Archive for Saturday, September 15, 2012

Classifieds section omitted from Saturday’s paper, will be included in Sunday’s edition

September 15, 2012, 7:04 a.m. Updated September 15, 2012, 10:28 a.m.

Due to an insertion error, the classifieds section was omitted from today's Journal-World. The Journal-World regrets the error, and will be including the section, which includes the crossword, in tomorrow's paper.

Customers wishing to see today's classifieds section can view it in the Green Edition on LJWorld.com. In addition, copies of today's classifieds section will be available outside the Journal-World's business offices at 609 N.H.

Comments

FarneyMac 2 years ago

LOL "breaking news." Keep spinning positive on the death spiral, LJW!

CLARKKENT 2 years ago

No classifieds in Saturday paper, will be included in Sunday paper. LOL--We did not receive our Sunday paper, we called, but they said they could not get ahold of the carrier. WOW---We never did get a paper, and they wonder why circulation is down.

Ralph Gage 2 years ago

We made a serious mistake. We apologize for it to all our readers and subscribers.

Fred Mertz 2 years ago

Things happen. It's how you respond to it after that matters. Doing all you can to fix it. That's all one can ask.

Slowponder 2 years ago

Dolph is against the free market of garage sales.. . . Always suspected he was a socialist. Now we gots duh proof!

Nikki May 2 years ago

Obviously this doesn't have anything to do with my personal ability to see the classifieds, but not everyone is online, so they won't see this. But, if I went to the gas station and picked up a paper for the purpose of seeing the classifieds, I'd not get them. They will be included tomorrow? Then you get even more of my money. Sure if you have a subscription, you'll get them, but not in a timely manner. Obviously, some of the ads could be time sensitive (garage sales for example).

Good job admitting the mistake, but ultimately there is not real solution for many people.

kernal 2 years ago

Pretty sure garage sales for today would be listed in yesterday's classified ads. Ditto for estate sales.

Ralph Gage 2 years ago

Please let us know and we will refund your purchase price. We do want to make this right.

classclown 2 years ago

I don't know if they did this or not, and it may be too late for some, but did they go out and post notices at the news stands and stores where their Sunday paper is sold?

I understand how big a task this may be, but as they admit, this is a big mistake and it calls for an even attempt to make amends. Simply saying "oops" on a website isn't enough. As punkrockmom stated above, many people won't see it online.

Phil Minkin 2 years ago

NO CROSSWORD PUZZLE! My morning is ruined.

ThePilgrim 2 years ago

Paper? What's a "paper"?

Jean Robart 2 years ago

did you call ljw and tell them> they are very good for delivering a missed paper.

FlintlockRifle 2 years ago

Did Knology buy the LJW, my e/mail has been screwed up for 3 days can receive but not send, anybody else having problems.?? Went down to Knology said they are working on it, big deal, know they will take my lost time off next month bill, right------------

Carol Bowen 2 years ago

Does that work if you already had the account set up?

Tammy Copp-Barta 2 years ago

You do know they started migrating the e-mails to a new system on the 11th, right? They sent several e-mails about it.

0011643 2 years ago

in town for the KU game and got my paper from a vending machine. no comics for the kids to read and no puzzle for me to work while we're sitting at Perkins waiting for breakfast. thanks ljworld. as always you never cease to disappoint.

Anthony Mall 2 years ago

Maybe talk to your kids??? Enjoy a family and stop complaining about being forced to interact with your children!!! Unbelievable!!!

0011643 2 years ago

believe it or not. actually sharing a printed paper in the morning is part my family's daily "interaction". it was part of my family routine in the morning when i was a kid growing up. my father believed that discussion of current events and thouroughly consuming what a printed paper had to offer around the breakfast table help to keep us "informed citizens". i can only suspect that you are of the generation that only gets it news from electronic media, one of the major reasons why print media is in such a state of decline. might i make a suggestion to you, put down the ipods, iphones, ipads, lap tops, and buy a paper!! believe it!!!

Anthony Mall 2 years ago

Would it be hypocritical for you to respond using "electronic media" device?? Hows the game?? "I suspect" sounds like "ASSuming" to me... Just like most ASSumptions, you would be wrong... Hope your kids are enjoying the game while your on your "electronic media" device ASSuming things... Have a nice day!!!

0011643 2 years ago

ha ha! not going to bight on this one. i can only say that you engage your kids your way and i will engage mine my way and yes i am having a great time. GO HAWKS. you have a great day yourself!!

Anthony Mall 2 years ago

Hmmm can't really attack that one.... Oh, its a Droid I hate Apple!!! USATODAY, CNN, FOX, NYTIMES, KCSTAR, LJWORLD all in one place...

0011643 2 years ago

well the hawks lost again :( and yes it was wrong of me to assume (suspect) anything and i do apologize. but one advantage that print does have over electronic versions of a paper. it is much easier to work the crossword. :)

JayCat_67 2 years ago

And the heat from the laptop makes the ol' legs a little to toasty sittin' on the... well... you know.

msezdsit 2 years ago

Might I make a suggestion that I absolutely won't put down my ipad, or my iphone, or my i mac to buy a newspaper. Do you know how many paper's I can read on those devises? If your advice is so good why would anyone want to only have one paper to discuss with their kids?

0011643 2 years ago

my point was not the quantity or variety of information available online but the actual activity of sitting down with your family and using the paper as a tool to facilitate interaction between family members as a family. to use the time as opportunity to instill in my kids my values and beliefs and educate them on the current events: local, state, national and international. i do this because it was the method that my parents used. i think that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to accomplish the same if each family member was using their own individual electronic device, don't you?

msezdsit 2 years ago

Yeah, I see your point. The picture that comes to mind is when I'm out in public and I see so many people looking like robots or mannequins with their hands and face and eyes locked into their (phones usually) devises. For as wonderful as the technology is, removing eye contact and social interaction is a big price. Lots of people use it as a crutch so they don't have to interact. The Ipad(tablets in general) might be the only one that could maybe come close what the newspaper accomplishes. However, if the LJW shrinks up anymore you might have to find another paper to use. Getting the family together by whatever means is always a good thing.

Jean Robart 2 years ago

too petty to make more comment on. What a shame---you were disappointed.

always_correct 2 years ago

Breaking news? And still highlighted 45 minutes later? Really, LJWorld. Stop being so full of yourself.

tomatogrower 2 years ago

The comics!!!! The comics were in that section today. Horrors!!!!

msezdsit 2 years ago

The end of era. Oh well, tough as it is I hope we can all find a way to pick up the pieces and move on.

Newell_Post 2 years ago

Newspapers make almost all of their profit from the classified ad section. So this error hurt the LJW more than it hurt most readers. And then there are the people who paid to run those ads and didn't get what they paid for. They have the most major complaint.

paulveer 2 years ago

J_W, you should be ashamed, calling this "BREAKING NEWS."

Alex Parker 2 years ago

While this story doesn't fit the traditional definition of breaking news, we wanted to make sure those wondering where their classified section was saw this message when they came to the website. By putting it at the top of the page, we ensured people would see it and have their questions answered.

Alex Parker Digital Editor

paulveer 2 years ago

Alex, thanks for the response. Top of the page, and "BREAKING NEWS!" are two different things. You may have had customer service motivations (in fact this is merely that: a customer service notice), but, in case you're interested, according to me and apparently some other posters, this move made the J-W look rather unprofessional.
And I think you make it worse by doubling down and defending the move here, instead of saying something like: "Yeah, sorry, I guess that was a little over the top." Paul

Ralph Gage 2 years ago

We were scrambling, doing the best we could at the time with the resources we had. No excuse. We fell short of our own and others' expectations on many fronts. We certainly will learn from your reaction (although we hope we don't have any similar situation anytime soon.) Thanks!

Ralph Gage 2 years ago

Sorry if this is duplicated. We were scrambling and trying to do what we could to get the message out. No excuses. We screwed up. We're embarrassed. We will learn from the criticisms and appreciate the constructive responses. And we certainly hope we don't have to resort to "breaking news" anytime soon.

msezdsit 2 years ago

While lots of people are criticizing this, (I just saw the humor in it)I'm sure there are people who found it to be beneficial to them for the very reasons you have indicated. Lots of people are making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

Tammy Copp-Barta 2 years ago

As much as the garage sales ads cost, I hope those people will be credited, as some pick up the paper on Saturday instead of Friday.

Ralph Gage 2 years ago

Yes, our advertising department is addressing this issue.

somedude20 2 years ago

To make up for it, why don't you start having a "page 6" girl like the ole UK has!

clovis_sangrail 2 years ago

I thought that was what Style Scout was, but it needs a little work to measure up to UK standards.

racerx 2 years ago

Doesn't anyone at the JW spot-check copies during production? No quality control process in place?

I'd be willing to give the JW a pass on this if I didn't have to call for a replacement paper every time it rains because a covered porch 30 feet from the road is considered an upgrade in service and double bagging apparently is too. If porch delivery is $5 extra....could I get double bagging on rain days for say....$1.50 extra?

Lawrence Morgan 2 years ago

Apologies were made. Accidents do happen. Ralph Gage apologized right away, as well as did Alex Parker. I'm not part of the Journal-World staff, but I feel their apology was very prompt, and the Journal-World continues to be a very good paper, one of the best for its readership in the nation.