Archive for Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Haskell’s athletic programs put on probation through 2014

September 12, 2012

The Haskell Indian Nations University men’s and women’s athletic programs have been placed on probation through 2014 for “violations involving ineligible players,” according to the website of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, or NAIA.

The Journal-World was unable to reach a representative from Haskell Tuesday afternoon for comment.

The probation listing is just the most recent development following a Journal-World investigation that began in May. An anonymous letter to the Journal-World about an internal investigation prompted Haskell officials to issue a news release that provided vague information about a federal investigation into falsified student-athlete ACT scores at the school.

The release stated that employees were “disciplined for manipulation of three other student transcripts” but did not specify what those actions were or which sports were involved.

Haskell President Chris Redman scheduled, then canceled, several interviews since May. He has declined requests for an interview pending the results of an open records request filed by the Journal-World May 18 with the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

For the past several months the Journal-World has been in contact with BIA officials about the records requests but has yet to receive any documents related to an investigation into Haskell.

Comments

LeBo 2 years, 2 months ago

What would our ancestors think. Cheating and athletics are a by product. Education is the important part. To stain the University reputation for sports is poor.

Topple 2 years, 2 months ago

These days...universities care more about athletics than education. They'd probably say it's because all of the money it brings to the university but it seems they are letting the tail wag the dog.

audvisartist 2 years, 2 months ago

Kinda seems like you guys are picking on Haskell. I'd like to see what kind of stuff the other universities around these parts are up to.

Topple 2 years, 2 months ago

I know KU athletes have "baby sitters" to go around and make sure the athletes are in their classes.

ECM 2 years, 2 months ago

Way to paint all KU athletes with a broad brush. So while your statement might apply to some sports, especially those leading to pro careers, it certainly does not represent the majority.

asixbury 2 years, 2 months ago

My husband used to teach Chem classes at KU. He was actually given a notice from the athletics program (numerous ones pertaining to students in his class) that stated he should follow these athlete's academic progress and report to them if they start to slip. A reasonable request if it weren't for the fact that he had well over 50 students he taught (not all were athletes of course) on top of grad school classes and research projects that added up to 12+ hour days. He politely told them that he would show no favoritism to any of his students, athletes included, and did not have the time to be their babysitter.

christine_11 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't think anyone is picking on Haskell. Falsification of scores for an athlete to play is big. What is worse is whoever was in that position to change things is a government employee. How does that make Haskell look or the BIA look when their employees are doing such actions?

johnsont1 2 years, 2 months ago

^has no clue as to the conditions in which many Native Americans grow up.

asixbury 2 years, 2 months ago

With their free healthcare and free education opportunities (among many others), it is hard to feel sorry for them. They have the same opportunities as any other citizen in this country. I grew up extremely poor and had to fight to get where I am today. I had no one, especially not the government, help me. It was due to my personal efforts alone that created my present reality. People need to stop blaming others for their situations and start doing something about it. I did.

johnsont1 2 years, 2 months ago

I met someone last week who grew up on a Navajo reservation in Arizona. He said that conditions were horrible because the rations they are given ($200/month, $2400/year) doesn't even come close to the current definition of a poverty income (about $20k). We're talking about the poorest 1%; wherein alcoholism and corruption is rampant. They have the highest school-dropout rates - even relative to poor areas of major cities. If someone has a job, they're going to travel a long way to get there. It's impossible for them to build credit because they do not 'own' their own land - which is necessary for having collateral and building credit to. It's great that you apparently overcame the conditions in which you grew up, and it's hard for me to respond to that without knowing more about your childhood, education, and what your present reality is. Similarly, could you please reconsider next time before speaking out about people that you do not know much about? If all you cite is free healthcare and education as reasons for not feeling bad for them, you're way behind my friend...

Jeanette Kekahbah 2 years, 2 months ago

Before riding on your high horse, Asixbury, try walking in others' shoes. Just saying.

asixbury 2 years, 2 months ago

No offense meant. I meant that I overcame very hard obstacles to get where I'm at today and if I can do it, so can they.

jaydokie 2 years, 2 months ago

Haskell isn't under BIA, they are under the Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) for several years now. Its an agency in the Department of the Interior, but is a individual agency on the same org line as BIA in the DOI organization.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 2 months ago

The BIA has discovered that HINU has falsified records concerning the grades and thus the eligibility of certain athletes, and there will be consequences. This has absolutely nothing to do with any other college or university in Kansas.

Newell_Post 2 years, 2 months ago

Haskell has an athletic program? Who knew?

jaydokie 2 years, 2 months ago

Newell_Post That's a juvenile response aimed toward college age students who are at Haskell hoping for an education and a better life. Pick on yourself because I am sure you have some issues we could rag on. BTW, hows your KU football program doing, and how has your track team been since Billy Mills (1964 10K Medal Winner) left KU?

Ricky_Vaughn 2 years, 2 months ago

Just another incident in a long line of Haskell screw-ups and cover-ups. This entire school is a FAIL.

NVET 2 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Vaughn

Its not as bad as you think, yes Haskell has it faults. Its not a failure. There are many young natives that attend their for a purpose, and like all young people, thats to start their journey in life. Haskell has helped me to to explore opportunities in life, and I can say I was proud to have attended. Yes it is a paid for by taxpayers money, but I'm not going to sit here and say its all because of what happened in the past, or broken treaties, etc., I was not alive then(Talk about coverups). Anyway I'm not going to get into that, I just want to say before you become judgemental stop and go see Haskell and read the history.

jaydokie 2 years, 2 months ago

Good comment NVET. I recall a recent incident where the KU football and basketball boys had a difference of opinion that didn't look favorable in the news. All colleges have their history. Should I use USC as an example? But really, the reason I comment is that the U.S. government does owe Indians health and education as part of their promise. We agreed to many treaties which reduced our land base and restricted us to reservations. After that, we again agreed to further reduce our land base because the U.S. needed more land. We have kept our promises and the U.S. isn't giving anything, but rather, attempting to keep their treaties and promises which created a home and life for many non-Indians. This isn't meant to be adversarial but merely clarifying the mindset that always feels that we, Indians, shouldn't have a right to expect that promises paid for should be kept.

Leandra Galindo 2 years, 2 months ago

Let's not blame this one on the students, let's blame it on the unprofessionalism of the individuals who thought they could cheat the system.

NotMeAgain 2 years, 2 months ago

This is no different from any other University in the U.S. that cheated for sport athletes. We all seen True movies about this. Nothing have to do with being a Native American or Native school.

drillsgt 2 years, 2 months ago

get the real story first..this just didnt happen this happrn under a acting pres watch who had friends who let this slip...this just didnt happen..this was a few years ago,,and the spokesman who puts out press releases is only saying what she tells them to put out..that was a different AD...at a really bad time during those years, and the registar and the seceratary , who no longer in the office, should be held for the problem..and blaming people who are no longer there is false, im sure they will bring some sort of lawsuite against the acting on the watch...Just by reading these reports, it just natives and non natives and half breeds fighting with each other over controll of that place..and the only ones hurting are the students and the ones who play sports why they go to school full time.I think the "birdwell" group allowed this to happen on purpose.to spite other people who put the time in at school and for sports. yes lots of problems out here..leadership, employees , stealing , hear- say, people getting hired cause they are buddies..yeah and classes no better than a high school credit, ..