partisanship. I expect political appointees to be from the same party, but I also expect them to be competent and qualified for the position instead of puppets primarily hired for their radical positions on a pet issue.

I don't care if you want to make it a "both sides do it" argument. It stinks, and it should be called out whenever it happens. To be clear, I don't see any evidence that it happened in this case.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

"There's partisanship and there's partisanship" - Well, that clears things up quite a bit.

As to the both sides do it and it should be called out whenever it happens, do you? Do you call it out "whenever" it happens? Whenever, as in always. I suspect if you did, you would have no time left in your day to eat, sleep, work, etc.? Actually, I suspect your own "calling out" and your own "partisanship" are closely related.

chootspa 2 years, 1 month ago

Reading for comprehension is a lost art, I see. Some people actually finish reading the second sentence before basing a response around the first.

Yes. I call it out whenever I see an obvious ideological puppet with no job qualifications appointed to an office for the sake of upholding a single issue. This being a radical new Kansas with a whole new crop of corrupt little faux populist cronies, I don't exactly have Blago to call out here, do I?

My own partisanship = none, btw. Do I have a political point of view and an ideology? Sure. We've all got a Weltanschauung. But it's not a view or ideology actually met by either party, both of which tend to be sides of the same coin. If I had my druthers, I'd get rid of the whole system.

Fossick 2 years, 1 month ago

I've known Andrew Howell for years. He was my state rep back in the 90s and I've also worked closely with other members of his family since then. He's conservative to be sure, but he's also smart and he's honest. So if the word of an anonymous internet noise merchant is worth anything, know that he's a good guy. I know of no reason why he won't do a good job in that position.